Week 19: WSH and BOS

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Independence' started by Blaze20, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
  2. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'Nuff said? ;-)

3. MAR2010

MAR2010 Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, I'll get started.

Both the Freedom and Breakers will be desperate for 3 pts. Do they throw everything but the kitchen sink at the Independence, and if so will (a) Philly's defense hold up and (b) will it create openings/opportunities for counterattack by the Independence?

4. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    Well, they won't have Frida for Wed, after the red card against Chicago. So unless Larsson and Mitts are healthy again, they will only have one regular defensive starter on the field. I'll give them credit, though, they've done well with regular changes to their back line. Washington doesn't have a real speed-burner up top since De Vanna got hurt, so that helps. They have the big kids in Abby and Marshall, but we seem to match up pretty well with size. It certainly helps when you're on the goal-scoring tear like Philly's been on lately, and Washington's defense is in disarray. Plus Washington's starting a rookie keeper who's talented, but hasn't had much chance to work with her defenders, who seem to change every game.

Washington is desperate, and they haven't found many answers in the last few weeks, so I think the cheesesteaks will prevail by at least one goal, probably two.

5. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Anyone making the drive to WSH tomorrow?

6. PhillyIndependence

PhillyIndependence New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    The bus leaves today at 2:30PM with the team and coaches...:)

7. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Is there a supporters bus that leaves with the team or are you part of the staff?

Anyway, if I was to make the drive there it would be tomorrow.

Well good luck to the team and anyone attending.:)

8. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    According to the FB page, there will be a stream for this match courtesy of CSNWashington

9. MAR2010

MAR2010 Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool. I was bummed that TCN wasn't carrying this.

10. Hoover

Hoover New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Glad to hear there will be video stream of game, can't wait for it as should be good game with lots at stake for both team. Playoff pressure in effect.

Agree with Moog analysis, tricky part for Philly will be back line area and all the missing players. The good news is that the height and strength of Falk tends to offset Wambaugh's main weapon which is scoring on headers and on strength plays. What do you think - Val or Karina tonight??

Philly needs to continue to excel at MF area and make good passes to fast forwards who need to finish like they have past two games.

For Washington their key is the play of Bomposter (if she has really good game watch out) and also Marshall up top who is coming on strong.

Let's go PHILLY. This is a big time game.

11. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will that work for people outside the Comcast DC viewing area?

12. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, it should be.... Val will most likely be in goal, she has had 2 really good outings

13. Hoover

Hoover New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Yes, if you go to WPS main webpage it now shows a webcast for this game...so just click on that link (great news and simple to access) or click on link below to access game at 7:30 ET.

http://www.csnwashington.com/pages/live_stream

14. Del Piero 10

Del Piero 10 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Watched the game on Washington's webcast. Absolutely dreadful performance by the Independence. If they play like that on Sunday, they'll find themselves looking up at both Gold Pride and Boston in the standings.

15. MAR2010

MAR2010 Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Knew it wasn't Philly's night when A-Rod was alone in front of the Washington keeper and launched it over the crossbar. Camera caught Riley looking very frustrated on the sideline in the last 20 minutes of the match.

16. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, the same team (except the winner of the halucinatory redcard) got outplayed by Abby's head

I like Sanderson, but her play has not been up to it the last 2 games... They forwards doid not get great service and were not going back to win balls either.... cmon, Cat is the slowest player on the pitch, I as a 40 year old fat guy can out run her.

17. MAR2010

MAR2010 Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couple of observations:

Thought that Philly had a spark after Val's stop on the PK. But Washington was able to get off to a second bright start after the rain delay.

Surprised that the Independence big advantage in team speed didn't help.

18. Hoover

Hoover New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Ouch, a very tough game to watch last night as Philly was completely outplayed by Washington. They just did not seem in the game and could get nothing going all night. What happened??

Philly was on a roll from the past couple of games and Washington was in disarray, so hard to forsee this outcome. But hats off to Washington who played very well and were in control.

Perhaps it shows how even and competitive this league really is (with exception of Pride). That every team is in every game and that playoff race will be exciting.

On to Sunday with another big game coming up against the surging Boston.

19. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to Gear up for the Boston game, need the three points to stay 5 ahead of the pack. I think they need to solidfy the hold on second place and get the homefield advantage for the playoffs...

20. MAR2010

MAR2010 Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct this is a massive game, and the Independence could use a big home field advantage. Philly-Boston games have been intriguing as there is such a contrast of styles.

21. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Good to see every ones take on the game. I having some eye related issues so I couldn,t really watch the webcast. Come Sunday I would be cheering from home for the first time.

GO CHEESESTEAKS, we NEEED this win.

22. Hope Solo Fan Belgiu

Oct 2, 2007
    Go Philly Go take those Bostonians!

23. Crazy Old Lady

Crazy Old Lady New Member

May 22, 2003
    just outside Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lets go PHILLY. Take it to the Breakers.

24. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    So being stuck at a family event I was unabled to attend the game on sunday night but I was able to watch via FSC.

This is important because I was at a cook out and there were a lot of people there who watch mens soccer and when I was watching, a lot of them stop by to watch and had several comments.

- The most popular ofcourse was "are those women playing?" and "why are they playing on a football field?".

- There was also 2 guys who was wondering why they were playing in pink jersey and with a pink ball. His friend remarked that thats because they are women (nothing sexist just jokingly). Ofcourse his next comment was why then is the other team in blue. This whole time I did try to tell them that Philly usually play in gray but this was a special event for breast cancer. This may have fallen on deaf ears as they were pretty drunk.

- There was this one guy who was convince that in the U.S the women play better than the men because they pass better :) and was really impressed with Philly passing in the game and all the goals.

- There was also some one else who impressed me because he did know of the Independence but was also aware that they were in second place and was an expansion side.

- My other cousin of course being from New England began to route for the breakers even though she have never heard of them before.

All in all, I say it was a good experience. I tried my best to explain to those interested where the team paly and when and where they can watch the games on TV. Who knows, maybe the next time women soccer is on TV, some of these people might give it a shot and not change the channel.

25. Hoover

Hoover New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Excellent game, well played by both teams and entertaining for the TV audience. Each of those 4 goals was a bomb and well struck by the player involved.

Having said this, I would have liked to see Philly play a little more defensively coming out in the 2H and come out trying to protect a 1 goal lead instead of playing open, creative soccer. I.e. have the MF's play more conservatively by protecting the defensive end and clogging it up plus have the team play a more compact shape to make it harder to penetrate. Too many open field runs by Boston in 2H

Thought the 1H was great and that the Cheesesteaks were on fire with great midfield play and lots of penetration all over the field. Frida absolutely owned Alex Scott for the entire game.

Time to look forward to the next 2 matches in Chicago and home against Atlanta...the playoff race is on!