We want Octavio Zambrano back.

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Juan Luis Guerra, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    Well, it was proven that Mr. Winner cannot win in New York. It was easy for him to take over a team like the Chicago fire with great players on the field like Josh Wolff, Ante RAzov, Carlos Bacanegra, Zach Thorton, Cj Brown, Christ Armas, the current DC coach, and put make up a winning team. This is easy. But, went Bradley came to New York he proved to us that he can hardly coach a high school team. Bob was a total disaster this year. He never had a set team, and made a big mess in New York. I was shocked to see so much changes in the starting team. It looks like only 3 players were starters. Well, that is not good. I hope we get Octavio Zambrano back, at least he knows about soccer.

2. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    He didn't take over Chicago, he was their first coach. He built that team, and he built a winner. There is something about the Metrostars that brings out the mediocre in everyone associated with it.

I think it's hubris embedded in the name: Metrostars. When has this team ever been stellar?

Re-name it Metro FC for the 10th anniversary season. Let the team earn the stellar appellation, and let it go unsaid, but proven in every match.

Metro -- no hype or Hollywood required.

3. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC

No we don't.

OZ was the worst coach ever. Remember all the players he drafted? Oh yea I don't. Why? BEcause they all sucked. Remember the players we passed over in the draft with OZ as coach? Oh yea, Boca, Buddle, the list is endless.

If OZ was such a magician, who is such a soccer guy, why were we so useless in his final season? We didn't even make the freaking playoffs. Give me a break. That guy was a clown.

Plus the fact, that he was the agent of every player he signed, tells me that this guy was corrupt beyond belief.

4. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    "We": hilarious.

5. OriginalAEK

OriginalAEK New Member

May 6, 2003
    Syracuse, NY
    I guess the only way to compare the franchise is to the Mets. Just follow me on this. Everytime a very good player puts on the Mets jersey they turn to very average (Tony Clark, Roger Cedeno...etc.) But say they go to a different team. For Tony Clark, the Yankees....only helped them get to the playoffs and actually played very well. Roger Cedeno for the Cardinals, played well as well coming off the bench. It seems everytime the Metrostars get a decent player, they turn to rubbish. But they play somewhere else, they aren't so bad afterall.
    And for godsakes, lets not have Oz back.

6. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a minor point here - when Clark was put into a position for the Yanks where he HAD to play every day, he sucked. Hence Olerud. Hence whiffing on a 90 MPH fastball right down broadway in Game 6 cause he's too ********ing old.

and yes, I'm still bitter about it.

As far as OZ goes -

no.

The problem with replacing Bob, is - give me a better solution. And if you give me some foreign guy, you better make damned ********ing sure his #2 man is totally plugged into the US Soccer scene.

7. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Yeah, you can stick your "we" right up your LA Galaxy.

8. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Just a couple of months ago on another forum, you said he was hired as the team bus driver for the Galaxy:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113430

If you want to come to another teams forum, at least start a serious conversation. Also, this is the first time I've seen your username without a yellow card affixed to it.

9. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

OZ didn't suck. He was neck and neck with Bradley for most wins by an MLS coach most of his time here. People talk about the great collapse of 2002 like the previous 2 and 2/3 years weren't the best in Metro history. Remember worst to first and all that? Remember TWO bus road trips with a car and van caravan trailing behind?

But I don't want him back and he isn't coming back.

During the summer I was hanging out in my neighborhood park wearing my Metro jersey and a guy wearing Metro coaching gear approached me and introduced himself as OZ's cousin.

It was quite an interesting conversation about the OZ era here in Metroland.

10. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Octavio Zombrano was horrible. There is no way he could get a coaching job anywhere.

11. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get how the coaches are getting all the credit for drafting the players signing them. Isn't that the GM's job??? Especially Bradley in Chicago and Oz here.

If you look on the surface this argument has merit. The Metros had 2 very good seasons under Oz. Much better than either season under Bradley.

Is it any coincidence that both coaches have had problems during world cup qualifying?

Zambrano lost the team in his last year and that was a weakness, but don't discount what he did do here.

12. HotAssAlex

HotAssAlex New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Staten Island, NY
    I'd love to see Mo Johnston as head coach

13. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    I can't believe that a Galaxy fan is getting us to talk about OZ. Let it go. It's in the past. Don't let the schmuck get you thinking about this.

14. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw this thread title on the front page and was thinking, man the MetroStars must have the dumbest fans on earth, and then I saw who started the thread and it all clicks now.

Although, I am curious to know why Bradley hasn't got the results with you guys. I mean on paper your team looks pretty good and all.

15. Juan Luis Guerra

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
  16. Metrohooligan101

Metrohooligan101 New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Orlando Fl
    What about sigi schmid????

17. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Sigi would be a good idea, but I really don't think that a coaching change will really make a difference unless the players on the field change. They need a Dema type of player...in other words, a tough guy.

18. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, bradley had a healthy and full team all season long! Its not like we had our best players at WCQ, or had our forwards, mids and defenders out with injury... Fire Bob, bring back Oz and Faria!!!

19. HotAssAlex

HotAssAlex New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Staten Island, NY
    i'd tale Sigi and most of all I'd love to see A.Herzog in the middle with Guevara. That will be something!!! Sampson obviously dislikes Herzog since he keeps him deep on the bench

20. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sampson dislikes Herzog because the Austrian can tell he's a total idiot. Much like Harkes was kicked off the 98 world cup team for stating the same obvious facts.

21. HotAssAlex

HotAssAlex New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Staten Island, NY
    well especially if Guevara considering leaving us, i think that Herzog could be the best and most likely easily available replacement we could think of

22. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    The best and most likely easily available replacement for a beach soccer team, since Herzog has already decided to retire . . .

23. HotAssAlex

HotAssAlex New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Staten Island, NY
    but beach soccer is not where the "bucks" is.

24. Juan Luis Guerra

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    Out of Joke, Zambrano is a proven soccer guy. He would have done a better job than Bradley this year, especially in the playoff against DC. In addition, OZ is better than Bradley scouting young guys. Remember, that OZ even open the MetroStar's soccer academy. Bradley just did not do his job this season. Maybe he should consider taking a job in New England or be Arena's assistant.

25. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC

Scouting? Please, OZ was the worst drafting coaching in the history of the Metrostars. Steve Shak..........should remind you of that.

As for the playoffs, I never saw OZ win a MLS Cup.

And while Bradley didn't do as well as he would have liked, the team will be good next year, as we have a stable group of core guys to build upon.