Weight Lifting in Season

Discussion in 'Player' started by Soccerfan010, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Soccerfan010

Soccerfan010 Member

Jan 14, 2013
    Should weight lifting be stopped during the season? Or should it be limited to just upper body?

2. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can't say I'm an expert on the matter, but most top clubs have weights rooms for their players, so they don't stop during the season.

The key thing I suppose is that they use them to get toned rather than going for bulk.

3. ejgrownarseman

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You still need to lift (total body) or all your off season work is for not. However, you should go lighter with the goal of simply maintaining strength and muscle mass. No need to go too hard. Be sure to stretch immediately after your work out...I find that really helps cut down on recovery time. Make sure you're giving yourself enough time to recover before matches, particularly your legs.

4. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    No. No.
    Keep in mind three points--
    1. When you stop strength training altogether, your body loses fitness--it detrains. So at a minimum you want to do enough training to maintain your fitness level.
    2. Weight lifting is not the only type of strength training.
    3. Strength not only helps performance, but is also important for injury prevention. Specific needs are going to vary based on gender, age, and other factors. The more advanced the athlete, the more need for individualized training programs.

5. adam7879

adam7879 New Member

May 6, 2013
    well in my opinion you should continue weightlifting but concrentrate on the speed not the power

6. ejgrownarseman

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is incredibly vague and doesn't make any sense in regards to lifting weights.

7. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Generally, for the in season programs, you would lift once or twice, twice maximum. The focus is on movements that are considered major, and nothing extraneous is done. So, the set/reps schemes are usually 3x5s with a focus on lifting speed but at the same time pushing the resistance to 80-85% of 1RM. I have seen routines that did splits, ie upper body one day, lower body on another day, and then did a short regeneration session another day.
    Me personally, I lift twice in season and I do a total body routine each time, but focus on slightly different movements, so nothing is ignored.

8. Wytefang

Wytefang Member

May 11, 2013
    I'm new (hello) here but I would agree with much of what Dejansavicevic10 has said. I wouldn't stop lifting during the season (at all) but be mindful of the timings of when you workout so that you don't overdue it before an important match or something.

9. Soccerfan010

Soccerfan010 Member

Jan 14, 2013
    Thanks for the help everyone. If I was to start weight lifting, should I wait until after the season?

10. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    I am making some assumptions based on the fact that you are asking this question here.
    There is no reason for you to delay training, but--
    Get medical clearance before starting to weight lift
    Lift under supervision of someone knowledgable
    -This is important for safety and efficiency
    Schedule your weightlifting around your soccer activity
    - Don't lift the day before a match or on match day
    - If you have practice sessions, lift after the session not before
    - Be watchful for signs of overtraining, too much exercise is bad for performance and risks injury.

11. Squex

Squex Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Fenerbahce SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    how to Bulk during season ?

I usually train alone everiday for 2 hours and going to start doing hit sessions 3 times a week, I workout from monday to saturday, and I usually have 3 matches a month separated by week.

12. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    "Bulk" is not a training objective for athletics.

13. Squex

Squex Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Fenerbahce SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You need to bulk to be able to compete against professional players bodys

14. CoachingNoob

CoachingNoob Member

Apr 4, 2013
    You eat more (take a lot of care to not gain fat). Keep doing the weightlifting for gains in power/maximal strength, if you change it to get bulk your muscles will be super horrible for sports. You can aim to increase the cross section of specific types of fibers, but not much, and it's more for an advanced lifter already.

15. Squex

Squex Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Fenerbahce SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So deadlift is a good workout?or should this be only use by bodybuilders?

16. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    No you don't. You need speed, agility and quickness to improve your movement. More power improves your movement. More strength prevents injury. So athletes do strength training to improve power and strength. Body builders lift for appearance.

17. Squex

Squex Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Fenerbahce SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Powerlifters don´t lift for apperance..

Any kind of workout done with weights will contribute for you to gain muscle mass, bulking its not always for apperance, if you don´t go to the gym and lift weights you will never get a professional condition, and you can gain mass and still be fast

18. CoachingNoob

CoachingNoob Member

Apr 4, 2013
    It's great!

19. CoachingNoob

CoachingNoob Member

Apr 4, 2013
    You will have to find a great trainer to help you with form and how to properly design your weightlifting for your goals or study quite a bit about how to do it.

If you do it wrong it can ruin your performance or cause a serious injury.

20. matherold

matherold Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Definitely continue lifting in season. Just drop the volume (total amount of work performed). Some would argue about dropping intensity and I would say there are some risks if you lift near maximal weights on the nervous system, but you can still keep lifting percentages pretty high. 2-3 sets of 2-6 reps not ever going over 90% 1rm on any exercise seems smart. Here is something I have used and athletes actually get stronger and faster during season. Place the training with at least a day before matches. Back squats should have a warm up set or two.

Day 1
    A1. Back squat or front squat or deadlift 2-3 sets of 2-6 reps
    A2. Pull ups 2-3 sets of 4-10 reps
    B1. Glut ham curls 2-3 sets of 4-6
    B2. DB incline bench press 2-3 sets of 4-6 reps

Day 2
    A1. Rdl or hip thrust 2-3 sets of 6-8 reps
    A2. Overhead press 2-3 sets of 6-8 reps
    B1. Step ups, side lunges or pistols 2-3 sets of 4-6 reps each
    B2. DB row or seated row 2-3 sets of 6-12 reps

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  21. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria

Squex,

The focus of strength training in season is not to "bulk". The focus is first and foremost, preventing or decreasing injuries, and then maintaining strength. If your focus is on being athletic, then you need to focus on being strong, able to generate high rates of power, and moving well(ie agility, movement skills). "Bulk" can be sometimes the end result of a strength program, but that is typically not the main focus, except during certain phases in the off season routine.

Look at it this way, which would you prefer? To be fast, and strong on the ball, or look like a body builder, but get beat on every 50/50 ball. If you believe in bulk, then please continue with your current routines, and find yourself bench warming.........

22. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria

Squex,

Deadlifting is fine, it is a good substitute for squatting. I would recommend you use a trap bar for your deadlifts.

23. Squex

Squex Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Fenerbahce SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  24. CoachingNoob

CoachingNoob Member

Apr 4, 2013
    These increase strength a bit, they are good to increase the speed/power of your punches :D, I used them when training for martial arts, most of the strength come from having a strong core capable of transferring the force to the limbs.

There isn't much use to doing 50 reps to increase strength, keep it at a max of 20 and do more sets, increase the difficulty of the exercise if it's too easy.

25. Squex

Squex Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Fenerbahce SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

can this help to increase speed for runs?

I found this strength progam for soccer, could anyone tell me if its good, or could anyone reccommend me a progam for soccer strength

http://books.google.com.br/books?id...ge&q=soccer weight off season workout&f=false