Weight gaining

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by cageyfoot, Apr 25, 2003.

1. cageyfoot

cageyfoot New Member

Feb 8, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I'm attempting to fill out for the summer and build up some fat to burn before my backpacking trip to europe this summer. Any ideas on really packing the mass on quickly? I've increased the number of meals I eat per day to five (incl. 2 16 oz. MetRx protein shakes). I'm also reluctant to stop my weekend soccer jaunts. Is it possible to gain between 10-15 pds.? Currently, I'm 6ft 167.

thanks

2. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    You can gain weight really quckly if you take creatine before your weight lifting workouts. However, once you stop taking creatine (which, if I'm not mistaken, allows your body to store more water in its muscles), the weight goes away kind of quickly. The stuff can also be murder on the stomach.

3. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Also, eat lots and lots of carbs when you're actually over there. As much as you can, get away from the tourist areas when you eat. You'll find that the price of meals goes WAAAAAAY down, and you'll be able to get more food for your money.

4. Turk from Pigs Eye

Turk from Pigs Eye New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    Pigs Eye (St. Paul),
    I would say be careful what you wish for. Sounds like your weight isn't too low in relation to your height and you're doing fine. Most people have the opposite problem.

5. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely! I was once your size (in fact, 6'1", 158#) You didn't mention your age, but you'll get plenty of fat as you age; the slower you gain it the better off you'll be. Forty years later, I'm in pretty good shape, but weigh 215. The more you gain, the more you have to carry around. I would do some lifting to try to build some muscle mass. Keep up the soccer, and have a great time. :)

6. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    Samoan steroides= rice and beer

7. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Get married. That should put on lots of pounds.

:)

8. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    1..it is all calorie related. You want to eat many healthy meals (as you are doing) and make sure that each day you get around 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of your body weight. Your body can only digest around 40 grams per sitting so loading up in 1 meal wont cut it...
    also try to limit too much fat inthe diet. you want to get big, but not fat...

2. Lift weights 3-4 times a week. NOTE: MORE SESSIONS IS NOT BETTER. You want to be in t\he gym no more than an hour per session, and work each muscle no more than 2x a week. (I work 'em 1x week with good results..)
    pick 2 exercises per body part, 8-12 reps for 3 sets (not including 2 light warmups)...

3. Stick with mass builders, avoid machines. stick to basics, : squats, bench press, military press, bent over rows, upright rows, carbell curls, dips. for size building stay away from excessive cable work or isolation movements like concentration curls..

4. Creatine is really good as earlier mentioned...

hope this helps..