PBP: Week 6 P/I/P Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BlueCrimson, May 13, 2014.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ref did nothing...didnt even speak to her. If Washington or the league office requests it the disciplinary committee can review it.

2. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it looks to me as if Wambach is bringing her elbow back in afterward. Plus Huster is no diver. If she goes down, it's for a reason - and even so she normally pops right back up again. (We have a drinking game in the pressbox for whenever Huster is fouled in the box, and there's no call.)

Question that ball girl in the background! She saw the whole thing!

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Hustler did it all wrong.

Start screaming at Abby... Call her out as a cheap shot artist.

Team mates start a shoving match. Get both players ejected.

At least take methods acting courses.

4. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Not gonna happen as it appears Parsons won't be pursuing it. I'm inclined to agree with him.

It was a cheap shot by Wambach but again, I did not notice any dangerous elbows or punches to the face. Quite frankly, I have seen players do more serious shoving during a corner than what ever happened here.

In the current internet age, I feel like everything gets blown out of proportion. Also, I'm shocked that the gif of a Houston forward kicking Angerer in the face didn't get more play than this. Probably because there is not a witch-hunt out there for non USWNT players by journalists who scrutinize everything the NT players do.

BlueCrimson and CoachJon repped this.
  5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The difference here is it wasnt in the heat of battle.

Are u talking about Ohai? The ball came a little lose and Ohai poked at it. There r two differences with that play. First Ohai was carded. Second the first thing u saw after the final whistle was Ohai going to Angerer and apologizing.

South American repped this.
  6. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Which is what I said. This was a frustrated player taking a cheap shot. I'm almost certain that if the ref had saw it she should and would have been carded.

However, I don't think this warrant the amount of play I have seen it given in the blogosphere. Interestingly, I have yet to see any GIFs circulating about some of the league leaders in fouls and cards, who all happens not to be NT players.

Journalists have started this narrative that referees afford special treatment to NT players. However, these same journalists feed into this problem themselves by covering NT players differently than they do others.

7. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I wouldn't really call it a kick to the face.
    [​IMG]
    I think the Wambach/Huster thing was more intentional/physical than that. I think Angerer just over-reacted a little, cause of the previous incidents with Masar.

[​IMG]

8. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Again, no disputing any of this. Quite frankly if the ref had given Wambach a card, I wouldn't have disagree with it.
    Maybe I watch too much sports to be phased by any of this. I don't see this as anything more than like in basketball players pushing each other on the side line when the ref is not looking. Is it intentional, yes. However, from the clip I saw, it was more of a push/shove in the body than any elbow or punches flying.
    Also, I may follow too many "journalist" covering the sport who I think at this point have too much of an agenda than actually just reporting.

JuniorCoach and holden repped this.
  9. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    POTW? My vote goes to McLeod.

10. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I would think Jodi Taylor is a shoo in. Why start recognizing defenders and GK now?

I feel like a GK will most likely have to score a goal to win POTW

kernel_thai repped this.
  11. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keepers have won POTW before. LeBlanc won a couple times last year, and Cameron won POTM last year as well as POTW. I think Rampone also got the nod one week. While it's rare for defensive players to win, it has happened.

You're probably right that it'll be Taylor, though. A dominating performance by a forward or a midfielder usually trumps all.

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ur exactly right...if the ref had done her job none of this discussion would be happening. Wambach's smirk would have turned into the bemused grin and she would have spread her hands wide and said "u've got to be kidding" because despite a very long career she has never committed a foul. Instead, the ref missed it and the apparatus for that is a review. As Washington doesnt seem interested in that nothing will happen.

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Sarcasm noted.

14. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Different league, but ...
    Taylor Twellman hit the gk in the face 4 weeks in a row, and all 4 of them won PotW :D
    "I could be king for only 1 week, I can be kingmaker forever"

BlueCrimson and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  15. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone who is able to start a new thread for this week's matches? For some reason, I can't.

16. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure thing.