Wednesday's signings

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by RedandWhite, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. RedandWhite

RedandWhite Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Canada
    I hope the Leafs can sign someone.

3. Rdubb21

Rdubb21 New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Chicago
    The Laffs have over 22 million committed to less than 10 players. They will sign someone, you just wont like them.

4. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

I like the move for Straka. He plays a game that could flourish if the new NHL rules are enforced. On top of that, he seems to be a good character guy, and the Rangers will likely have plenty of rookies around. Plus, there has been some grumbling that Jagr wouldn't be coming back (he got a big offer from the team he played with during the lockout). Signing Straka may be an incentive for Jagr to come back.

Weekes was a guy they had to sign. Dunham sucked, and the Rangers had no legitimate starting goaltender. They have 4 of the best goalie prospects in the league, but none of them have shown the ability to be a starter yet. Weekes is there to groom Lunqvist, LaBarbara, Montoya and Blackburn (a guy whose story everyone should read about. Really gutsy for him to come back).

As for Malik, I confess to not knowing much about the guy, but 2.5 mil for 3 years seems a bit much. I know they would have had to pay twice that to get someone like Gonchar, but I think it would have been worth it. I still want to see Brian Leetch back in Ranger blue to finish out his career. There is no better defensive free agent left on the market that could be used to teach the Rangers crop of rookie d-men. I don't want those rookie defensemen learning the pro game from the likes of Tom Poti and Darius Kasparitus. Bring back #2.

5. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The Leafs will not be making any 'big-time' signings this year, unless you count eric Lindros and Jason Allison as 'big time' (they're reportedly close to signing both players to low end, incentive laden deals).

They seem to be taking a run at next year's free angent market, when they will only have Sundin, Kaberle and McCabe under contract and a whole lot of free cap space to utilize.

I'm not sure if I like the strategy, just from a purely sports-fan perspective (I always want my team to be competitive), but it appears to be a shrewd strategy.

6. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. RedandWhite

RedandWhite Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Canada
  8. Rdubb21

Rdubb21 New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Chicago
    Modano rejects Stars latest offer-headline on Dallasstars.com

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boston's making some nice moves so far. They could be a contender.

10. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

That hurts. Leetch was my very first sports hero. When I read that he turned down an offer from the Islanders, I had hoped he'd come back to the Rangers to finish his career. 17 years with one club putting on that much of a show, he deserved better than to be traded against his will and then sign with some other team to end his career. Appreciate him, Boston. He's a class act.

11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rangers signed Martin Rucinsky and re-signed Thomas Pock.

More and more I'm not impressed, I think we'll miss the playoffs yet again. Sigh. Ah well, at least I can watch the B-Sens in the playoffs, they have yet to miss it.

12. LittleMy

LittleMy Member

Jul 16, 2001
  13. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Peca to EDM for Mike York and a pick.

Mathieu Schneider stays in DET.

Berard to Columbus.

Satan signs with NYI.

14. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Under the radar earlier today--Skoula signs with DAL.

15. RedandWhite

RedandWhite Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Canada
  16. Regency

Regency Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Toronto
    Roenick apparently will traded to LA to make room for Forsberg.

17. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I was pumped about the Forsberg signing until I saw the JR rumor. I don't want to see JR leave...I'd rather have him than Forsberg to be honest. WTF are we a Western Conference team???

18. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Philly radio saying the JR deal is off. Gagne or Handzus might be traded instead. I like all 3 guys but of those I'd rather trade Handzus. Gagne I'd be pissed about but could live with. If we trade JR I will murder Clarke myself

19. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Primeau - Roenick - Knuble
    Gagne - Forsberg - Kapanen
    Sim - Sharp - Radivoijevic
    Brashear - Carter - Stevenson

20. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sharp and Carter are NHL ready? I skipped most NHL news over the last year but last time I thought I saw that they were still Phantom guys. Have they been bumped up? Maybe Sharp was a Flyer but I'm pretty sure Carter was a Phantom.

21. RedandWhite

RedandWhite Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Canada
    You can thrown Turgeon with Brisebois as well.