PBP: Week 15 P/I/P

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by mamalia, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90' 1-1 Erceg bumps Fishlock aloft, rotating her into a faceplant from jumping height. No call :p

2. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I'll take it. Chicago always give the Reign troubles so I'm glad we are done with the season series. Look forward to Portland next week.

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    So the Reign miss a chance to clinch a home playoff spot, (thank you CHI for slowing them down, even just a bit!!!), but WAS and CHI now can no longer pass them in the standings, leaving POR and KC as the only teams that can possibly win the Shield.

And, of course, NWSL will finally recognize that the Reign have clinched a playoff spot, even if we already determined that on Thursday.

4. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Went back to the Press goal, and it was hard to understand how she was so wide open for that pass. I think that could of been Winters who should of back marked Press but still a bad turn over by Barnes. Well there may be hope for some teams when the play offs arrive. Seattle haven't looked as sharp as I would of thought they should be.

5. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    It seems strange to harp on a team that rarely gives up more than one goal. But the Reign need to find a way to keep a clean sheet when needed.

6. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Should have had a 6 team play-off. The 1st and 2nd place teams get a bye in the first round. Also, the league would have been smart to have had the Championship game in Portland, even if Portland didn't make it in. As far as it being a home field advantage for Portland, I think it is a disadvantage. Other teams just get pumped up playing in front of such a large crowd.

7. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    I think they should have the championship in Portland every year. Simply put its the best football atmosphere for the NWSL and they should market it. Once teams figure out a way to bring a big investor in to help build some stadiums, things can change but right now I think Portland has to be the cornerstone of the league and the championship match should be hosted there every year.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ....you guys are disgusting me right now.
    Do you realize how much that would turn off fans from just about everywhere else in the country, where the support is actually needed?

steelers07 and lunatica repped this.
  9. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get disgusted so easily!

But, even as a Portlander, I agree it should not be in Portland as a pre-determined matter. It should be where the host team has earned it.

On the other hand, I think it's fair to say to other cities, "Come on, you need to do better and, in a good number of cases, a lot better."

10. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not see the previous SB game (the first she played in ), but we were very impressed with Nadim this evening, exceeded my modest expectations for her. I asked a SB official how did the team got her, and the answer was they just email her asking for her interest in playing here (I don't know if he was serious).

11. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    That'd be ridiculous. Why not just let all teams in the playoffs at that point...

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    And the reason it took so long for SkyBlue to get a scorer was they emailed players in alphabetical order ;)

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    They shouldnt have playoffs at all...just a winner for the season and a Coup de Gulati match at the end

jigsawill, lunatica and JanBalk repped this.
  14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Portland-Boston great match for tv...speed of play in the first half was amazing.

SkyBlue-Washington Great game for Nadeem & O'Hara. Washington totally different with Dunn and Matheson out there. Washington may look back on getting 1 point this week if they dont make it.

Seattle-Chicago Worried about Reign's inability to take a game by the throat. Once again moving Johnston into the midfield energized Chicago...take note Jill Ellis. Awful mistake by Barnes.

15. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the size of the league is very small. The small amount of teams almost make the whole season like the playoffs. I think for the playoffs they do, it's only like semi final stage and one championship game right?

16. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    When the league expands to 12+ teams, then yes the playoffs should be 6 teams.

#1 and #2 teams (from the table, or the two division winners if there are two divisions) = Bye in first round.
    #3 vs. #6 team in one wildcard playoff match
    #4 vs. #5 team in the other wildcard playoff match

Winner of the #4 vs. #5 match plays the #1 team in the Semifinal.
    Winner of the #3 vs. #6 match plays the #2 team in the Semifinal.

And so on.

17. CrankyDefender

Apr 24, 2014
    Wrong. No team lower than #4 earned the right to play for the championship.

18. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Ok since we are apparently misinterpreting the heck out of each other I'm going to not so gracefully bow out. I'm sure we will be picking this debate up again on the KC forum.

19. AlexJ17

AlexJ17 Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    It was so great to see Press score last night!

20. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's very funny reading this the next day.

21. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    POTW? I realize it's probably going to go to one of the Thorns, but my pick is O'Hara. She was involved in every one of SkyBlue's goals yesterday, scoring 2 and assisting on the other 2.

22. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I actually think it should be Nadim. She was most offensive player for SBFC in a while.

23. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    With only the third hat/trick in NWSL history I'm pretty sure Sinclair will win it.

24. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4th hat trick- Leroux, Reeves, and Lloyd each have one as well.

25. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    You do realize that 10 teams in MLS make the playoffs (which is about half of the entire teams).
    I don't think 6 out of 12 in NWSL is unrealistic. In fact, it should be preferred, to correlate with the ratio in MLS.