Welcome Shawn Hunter

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by Ranka, Sep 11, 2007.

1. rock-star_79

rock-star_79 New Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Milwaukee
    I agree with futgod. On the Chivas USA site it doesn't say anything about Hunter owing part of the club, or did I miss that. I know it was said in an LA times article but not on the official site.

I just can't see Vergara selling his part, his ego is to big for that. Plus I can't see him giving the Chivas name to someone without a massive royalty price tag which would cost to much for the team to keep. I worry that our identity maybe be leaving us. :confused:

2. glyconerd

glyconerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    I wouldn't read too much into the moving out of LA rumors. This guy was brought in for his marketing brilliance. Cue has said he wanted a strong FO..

Has anyone ever thought that if the LA times article is correct about being part owner, he might only hold a small percentage? Again this is just speculating, just like all of you guys are doing regarding Vergara's share sale.

I would enjoy Hunter's stay and only speculate as to what he will bring to Chivas USA. Just look at his accomplishments.

I just caught is that Hunter will be President-CEO and GM. Either way I think this is a positive move to better market chivas. :)

3. agutierrez

agutierrez New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    LA
    I agree with Glyco. For our team to play the best football yet and still lack attendance is not how it should work. I expect to see good things. Hopefully we will all have a team that represents it's roots, but can open itself to an american audience.

4. glyconerd

glyconerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
  5. Gameface

Gameface BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 25, 2000
    Southern California
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that I'll take a wait and see approach to the addition of Shawn Hunter as CEO and part owner. He has proven his worth in selling "ice" hockey in the desert so he may be a worthy addition. My only concern comes from his affiliation to AEG and its disdain for the loyal fan.

6. Ranka

Ranka Member

Apr 1, 2005
    He left AEG to do something on his own, per LA Times...
    Chivas ownership is a big reason to leave AEG if you ask me :D

7. Futbolfan77

Futbolfan77 New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Upland, CA
    This is by far one of the best things in the short history of Chivas USA, hopefully this will help with getting bigger crowds to the games. Becuase the front office right now sucks at promoting this team maybe he will bring a whole new team.

8. sin palabras

sin palabras New Member

May 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    everyone just best stay out of preki's business tho

9. RMoreno

RMoreno Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Southern California
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    This will show my lack of knowledge...
    but how will this guy get people in the stadium?:confused:

This team is already kickin' ass on the field...
    It has extremely affordable ticket prices...
    It has a loyal fan base (la legion)...
    It has the ChivaGirls!;)

I go to the games to see the game and soak in the atmoshpere
    I am not going to see "Shawn Hunter!"

I am not trying to bag on this guy (especially since I don't know him) but what is his first decision?

just curious. I guess I am still overreacting to all of this relocation and re-branding talk:confused: and it is way past my bedtime.

10. Gameface

Gameface BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 25, 2000
    Southern California
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First order of business, Stop preaching to the choir and market to the general public. There has been no attempt to market this team to the english speaking soccer fan.

11. Albee1

Albee1 New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Do any of you local guys go to the games? I'm trying to make it to a game, but i live all the way down here in san diego

12. ekker3

ekker3 Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    exactly. time to walk the walk.

we've wasted 3 of our 5 project years with no real intention of bringing mainstream/casual fans in. its encouraging to see this mindset change.

13. ekker3

ekker3 Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    [​IMG]
    yes, if you look closely, his jersey says "el cazador"..."the hunter"

on the bright side, according to shawn hunter, he's infering that he's keeping chivas in the HDC for the long run.

other things to note from today's conference:
    - wanted best product in 5 years
    - will bring a full stadium just like galaxy
    - has no problem with chivas kicking butts of galaxy, and he expects it this thursday.
    - when asked how much ownership percentage he had - he said he couldnt disclose that, but he mentioned it was "big enough to motivate him and keep him up at night." hmmmmm.

here's more audio from the question and answer session:
    http://media23a.libsyn.com/podcasts...eca9/46e77f30/sidelineviews/0911_Hunter_2.wav

14. Differ

Differ Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'm hoping Hunter made this move because he didn't like the direction AEG was going in as far as MLS goes (except Houston)and wants to start a project on his own.

Rebranding is a last ditch effort and pretty much says "We give up". A name modification to get rid of or replace that "USA" however, to me feels necessary.

With rebranding you'll pretty much lose what little history this organization has established. While you do start with a clean slate, you end up losing more than you've gained, even if you wouldn't be losing all that much.

All I ask is that the team stay in L.A.
    That Hunter does not interfere with roster moves.

Is that too much to ask?

15. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    MLS ain't PDL. So. If he is part owner, El Cazador has bling bling.

16. glyconerd

glyconerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    http://sidelineviews.blogspot.com/2007/09/hunter.html

Well that should put alot of concerns to rest! Goodnight. :)

17. rock-star_79

rock-star_79 New Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Milwaukee
    I feel better now. Shawn responded well in the press release and I think laid all our nightmares to rest.
    I'm sold!!! on to Thursdays match. :D

18. Ranka

Ranka Member

Apr 1, 2005
    why?
    perhaps, more resources that can eventually translate to Chivas own stadium.
    Check out the last paragraph in today's L A times article.

I would post the link up but I am posting this from my phone.

19. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What phone you got? :D

LA Times

It makes sense. You get your own stadium. You control your own revenue streams.

20. Ranka

Ranka Member

Apr 1, 2005
    This thing called the iPhone :D

Thanks for helping out with the link!

21. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    A que mamon creido! :D:p

No prob. Things are looking interesting at least for 2008 in so far as marketing approach.

I am still curious about that part ownership deal. :D

22. rock-star_79

rock-star_79 New Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Milwaukee
    Are you thinking of leaving FC Dallas to join the Chivas Family? :D

23. Differ

Differ Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Is that our good friend Joe underscore Cannon's comment toward the end of the page? His rants never cease to entertain me.

They're like a spoiled only child, as soon as they have to share (and get outshined) they cry foul and want us out of "their" house.

Oh, and I too am part of the iPhone posters club Ranka belongs to. I'm not ashamed to say it even though the price cut hurt my feelings.

24. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well in that case if it means 20 new owners but we get a stadium than is fine by me:D

25. ekker3

ekker3 Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    i just heard that Hunter just hired Elaine Benes as his Vice President.:confused:
    [​IMG]