Week 7 Pre/In/Post (7/2-4)

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Jun 30, 2021.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    About time to open this thread, yes? Interesting that we have Friday games this week.

7/2
    NJY vs KC, 7PM (P+)
    DC vs CHI, 7:30PM (Twitch)
    HOU vs RGN, 8:30PM (P+)
    7/3
    LOU vs POR, 7:30PM (P+)
    7/4
    ORL vs NC, 6PM (P+)

Biggest match of the week is almost certainly 1v2 on Independence Day. HOU v RGN and LOU v POR also have some interesting playoff implications if we're trying to talk playoffs this early (about 1/3 through the season).

I do quite like how the table looks at the moment because they're basically no separation among the top 5 teams. Yes, there's a 4pts spread of 1st to 5th, but when you factor in games in hand, the PPG among the top 5 are all nearly identical. Assuming those PPGs stay roughly constant for the rest of the season, that would also result in just a 4pt spread between 1st (ORL and NC, 45pts) and 5th (DC and POR, 41pts). That's why I think HOU v RGN is so interesting - it could be an early indication of who makes that 6th and final playoff spot. LOU v POR could also bring more chaos into the calculation with a LOU victory.

59Amerinorsk, Klingo3034 and West Ender repped this.
  2. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I would say
    NYJ
    DC
    Houston and Reign is tough to choose with players gone and international players still trying to gel. I pick Reign.
    Tough one with Portland losing some of their players. Guess Louisville.
    I say NCC, tough to choose as well.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  3. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    NYJ
    CRS
    HOU-RGN - tie
    POR
    ORL-NC - tie

4. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    What happened to Gotham and Kansas game? Delayed or something because it’s not showing score or time results.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah they and the HOU-RGN game had long weather delays.

Stings that DC lost 0-1 on an own goal. Table Chaos can be cruel! Could've also been 0-2 but for a questionable no-goal call, but I wouldn't be relaxing if I were a Chicago fan right now.

Home teams are in the lead now in both HOU-RGN and NJY-KC, so no Chaos the yet

6. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Need goal line tech or even some camera at the line. But from my perspective, it didn't look like the ball was wholly across the line.

7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moultrie made her debut in the Louisville game:

I like this comment from Parsons after the game:

Klingo3034 and blissett repped this.
  8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, I guess this is an answer to everyone who had said and written that changing age limit was useless because Moultrie would have never played anyway. Apparently, the Thorns were full in, they were ready to sign her and they were ready to play her.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Okay, generally good reading from EQZ as always, with a look at the first third of the season so far:
    https://equalizersoccer.com/2021/07...one-right-wrong-during-first-stretch-of-2021/

Some interesting points made:
    --Gotham's top performers were both 2017 Breakers draft picks
    --Spirit won't challenge for the Shield but are strong contenders for the Championship, as they look like a team that will improve over the season and peak with a strong attack at the right time.
    --EQZ ppl seem to still have faith in Chicago, by granting a mulligan on game 1 and focusing on the positives in the wins over the Courage and Spirit
    --Take away the games against the Thorns and Courage, and Racing are 3W-1D-0L, which hints at maybe a top 4 finish?

10. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    It’s chaos! Chaos in the table! When you point that out Racing not doing a bad job against other teams besides Portland and NCC but that means they are not up there.