Week 25 Attendance

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by FlashMan, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami
    I've been rather off this season since I went on a long vacation abroad with my family and returned.

Can anyone explain how 30k plus showed up in KC last weekend so see a team that has not won a game since July and then was absolutely disgraced by Landon and Co. If it was some kind of marketing pitch it worked out pretty good in getting people in the stands... however the overall result surely made the marketing effort rather counterproductive.

Still how the hell did they manage to get that 30k in the stands???

2. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As you guessed, it was a marketing pitch of the "Buy a 6 pack of Pepsi and get a free general admission ticket" variety.

For loads of discussion on KC's "Break the Record" night, check out the thread:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69401

3. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    No. There is a bit of bad blood between USSF and the various MLS front offices over how the WWC has been handled. The USSF handled EVERYTHING for the WWC and didn't farm much out, except stadium operations, to the clubs. The USSF kept control of all the marketing, which has led to dissapointing attendences for everything except possibly Columbus and the final in LA.

In any event, there never would have been doubleheaders. FIFA wanted the WWC to be a stand-alone event.

Sachin