PBP: Week 7- Pre/In/Post-Game Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BlueCrimson, May 24, 2013.

1. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm. Sounds familiar. Where have we heard this before? ;)

I think he's better than some have been saying. There have been some growing pains, most notably against WNY when their strategy of long balls to Cuellar wasn't working and he waited too long to make adjustments.

2. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    FCKC have put all their eggs in the basket of Renae Cuellar to carry their offensive goal-scoring.
    It will burn them before they win a championship with it.

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I never claimed it was original...just that Im going with it

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    A lot of that is just the system he plays. Cuellar doesnt seem the typical stand at the top of the box player u see in a 1-5. She is good getting behind and nice in the counter but when teams take that away KC has to get their scoring out of the attacking mids. U saw it on the Cheney goal (off side). That is text book way to score with a 1-5. The offense is there...if the team runs it badly u cant throw it on the coach.

5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    The difference between the Philadelphia Independence and Fack-City, is that Philadelphia had Paul Riley. It's safe to say that Fack-City doesn't have a Paul Riley. The jury is still out on the coaching in FCKC, just like it is for most other franchises at this point. Sky Blue has proven coaching. WNY has proven coaching.

6. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

i said they would be a .500 club by mid-season, and they are right on track at 3-2-1 right now, but get stronger towards the end of the season

his one forward system doesn't work against teams with fast CBs, because if renae isn't running forward, she has a lead pipe for a foot, when it comes to dribbling from a stand still. against wny and sbfc, the main direct forward killers, he continued for 70 mins or so, trying to feed the ball to renae. i guess he was thinking rampone or estelle would fall down. she's not creative enough to face up against those two, just isnt. best talent on the field, but not best coaching. he must watch a lot of french national team videos.

i asked a question after the 1st 2 or 3 games, how could they play, if they fell behind 0:1? they play the same as if they are ahead 1:0. o_O that's coaching in my book. they will need to draw portland in the playoffs, because i might have to agreed with wps they aren't beating wny. of course they will beat them during the regular season, and will pick up a win against sbfc at some put, but in the playoffs i don't know.

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    In a one forward u need someone like Lotta Schelin. She can beat u down the field and get the easy goal. She can counter attack and score going to the post. She can play with her back to the goal and get get her own shot. If the lone forward cant do that ur mids better score and take up te slack.

8. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What KC is doing seems reasonable given who they have. They weren't allocated Baby Horse and Sinclair; they weren't allocated Wambach. Cuellar is reasonably effective but what KC seems to have is a pretty dangerous looking midfield with the likes of Cheney, Mewis, Farrelly and the big enigma, Casey Nogueira Loyd.

Mewis, for example, has had some pretty spectacular shots but none of them have yet found the back of the net. I notice she has the most shots on the team along with Cheney and just ahead of Cuellar.Make of it what you will - you can say they're not getting the results but I don't think KC's approach has been unreasonable. We all suspected Mewis of being a dangerous player and she's looked exactly that.

Of course, one can always say they need to bring in Melissa Henderson - and that's a reasonable point of discussion but, if recent history has taught us anything, it's folly to assume some promising player out of college is immediately going to have an impact on the scoresheet.

Namdynamo repped this.
  9. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

i don't have a problem with personnel, have a problem with pre-game and game-time recognition by their coach. why would you feed the ball for 70 mins to cuellar against rampone and estelle, when it's obvious she can't beat those women 1v1, and she is limited, if she has to play the ball in front of them. he switches to a possession game in the 70th min against wny and took over the game too late. then, he goes direct again for 60 mins or so against rampone. i don't know how cuellar fits in their possession game, but they are not going to break one for an 1:0 lead against wny or sb while those two are standing up. throw the direct game out the window against those two squads at the starting whistle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the power like a-rod comes from below the hips like a short compact RB in football where as you get power from wambach and tancredi up top like a LB/TE. they (a-rod and henderson) are the same build at optimal playing weight. maybe the guys like melissa skinny or something.

[​IMG]

cute girl thin but no way she isn't getting the same leg drive from her new physique. a-rod comes back 20 lbs lighter after her baby and watch her game go out the window too.

in every sport, you hear athletes and coaches talk about optimal playing weights and how players perform

her name came up with the NT, because she was more of a direct forward at ND. a-rod cant finish at the NT level but she' still more a direct forward than a possession forward. my guess that is one reason under pia henderson's name came up over press, who isn't direct. pia loves white girls who play direct ball, must be in heaven with schelin in sweden :ROFLMAO: . henderson went skinny and fell of the map

10. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    They have so much midfield talent, maybe FCKC should be like the Spain Men's National Team, and just go with no forwards...

11. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Yup I would like that, then they wouldn't use the route 1 attack all the time.

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The need to play more like Canada does. They use Filigno the same way KC uses Cuellar, but if the bomb isnt there, they go to plan B. Filigno stretches the field for Tancredi, Sinclair, Schmidt and Mathison. KC doesnt have to go long to Cuellar every time she makes a run with the people they have stacked behind her.

13. MizzouMan22

MizzouMan22 Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Your aware FCKC out shot and out played SBFC for the whole game WHILE being down a player. Even the other coach Jim Gabarra (sp?) said so in his post game comments.

14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I saw this in equalizersoccer.com:

http://equalizersoccer.com/2013/05/29/pro-says-penalty-call-in-seattle-was-wrong/

The Professional Referee Organization (PRO) has determined the Portland Thorns should not have been awarded a penalty kick that led to the only goal in last Saturday’s 1-0 win over the Seattle Reign. The PRO released a statement Wednesday that reads:
    After a pass is made from Christine Sinclair to Allie Long, referee Margaret Domka witnessed Seattle Reign defender Kristen Meier hold Allie Long inside the penalty area to prevent her from gaining possession of the ball, and called a penalty kick. The available video evidence does not show this hold to have significantly impacted Long’s ability to play the ball prior to being cleared by the Seattle defense, and play should have been allowed to continue.”
    Watch the play in question here just after the 1:52:10 mark:

15. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Did pro say anything about the handling inthe 66th?

16. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

You can't make a call you don't see. Oh, or just make the call because Sinclair is screaming. If that's the case, then give Japan its' two penalty kicks in the Olympics. She made a call she should haven't. Portland has 4 phantom pts on the road now, should only have 15 pts in the standings.

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    They r in the mail. Some times u just have bad luck. Can I have the five shots that hit the post in the first 60 minutes of the WWC final? That was bad luck too. It's part of the game. I always say the US totally outplayed Japan and lost in WWC and Japan totally outplay US in Olympics and lost. Go figure.

18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

The logic isn't there. Apparently she saw a foul but it wasn't foul-y enough. That sounds like in the opinion of the referee territory. She clearly demonstrated her opinion and pro acknowledges she didn't make it up.

But they aren't supposed to comment on three officials missing a call every other person in the stadium saw?

The only thing that disturbed me about this is two of those officials, Domka and Perez, Are FIFA referees.They are both on the FIFA short list to referee the WWC in Canada next year.

I guess we can console ourselves that they can't do any USA matches, but if Domka misses a hand ball in the box involving a team Canada is playing IN Canada, we are going to have a really interesting cup. Likewise if she does a Pederson.

Are these really the best officials we have? I swear I haven't seen this lunacy with grade seven referees in college matches.

19. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Another "asterisk" next to another Thorns result.
    I keep waiting for Portland to earn their victories.
    They have the best firepower, but something is just not there yet (other than good fortune).

20. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    I'm actually surprised the KC midfield hasn't scored more goals. They are using Cuellar as their goto girl to score and I think that is a big mistake. KC is one of the lower scoring teams in the league. A team can keep Cuellar bottled up, so basically its KC trying to win 1-0 games and that isn't going to provide enough firepower down the stretch. Because well Skyblue who does score way more goals also have one of the best defenses in the league as well. Skyblue's goal total at least is spread to different players. Though 5 of those come from Schmidt.

KC's midfield is a dynamic playmaking midfield. They can easily create scoring chances when they are inside the 18 yard box. They need to use that, but they rarely ever do. Its really surprising. One really has to question the coach for KC if he really is the right coach for this team.

21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ive actually been disappointed with Mewis. She has really good pace but u never see her running at people. Ive seen her take a few good shots but mostly from distance. Id really like to see her attack the back line more and try an effect their shape.

22. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC's a solid team doing a lot of things right. I wouldn't come anywhere near a panic button if I were them. Of course there's plenty of room to improve but again the one thing they don't have is the proven firepower at this level (and that includes Cheney when it comes to actually scoring goals).

Keep in mind the opposition, too, when comparing goals- for . KC has played two games against the bottom 3 teams, which have leaked by far the most goals. Boston and Sky Blue, I think, have played four matches against the bottom three and Portland has played six.

23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My question for the Chicago/Portland game in Portland this Saturday is, with all the National Team stars gone, how good will the attendance be for that game?
    Will Portland get over 10,000? This may be a better gauge of Portland's support for their team.

We know they have over 7,000 season ticket holders. But will the fans come out on a Saturday afternoon with no Morgan and no Sinclair?

I will be there and I'm hoping there will be a great crowd.

24. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland's record is flattering to them because of their schedule. All six wins have come against the bottom 3 teams in the league, and even in those wins they honestly have not looked like the runaway winners many of us were expecting them to be before the season began. I want to see how they fare against Boston and WNY, but that won't happen until July.

25. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

One of the reasons those teams are at the bottom of the league is their losses to Portland, no?