Welcome Houston !

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Viking64, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    This is great for the league, and for the Dallas franchise. It's going to be a great rivalry.

Welcome to MLS.

Now get to work! :D

2. Jonno

Jonno New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Austin, TX
    So who is gonna get things rolling down there for the supporters?

Send me a pm if you have questions.

3. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So...any guesses as to what to expect from H-town press conference? Ownership? Stadium? Name? :confused:

4. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    The return of Enron Field . .er, maybe not.

Well, I'm happy for my hometown, but not how they got a team. I really hope SJ gets the Quakes back real dang soon.

As far as next season goes, I'll for sure be coming down to see my Chicago Fire beat the crap out of Houston MLS next season. I'm sure I'll need to take a business trip back to Houston (my company's HQ) or just to see my folks . . . either way, it'll give me a chance to see MLS down there. When I left Houston, the last pro soccer team was the Houston Hotshots . . . played in the Astro Arena. If Houston MLS plays at UH, I'll be even more happy, being a UH alumni.

Go FIRE!!

5. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would expect the first two for sure, but name and colors I’m not so sure, my guess is that AEG saw this come and has everything set up because there is no time to lose. But, who knows?

6. corporate0000

corporate0000 New Member

Aug 16, 2005
    Houston

I'm not so sure it's great for the league. It is great for the city of Houston, and yes, it will be a great rivalry with Dallas.

Not that many SJ fans will appreciate it, but I genuinely do feel bad for them. Many, many people here know what it's like to lose a sports team to another city: it feels awful. I always wanted a team in H-town, but not at another team's expense.

But now that the team is coming, I can't wait to get the rivalry with Dallas up and running.

7. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys are getting a great group of players that could challenge for the title..

8. Jonno

Jonno New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Except they had a huge advantage playing on a micro-field. They're gonna have to adjust some now.

Also they were used to relatively clean ocean air. Just wait till they try running around on a nice big soccer field with 20 pounds of oil & water in their lungs.

9. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha!

I'm so torn now. I want to be happy about getting a team, but not about getting the San Jose Earthquakes. :(

10. houstonmls

houstonmls Member

Aug 11, 1999
    Dallas
    I have waited so long for this to happen.

11. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    This is a very exciting day for Houston. I have heard that they will be playing in Robertson Stadium but the announcement will be tomorrow.
    Tomorrow December 16th at 10:00 AM at Houston’s City Hall there will be an announcement made that Houston is receiving a MLS franchise team.

You are invited to attend.

As many people need attend this announcement as possible to show the soccer community’s support for this franchise.

Please circulate this message to anyone you think may have an interest.

12. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention playing in 90 degree plus in August with 70% humidity (and it will be that hot even if night games do become the norm as opposed to Saturday afternoon games). It'll be a nice advantage when we get used to it.

I absolutely can't get out of work tomorrow or I'd be at city hall. Waiting patiently for the supporter's group to get going...

13. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Good homefield advantage and the players in Houston will have a big advantage.

I hope a lot of people show up at City Hall. I have to travel to Dallas tomorrow or I would be there.

14. Lost_In_SLC

Lost_In_SLC New Member

May 28, 2005
    The Front Range
    Congrats Houston.

Name the team the Houston Ladronzuel.

BTW, you got one year for the title before your heart and soul is sent packing to Toronto.

Welcome to the MLS where the most valuable thing is ripped away and sent packing in the night.

15. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    What Beckham7 said....you're getting a terrific team--the best, by the true definition of the word. The microfield was a "plus" for the Quakes but they didn't get that Supporter's Shield because they played at home 32 times. They got it because they played smart and they played for each other. As a now-former season ticket holder, I like to think they also played for us--the fans.

Take care of our boys and enjoy them. Build them the best f**in' stadium in MLS and give them our regards. They are already terribly missed.

16. Allan Quatermain

Oct 23, 2001
    The Lost City of Gol
    Club:
    DC United
    It won't be that much of an advantage. Those are the same conditions you'll find in DC and KC, for instance.

Houston is just more likely to have it in months like May or September/October.

17. mjtate

mjtate Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Westerville, OH
    Congrats! I couldn't wait long enough and moved to Columbus this past May, but I'm happy all of you back in Houston will enjoy MLS in person.

18. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will!

19. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, no, no. Tell all visiting players that it's so oppressively hot and humid that they need to conserve as much energy as possible when they play here. Tell them to avoid doing much running. Don't chase down balls or rush to get back defensively. Just trot around and take it easy. ;)

20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well pro outdoor soccer is back. Oliver Luck is to be the Prez of the franchise. I want Team Houston to really grow the local talent that is deep in our streets.

Here's to Garber making sure the San Jose Earthquakes logo, records and 2 MLS Cups stay put for the supporters sake. That was some alegria left there that can never be taken away.

21. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations, guys! Looking forward to attending many games - especially when you play the G's and Dallas. Start building some rivalries!

22. CarpFam5

CarpFam5 New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Houston
    What a day for Houston. I feel bad for San Jose fans. But hey, a sport I can actually afford to take my kids to see. April can't get here fast enough.

23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    With a screenname like that, who woulda guessed?

Enjoy, Joel.

24. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulaions guys, and welcome to MLS! :)

Robertson stadium looks like an AWESOME venue to play in....perfect for soccer.