PBP: Week 16- Pre/In/Post-Game Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BlueCrimson, Jul 23, 2013.

1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the game, watching Chalupny on the sideline. As of the end of the game, she was there but could not put any weight on her foot let alone walk by herself to the locker room. Since it's not a broken something, I'm guessing it is a very badly sprained ankle. I'm a Portland fan, but acknowledge that Heath's foul was stupid -- although not that hard. Heath knew what she had done was not good and apologized to Chalupny a couple of times. (I don't know if this was on the broadcast.) On the other hand, Chicago's plan from the beginning obviously was to take Morgan down any time they could and they did it all day. And, Mautz's foul on Long was not unintentional -- the replay showed Mautz had no play on the ball and intentionally decked Long.

Chicago did show a lot of heart in coming back. The fact that the game was a tie, however, is 100% on Cindy Parlow's poor coaching. With the Thorns up by 2 goals at 2-0 and 3-1, she continued having them throw all their players forward, leaving the back line exposed. It was idiotic.

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    From where they were checking Chalupny it looked like a high ankle sprain. If that's the case it will take time to heal.

I believe that's three cards in four games for the normally laid back Heath.

3. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three games.

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    not a game wasted.

5. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Sinclair isn't the prettiest player to look at on the pitch, but she's the most flexible forward. She can play anywhere from the 50 - right in front of the guardian. They will die if she isn't scoring goals.

Also, SB is playing up to form. As I have said, those forwards (Devanna, Adams and Masar) aren't good enough to keep them at the top of the table. Outside of Marta and club A-Rod, 5'5" and under forwards have a hell of a time carrying teams.

6. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    The nice part for Fox Soccer is that they got two good games in a row. I figured this game would be a snooze fest with Portland dominating. Nope did not happen. Fox has to be pretty happy with the second week game now.

7. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Masar?

Healthy Aussies makes a big difference for SB.

8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Someone on Equalizer put forth an interesting notion that hadnt occurred to me at the time. Taking Morgan off with 15 minutes to go allowed Chicago to get their defenders forward into the attack during the comeback. It makes sense as Quon and Sitch were in on the two goals.