Weinergate?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Steamer, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    You have to imagine things would be easier for him if somewhere down the line, someone in his family had changed the spelling to "Viner", which is how it would actually be pronounced in German.

Anyway, so assuming for a moment that that actually is his package (because he doesn't seem to be denying it), and giving him the benefit of the doubt that he only took it for his and his wife's personal enjoyment and amusement, how does he fully recover from this politically? That's the second-best-case scenario (best case being that it isn't his package and he was totally set up), but every time he steps in front of a camera from now on to talk about the debt ceiling or taxes or wealth inequality, people will be thinking "That's the guy called Weiner who took a picture of his weiner." He needs to strategize with Bill Clinton about how to emerge from an embarassing scandal even more popular than prior to it.

2. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    As the saying goes...Maddow is more woman than youll ever have and more man than youll ever be.

3. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Right. Those Ellis Island immigration officers had a sly sense of humor.
    Maybe his wife can call her old boss?

To me (and David Halberstam), Clinton's secret was getting his opponents to overplay their hands. It worked with the budget fight and he let the GOP hold an impeachment vote. I think the question is whether there's another shoe that's ready to drop. For Clinton, once it was revealed he got a blow jay in the Oval Office from a chubby intern, that was it. He was in a position of strength because there was nothing else to dig up. If the worst thing about the Weiner affair was some mischief, then he's in good shape. Then he can just plead to be left alone so he could work for his constituents and the American people in general.

4. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my. So Rep Weiner should be wondering if this story would have had ay legs at all if he had kept his mouth shut. This gets better and better, all because he can't shut up. Classic.

So Weiner pulls a boner and now the press has a hard-on for him. Turns out he thought he was Cock-O-the-Walk but he's really just a dick.

The GOP can just sit back and watch him continue digging the whole he is in. What a total and complete idiot. And a little pervert too.

5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    A word of advice, put down your drink before reading this gem...

FAREWELL, MY WEINER
    Excerpts from the new Inspector Dan Rather mystery

Secrets are funny things. The harder you try to keep them under wraps, the harder they spring up in the most embarrassing places. And in my line of business, you learn that no matter how you try thinking about baseball those secrets can jump right out of their soft cotton comfort and put you on ice permanently.

My name is Rather. And I'm a dick.

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well then, guess I'm too late to add any poorly constructed double-entendre, cliches, or mixed metaphors, those seem to have been all used up :)

7. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weiner has been - by far - my favorite politician over the last couple of years. I love his candor and his passion. This sucks. It reminds me of how I felt when Holden got injured against Man U. I believe The Guardian would call it "gutted."

The only positive is it's taking some of the spotlight away from Palin's magical mystery photo-op extravaganza of five minute stops at places she heard were important but doesn't know why and can't pull out the right talking points at the right times doesn't even know what the DREAM act was tour.

8. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Ozzy Osbourne said if you want to be cool these days, don't get a tattoo, because that will set you apart from every other Tom, Dick and Harry. Your post is more memorable thanks to the lack of played-out double-entendres!

9. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Same here. The double whammy would be if a photo of Bernie Sanders' penis were to be made public!

10. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    My understanding is that Weiner's candor and passion are sort of a package deal that also includes immaturity and lack of polish, and this episode reveals the downside for sure.

Also, I've read that his next step was running for NYC mayor in 2013, and assuming there's no other shoe waiting to drop, I think he's actually in okay shape.
    You said "dick". Heh heh.

11. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    All of you seem to be overlooking another possibility: that it's not a picture of Weiner's junk that he saved on a photosite, but it was just one of a collection of pictures of other men's junk that he has accumulated on his photosite for his own private viewing pleasure, and that it is in fact his own sexual preferences that he is trying to cover up by not categorically denying that it is his junk.

I mean, really - look at the picture of that girl, then look at Weiner - really? It never occured to you that she might just be pulling a Lisa Marie Presley?

12. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    But he's a radical left-winger from a liberal East Coast district, not a family-values right winger from Idaho. Why would he need to cover up his sexuality?

EDIT: Not to mention, I would think if he enjoyed looking at men's penises, he'd have pictures in which they were actually visible!

13. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Not everyone is comfortable with the public reaction to their homosexuality. Just look at what Barney Frank has to put up with?

Coverage of the private parts doesn't seem to hurt sales of SI Swimsuit editions.

14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    For Yoss,

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-sb8e3P4LM&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - ‪It's My D*ck in A Tweet‬‏[/ame]

With Love, Tony.

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    President of FIFA.

17. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a pretty sad list when President of FIFA is far and away the #1 choice.

18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Phew! Close call. :D

19. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The possibilities are narrowing.

Either it's his junk, it's his lover's junk, or it's the junk of some random dude, and Rep. Weiner likes to look at pictures of that kind of thing.

Only other possibility is that he totally knows it's not his, but he's being coy because he wants people to wonder if his is really that big.

20. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    My guess is that its the alleged picture of Brett Favre...

21. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    If Segroves were here to respond to this his response would be:

Big???

22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    :D

In all honesty it just looks like someone's stuck a rolled up sock in his pants as a joke. Also, maybe I misunderstood but I was under the impression you could actually SEE something whereas you can't in the picture in that link. (Not that I'm complaining mind:D).

TBH it looks like part of another, larger picture. Maybe that's the reason for the guy's confusion? :confused:

24. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I'm more and more convinced that Weiner is totally cool with this brouhaha.

25. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They say no publicity is bad publicity...?