We Should Route for Mexico when not playing the US

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by drace768, Mar 31, 2005.

1. drace768

drace768 New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Like everyone else, I could not help but chuckle when I saw Panama had tied Mexico. But thinking about this further, I realized it is probably better for the US if Mexico is successful except when playing the USA.

My reasoning is: Mexico is the only top 10 team that we play consistently, and for the last 5+ years we have a good record against them. The higher Mexico is ranked the more it helps the US when we get a win or tie against them. This is reflected in both the FIFA world rankings and in World Cup seeding.

If not for Mexico the US would not be a top 10 team right now. The US will play the odd friendly against a top 10 team and may play a meaningful game in Copa America, Confederations Cup, Gold Cup or World Cup once every couple years. Compared to Mexico who we play twice in WCQ, and often play in the Gold Cup, plus average about one friendly match a year.

It sounds like sacrilege, but IMO root for Mexico when they are not up against the USA!

2. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    (Word & Lyrics by Bobby Troup)

If you ever plan to motor west,
    travel my way, take the highway that's the best.
    Get your kicks on Route sixty-six.

It winds from Chicago to LA,
    more than two thousand miles all the way.

Now you go through Saint Looey
    Joplin, Missouri,
    and Oklahoma City is mighty pretty.
    You see Amarillo,
    Gallup, New Mexico,
    Flagstaff, Arizona.
    Don't forget Winona,
    Kingman, Barstow, San Bernandino.

Won't you get hip to this timely tip:
    when you make that California trip

solo

Won't you get hip to this timely tip:
    when you make that California trip

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    lol. rep :)

4. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    In theory, of course, you're right.

That said, fvck that. I hate Mexico. I hope they lose every game 10-0. Nothing in the world of soccer makes me happier than seeing Mexico lose. Fvck Mexico.

5. I didn't chuckle. I cursed you for giving a score without putting (R) in the thread title. It has not yet been televised in my area and I was looking forward to watching it. Thanks a lot.

6. cdin

cdin Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Waukesha, WI
    Actually I would prefer that every WCQ that doesn't involve the US end in a 0-0 tie. This takes points of the table and keeps that tie breakers down.

7. drace768

drace768 New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    First, I do apologize if this ruined it for you. Second, why so harsh on this thread, when you gave a gentle reminder on another. Last, with just about every thread there are results alluded to in one way or another. The (R) is a nice idea, but if you really want to avoid finding a score you should not come to BigSoccer until you have watched the game.

8. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    I hope mexico loses every game 10-0 also.

I'll generally pull for any CONCACAF team in international competition (when they're not playing us), but I don't just want to qualify for the WC, I want to win the Hex and Mexico obtaining a bad result will help that.

If we do our job, it doesn't matter what any other Hex teams do, we will qualify.

9. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would I route for Mexico? I need to route for my house or work or for US home games. I may route for Mexico when I'm going on vacation or visiting relatives in Arizona. I will, however, root for Mexico when they're playing non-CONCACAF opponents. Last night, I admit, I was rooting for Panama and for T&T.

10. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    A voice of reason. I don't get the whole (R) thing. Who on earth would tape a Mexico match (or wait to see it on delayed cable somewhere) but show up here and actually click on a fresh Mexico thread?

It's not like your thread title was about choice of cleats or new sponsors of the MLS or something, and then you inadvertently blurted out the score. You gave him ample reason to shy away.

11. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Never.

Frijoleros.