PBP: Week 22 Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BlueCrimson, Sep 30, 2017.

1. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've already had one game this week, with North Carolina putting on a show in a 4-0 win over Houston.

2. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eeep. Dalton just hand-delivered that goal to Raso.

3. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final regular-season week-end!
    [​IMG]

4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [POR-CHI]
    02' 1-0 Horan(?) hoofs long from own 30m wide right past circle top box right. S.Johnson has a 3m lead over Raso, tracks back to own arc top box right, backpass to Dalton. Dalton tries a one-touch return pass to S.Johnson -- but directly into Raso's right foot at box top mid-right. Raso pounces on the bounce, one-touch left foot curls past Dalton into center back low. Wow, like Bouhaddi to Lloyd :coffee:

13' 2-0 Raso chips down wide right for Sinclair spinning past DiBernardo(?), to 12m box left. They face off, Sinclair eventually stutter-drives down to 2m box right, lifts a cross to 10m 1/4 left. Gorden heads ball down to 14m center -- but directly into Sykes's legs. Ball pops ups, Sykes steps back and faces up, flicks right foottop off the drop, just inside right post to back right low.

5. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    71' 2-1 DiBernardo runs onto a ball at 18m mid-right, shoots one-touch right foot across mouth, over Franch's dive, off crossbar 1/4 left, bounces down hard and up. Reynolds swings right roundhouse to clear, gets partial power, out to 22m box left. Huerta boxes out Horan, dribbles centerward to 22m arc left, head down right foot crossbody pull on the run, soars over Franch's dive into left 90 :notworthy:

6. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    82' 2-1 Heath left ck, to 8m right post, Mautz(?) heads it away to 25m box right. Sykes dribbles past Gilliland to box top wide right, fast cross to 4m center is just past Long jumping with Huerta. Foul on Huerta, for obstruction/holding.

83' 3-1 Nadim pk, right instep into back left edge 2/5 high (Franch dove wrong).

FT 3-1.

blissett repped this.
  7. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1.North Carolina - Orlando.4 is actually a big deal (to them).
    Orlando (37 pts) trails 3.Chicago (39 pts).

If Orlando wins at North Carolina, then they sneak into 3rd and play at Portland in the semis (and Chicago plays at North Carolina).

If Orlando draws or loses, then the semifinals are the same as today: 1.NC-ORL.4 and 2.POR-CHI.

8. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alex Morgan said, following last week's Orlando-Portland tie, that she wanted Orlando to play Portland again -- in Orlando, she said. So they apparently don't want to play Portland in Portland next week. And Chicago -- shame on them, their management, not their players -- apparently want to come in fourth so they don't have to play Portland in Portland (again) next week and instead can play North Carolina in North Carolina. I was very disappointed with what Chicago did. They should get in trouble with the league, especially considering this was the Lifetime game of the week. I really like their players and, until now have liked their management, but they made a very poor decision about today's game.

And oh, yeah, I know Chicago beat North Carolina three times this year, so naturally would like to play them in the semi-finals. But you just don't give away games, not in a league that's still somewhat fragile. It cheats the fans and diminishes the league.

9. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boston and Washington battling for Sullivan, and both are up 2-0 in the first half. Because soccer.

10. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The record is broken! Sam Kerr gets her 17th!

MiLLeNNiuM, blissett and lil_one repped this.
  11. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's always those moments of lapsed concentration that end up costing NC.

12. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #12 Gilmoy, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    [WAS-SEA]
    Looks like a young(er) line-up for Seattle tonight. Reed gets a swan song start, and some others are maybe playing to ... inform Harvey's offseason trading decisions :alien:

Pugh, Farquharson, Solaun
    Huster, Dougherty Howard, Proffitt
    Kallman, Zadorsky, Church, Dydasco
    Haracic

Yanez, K.Johnson, Kawasumi
    Utsugi, Nairn, Fishlock
    Pickett, Barnes, 26 Maddie Bauer, Reed
    24 Madalyn Schiffel

13. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    27' 1-0 Bauer (stacked way to the left, with Pickett apparently upfield) passes to Fishlock facing away at circle half-front left, Proffitt digs ball away with a spin-cw, flicks to Dougherty Howard up circle right to (their) half-front. Pugh begins her inside post route past Reed from circle half-front left, diagonal pass to 35m arc left, Pugh blows past Reed through arc top, with Bauer as LCB and nobody in the RCB slot. Schiffel comes out to 16m, Pugh cuts right around Schiffel diving horizontal, chases to 8m 7-right, bounces a shot just inside right post low. Reed took a more direct line to right post, and still couldn't slide for a clearance try.

32' 2-0 Haracic restart sails to Seattle's back line up at 30m. Barnes spins away from Farquharson, dribbles up box left to circle halfback -- Utsugi promptly slides back into Barnes' hole. Barnes tries a spin-and-drag, Farquharson reads it and slide-pokes ball away. Solaun runs on and dribbles past Barnes to 35m box right, lures Utsugi into stepping up, square pass left to Dougherty Howard -- and continues her own run. Bauer steps up and stretches poorly, Dougherty Howard one-touch diagonal tap springs Solaun 1-v-0 through 24m box right -- meanwhile Pugh begins her own lurking run up centerline at 25m, behind Reed's back. Solaun dribbles from arc top mid-right to 9m 6-right, Pugh beats Reed to 10m left post, diagonal pass to 3m left post bisects Schiffel on knees and Reed, Pugh taps into 1/3 right back low. Wow, when Barnes goes walkabout, this backline is ... very, very young at heart.

14. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [BOS-NJ]
    25' 1-0 Oyster passes to Purce at box top right touch. Purce launches a fast cross to 5m 1/3 left, Leon jumps at 1/4 right but it's over her head. Casey comes out to centerline, punch misses, ball continues past her to Dowie already airborne, who glance-heads down-and-up into 1/3 left back 1/2 high.

28' 2-0 Elby dribbles past Stanton to arc top left touch. Weimer kicks ball off Elby's legs, taps it again to arc top wide left -- Dowie raises arm and front-cuts Freeman from 15m center. Weimer bends an early cross to 6m 3-left, Dowie jumps center-to-left, flick-heads across mouth. Casey dives and misses, ball curls and bounces into back right low. That cross might be on-frame already, and any redirection gives the GK a nasty interception problem to solve.

15. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #15 Gilmoy, Sep 30, 2017
    34' 2-1 Hayes chips a cross from box top wide left to 6m 1/4 left, Kerr sticks right foot out waist-high and flicks it past Chapman, across A.Smith, into 1/4 right back low. Her 17th sets the NWSL record -- and it had to be something even crazier than a bicycle :mad:

76' 2-2 O'Hara crosses from 24m wide right to spot, Kerr faces away and is bumped off ball by Oyster. Ball continues to Tiernan unmarked at 7m 8-left, clangs centerward to 8m 6-left. Tiernan hook-cuts endline past Purce, to 6-top left, shoots left instep between A.Smith's legs, into center back low.

Oh hey, look, it's Sky Blue coming back from behind :coffee:

16. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [NC-ORL]
    22' 0-1 Morgan advances to 27m wide left, pulls T.Smith up to her, pokes leftward into Ubogagu's stride overlapping up left touch. Ubogagu chases to 9m wide left, one-touch left instep cross to 11m 1/3 left. Edmonds comes to ball, left instep step-block low across mouth, past Rowland's dive into right bottom pipe. Wow, Ubogagu supplied the power and Edmonds just had to reflect it.

51' 0-2 Ubogagu passes from own box top to Hill at circle back left, ball poked by T.Smith (who's that far upfield). Hill spins and chases to circle tangent back left, taps square right to Marta, continues her own run up arc left lane. Marta slows up to 35m arc right, has 3-v-5, passes ahead to Morgan at 25m mid-right -- and starts her own vertical sprint past Zerboni momentarily lulled. Morgan standing-putts a diagonal pass down to 8m 7-right, Marta outruns Holstad Berge and arrives first, one-touch right instep shot deflects off Rowland's right wrist and knee, into center back low.

17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I kinda want least one playoff match to be the 2011 WNY champions (Marta/Morgan/Harris/Edmonds) versus the 2016 WNY champions (now NC Courage) but if this match can be remembered as such, thus setting up for the shield winners to exit in the SFs by facing a team they've lost to multiple times this season already, I guess I'm okay with it. Either way, would love to ORL actually make it to the final. Would be great attendance.

18. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You get a comeback, you get a comeback, you get a comeback! :eek:
    [WAS-SEA]
    71' 2-1 Dallstream receives at midfield box right, chips a fast longball that bounces past Church at 25m arc right. Fishlock overtakes her on the inside, brave jump-touch out-heights Church's flick try. (Replay shows that the ball actually hits Fishlock's right forearm :p no call) Ball bounces to 12m 6-right, Haracic comes out to 10m and jumps to block, Fishlock hop-volleys waist-high over Haracic -- perfectly measured arc, soft bounce into center back 3/4 high.

83' 2-2 Seattle chip from the back to circle center, Fishlock stoop-heads facing away. K.Johnson one-touch backpass from circle top left back to Fishlock -- but her curl distracts Dydasco for just an instant. Crummer back-cuts Dydasco on the outside, Fishlock chips one-touch past Crummer's shoulders to arc top mid-left. Haracic comes out to 12m 3-left, Crummer one-touch left instep mini-lob over her, bounces at 0.5m center and bends into 1/5 right back 1/2 high.

90' 2-3 Nairn kicks a pass up left touch from circle top, Crummer chases alone past box top -- somehow Dydasco got caught 10m further upfield. Ball sidespins to 8m wide left, Crummer one-touch cross to 6-top 4-left, K.Johnson (tightly marked by Zadorsky) opens hips to face away and micro-flicks ball to 8m 1/3 left. Dallstream (tightly marked by Kallman) scuffs ball toward spot, everybody overruns it -- except Fishlock, who anticipates the touch and takes the direct route. Fishlock stretch-hooks one-touch right instep from 11m 2/5 right, rising off Haracic's right hand, up into 1/3 left back 2/3 high.

FT 2-3. This edit box takes emoji codes, but strips them out from the final post :mad::cry:

19. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [BOS-NJ]
    79' 2-3 Sky Blue left ck (not shown), to 6-top center, Meehan aggressively lunges past Chapman for a header try -- misses? Ball continues down to 4m 1/5 right, Skroski bull-pushes Frisbie backward from 6m to 4m, stretches right foot behind Frisbie's calves, perfectly half-volley dinks past A.Smith's dive, into back right low.

85' 3-3 Dowie spins cw at 24m arc left, plays left to Onumonu down box left to 8m just inside box left. Onumonu lifts a cross to left 90, Casey jumps and palms ball goalward behind her -- falls backward into goal, scoops ball out but off left post, it bounces in behind her. Oh no. Credited as an own goal to Casey, but if Onumonu's cross was going in regardless, it should just be a goal for her.

87' 3-4 Skroski passes to Galton at 14m wide left, Galton races Purce to 0.5m mid-left. Hard cross misses everybody, bounces at 6m 6-right. O'Hara runs on at 6m 8-right, one-touch hop right instep volley skips off 6-top right, into center back low.

FT 3-4. Can the home team hold a lead or a draw??

lil_one repped this.
  20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #20 MRAD12, Sep 30, 2017
    First of all, I want to say I was disappointed at the lineup myself. If he wanted to rest players, that's OK, rest a couple like Ertz and Press maybe but not pretty much the whole team. Dames started pretty much the whole bench and benched the starters. Michelle Dalton shouldn't be playing in a women's pickup game in Chicago much less on a pro team. Sorry to say that but that's how I feel

Second CP, don't confuse the Head Coach with "Red Stars Management". Rory is the Head Coach and he makes field decisions. Arnim is the owner and is in it for all the right reasons.

And third CP, I'm questioning your motives for your tirade.
    Are you actually mad that the Red Stars didn't play their starters or are you mad that Portland now has to face Morgan, Marta and Orlando in the semis??? And in your opinion now has a less of a chance to win and move to the Championship game? Hmmm? Is that what you're really mad about?

And fourth, how would you punish Chicago? How would you justify this? They played players on their legally registered roster. Take away their team? OK, I get my deposit for next season's tickets and those who do can get the satisfaction of a team that's been around now since 2009 taken away from a major city and now you've weakened the league even more.

Having said all this, I am not happy with what Rory did tonight. He could have started the starters and slowly subbed them out if he wanted. But Rory, please, NO MORE DALTON!

blissett repped this.
  21. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [NC-ORL]
    62' 1-2 Hamilton switches right to T.Smith way up at arc top wide right, 1-v-1 on Ubogagu. Smith dribbles centerward through 14m box right to box top arc right, taps a delicate vertical pass between Ubogagu and Catley, to L.Williams facing away vs. Krieger at 12m right post. L.Williams takes one touch to 12m 6-right, snipes right instep rising over Harris's dive, into right 90.

67' 2-2 L.Williams pk, right instep bounces under Harris's left hand, into 1/4 right back low.

90+1' (of +5') 2-3 Orlando fk at arc tangent left, Morgan and Marta stand behind it, Kennedy to the left. Morgan starts her fake-run behind Kennedy down 6-left lane -- Kennedy pulls right instep over the wall, perfectly into left 90. Carpe diem, seize the 3-seed!

FT 2-3. Tough day for all 3 home teams :coffee:

22. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with your distinction between ownership and the coach. I'm actually not against any of them, as Rory obviously has been a good coach, but I think he made a very poor decision for the league and professional women's soccer -- and for the fans at Providence Park and on LIfetime, including me. I also agree with you that if he had rested one or two starters, no complaint, but it sure looked like he threw the game. I can understand why he might do that (I, like you, am not sure that was his intention), but I think it's bad for women's soccer, for fans, and appeared to be poor sportsmanship whatever his actual reasoning was. (I think the Lifetime broadcast crew gave him a big "pass," so shame on them too.)

In some respects, I'd rather play Chicago here, but in others I'd rather play Orlando. I think Portland and Orlando are the two best teams, so we get to go to Providence Park and see them play here in Portland. And, from a pragmatic perspective, wanting Portland to win, it's probably better to play them here than in Orlando.

blissett repped this.
  23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Awwww poor BOS.... I really thought they could close out the season well, that was a winnable match. Would have been nice to have more wins than in 2015.

24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thanks, guys, for disagreeing but keeping it very civil. Not that this place uses to get flames or too much heated discussions, but it's good to see people express themselves through respect. Reps for both. :thumbsup:

I was just going to ask... o_O So I am not the only one to think that this Dalton GK was basically unpresentable. :x3:

Talking about Red Stars' line-up: Yuki Nagasato was obvioulsy serving the suspension for last week's (questionable :devilish:) Red Card. I hope she was suspended just for this game and she will be back for the play-off matches, won't she? :cautious:

MRAD12 repped this.
  25. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Michelle Dalton is a very nice person, does a lot for the Club outside of the field, etc. But IMO, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way, not up to par of what a pro goalkeeper should be. She has been given several chances over the last few years to prove herself and failed every time giving up silly goals. There are plenty of goalkeepers to chose from that have been good in college, no need to keep a goalkeeper anymore that cannot prove herself in the pro ranks and gives up silly goals it seems every game.

blissett repped this.