We still need a CM addition, time is running out, who are the realistic last min opt?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Bounty Hunta, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Bounty Hunta

Bounty Hunta New Member

May 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Assuming that the possibillity of getting Hargreaves is over, should United stop their pursuit of another midfielder or should we wait untill January again to bring in someone. Yes we have made a fantastic start but if anything for me this is all the more a reason to bring in that one extra quality defensive or dynamic midfielder to bolster our midfield options.

We would really be a top outfit and I must say I would be confident of us being able to take home either the EPL or CL. However I don't think we can afford to wait untill January, already we have had either or both Scholes & Carrick missing and I think that going into away matches against teams like the top 4 even Borough, City etc we can still struggle with Fletcher and O'Shea deputising and it's matches like these that put us out of our stride in the league or. Yes and I know we were fantastic against Fulham which shows an improvement in the team all round but Fulham were terrible, my concern would have been if we came up against a team with a combative or strong midfield.

Obviously in CL matches when winning and keeping possession in the centre is paramount we may be may again struggle away without Carrick or Scholes. We need someone reliable who can come in which is why it was such a dissapointment we shot ourselves in the foot with losing out on Senna. I would first see if there is any possibility of getting Hargreaves in Jan if not I would come in for Senna again with a higher offer of 4.5mil or make a bid for Sulley Muntari at around 9mil immidiately, either way we wanted Carrick earlier in the season and were prepared to go over the odds. Now we are in a situation where I think that if we have another quality midfielder we can really take ourselves seriously for major honours I think that the only conclusion is that this extra midfielder is 'needed' so the club should definately be willing to pay over the odds to get someone in with little time for negotiation on our hands.

What do you guys think, can we afford to wait? or is this one extra addition in the centre of our midfield not a luxury but a requirement for any real success this season? If you would bring in that realistic option to reinforce our midfield dominance at the last minute who would it be and at what price would you be prepared to go to?

2. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. GrodZilla

GrodZilla Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Stockholm
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  4. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Re: We still need a CM addition, time is running out, who are the realistic last min

That kid is a WUM's wet dream.

5. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Re: We still need a CM addition, time is running out, who are the realistic last min

He's 22, 23 years old.

6. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

I thought he was a wide player.

Anyhow, some people would have you believe that we are fine the way we are (like they said last season) but its clear we still need another midfielder. Im very worried that Fergie will front and say his squad is fine the way it is.

7. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It would make more sense for Fergie to come out and say that he has major doubts about the strength of the squad.:rolleyes:

8. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

Does it matter now? Doesnt everyone know what we already need, and are apparently desperate for after bidding so muich for Hargreaves? Why put on a front now, its too late.

9. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good point. Its not like Fergie has a team that he has to manage or anything. He should be more sensitive to the fans's needs to keep it real and not "front".:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

I never said he should keep it real. Im not telling him how to do his job. He does have a team to manage, but what does this have to do with him trying to hide, the ever so obvious fact that Manchester United are depserate for a central midfield, from the world?

I never said he should be more sensative to the fans need either.

11. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

First of all, I never said that you said anything except front, which I quoted, demonstrating that I was acknowledging that you said it.

What would be the point in Fergie making a statement about midfield? What positive impact would it have? If there is a reason that I haven't thought of then I'm willing to consider it. Otherwise, your suggestions just seems like a really bad idea.

12. rossgreen

rossgreen Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Austin
    Appiah. But he couldn't play in the Champions League, so I don't know how realistic that is.

13. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

The point of Fergie making a statement about the midfield? He already has several times. Im not suggesting that he do make a statement, just saying if he does, thats probably what I would expect.

14. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am worried he actually thinks its ok. Not that he will say it is or not, but what he actually thinks.

15. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my opinion, and I could be incorrect, I believe that what Fergie says publicly and what Fergie thinks privately are often two different things. I believe that Fergie's agenda with his public comments is to gain some advantage for United. I believe that Fergie will refrain from making negative comments about the team, for example "we are very weak in midfield and will struggle all year against top teams", because he wants to keep everyone's confidence as high as possible. I believe Fergie cares about results.

16. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    He doesnt have to say that anyway. Everyone knows about our midfield situation.

Even in an interview, he has said that we need a CM, then turned around and said he is hapyp with the current team.

17. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what would you like him to say?

18. The Guv'nor

The Guv'nor Member

Mar 24, 2006

Apparently Haestad said he would crawl to Manchester and play for us for free:D

19. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I would like the next he say's to be...

We have completed negotiations with "club A" over the future of "player A" and he will join up with the team tomorrow.

20. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005

I see a very bright future for you as a negotiator.

21. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is your original statement to which I responded. Assuming that we don't sign anyone else, instead of Fergie saying that the squad is fine the way it is, what would you like him to say?

22. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or gadfly.

23. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005

Fergie: "Well, unfortunately we were unable to complete any signings to help out our central midfield situation. It really is a shame, because we are really crap in midfield. I mean, how am I supposed to win with a fat John O'Shea and an over-the-hill Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes. I want every club to know that Manchester United are in dire need of a CM, and we will pay anything to get one once the January transfer window opens up. That is all."

That is exactly what he should say. :rolleyes:

24. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

Nothing! I mean, its too late. Unless he's signing someone, there is nothing that he can say really to cover up anything.

25. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    The idea of panicking and purchasing someone for an over-inflated price is not something I agree with, at all. I'd rather go without than spend twice or thrice the value a player is worth.

The only players who are worthy of being overspent on are your A-class DM's and of those, only Mascherano is still available and we don't seem interested for whatever reason. It's offensive to pay stupid money for decent to just above average players and it would make us look like the biggest mugs in the market, again.

We hyave to break this trend of being taken to the cleaners for 90% of our purchases and even though we are in need of a DM, it would be a great message to send out that we would rather say ******** you and go with what we have, rather than bending to another club and their obscene demands. You have to put your foot down some time, and if we can't get the appropriate player(s) for the correct and just price, we should not buy anyone at all and give what we have their final shot at making it here or being sold on.

Gibson, Jones, Fletcher could well figure into Fergie's thinking and while that may underwhelm the fans, it could be a true coming of age for them all.

As I said a few months back, if we're not prepared to take the gambles on the Yaya's of the world, we should be going purely for a-class or top value for money. Some people who support United see us as 'the biggest club in the world' it's time we started acting like one and not being the bitch of any other club large or small when it comes to the crunch.