We should push for Christian Gomez!

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by michoacano1, Jan 24, 2008.

1. michoacano1

michoacano1 New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    COWTOWN, TX
    With DC United almost done acquiring Marcelo Gallardo, it seems that Christian Gomez will not be in a DC kit next season. As stated by Goff, we can count on Gomez for around 10 goals and 10 assists (7 goals 8 assists in 2007). We need a midfielder of his caliber that will make plays and also score, which is what our midfield has also lacked. Marsch, Pancho and Nags had a combined 6 goals and 10 assists. Sasha had 4 goals and 13 assists. According to Goff, Gomez would play for 325K as long as he has a guaranteed 2009. His experience is very valuable. He is 33 years old. Thoughts?

2. hrothgarofsocal

Apr 22, 2007
    Union Ultras
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'm like M-1's idea......I think there's room for talent like this, and even though he's a senior citzen he can probably help with a transition through and after 2009. Jesse will be coaching the Fire by then.

And I'd love to see Gomez line up for us against DCU in MLS Cup 2008. You know he'd see the back of the net!

Give him two years. Ok - now go ahead and tell me what an idiot I am..

3. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, it would make too much sense.

Preki would have to embrace the idea first. I can see him being shy on the trigger after the Guevara debacle and the Nunez experiment. Gomez is a class guy and would bring tenacity and fliar that this team might lack during a playoff crunch. Think about it after all those years in DC and finishing your career in sunny California.

Guzan is going to have to be xfered first.

Make no mistake, he can still play.

4. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I agree that Gomez still has plenty left in the tank. He's a class act and he "knows" MLS, which is something that makes DCU fans a bit skeptical of seeing Gallardo, if he comes, as a sure thing replacement for Gomez. However, the claim that he would sign for 325K guaranteed for two is incorrect according to Goff. Latest is 600K for one year in the Middle East, but Gomez apparently will stay for DP money -- over 400K -- guaranteed for two years. Problem is that you guys don't have a DP slot. And don't ask me if allocation money can buy down a DP salary to non-DP salary -- I lost my MLS Rule Ouija Board a long time ago.

5. michoacano1

michoacano1 New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    COWTOWN, TX
    Goff hadsaid the 325K originally but now it has changed. We can pay him with allocation money to keep him under the DP. Especially if Guzano leaves then we will have the money to do it. I say we go for it!

6. MARCH_

MARCH_ Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see more south Americans to our team, hence DC unites way. :eek:

7. FC Arizona

FC Arizona Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    I have to believe he is going to take the $600K and head to the Middle East. I'm sure it will be tough on his family situation, but at 33 this seems like his final hurrah. It would be great if we could find a way to secure him for the next 2 years...

8. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    Gomez is a master talent. Surrounded by class players Gomez is a lethal passer and excellent free-kick expert. Surrounded by players going through a slump - he is double-manned and loses some potency - but easily earned his praise from fans and is a DC United legend.

Honestly, outside of the Galaxy who are spending that money like its the end of the world, taking a deep hit for Gomez is a better deal than getting other MLS players.

9. Nicky the butcher

Nicky the butcher New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    is no one besides me feeling upset that dc united seems more like a chivas team then we do. I love preki for what he sis for us last year but msut say we are de-volving into just another average MLS team. were gonna have to change our name to CD Real Wiz-crew. serioussly we got Esky? Harris? Curtin? I'd trade all those guys for the 2005 team. At least in our commencment year we had a distinct style of play and everyone in America said how fun it was to watch us. We had style. Sure we always lost but we looked good doing it. DC has signed will field more latinos than any other team in the MLS. Wasn't that supposed to be us. I don't care if were not the best as long as we don't lose our CHIVAS flavor. Does anyone agree?

10. Ranka

Ranka Member

Apr 1, 2005
    it is obvious that you are confused!
    nobody in their right mind would want us to have the 2005 roster!
    unless you are a fan of the other LA team.

11. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am in the complete opposite camp as you.
    I would rather win, I could care less where someone is from or anything about "chivas flavor" whatever the hell that is.

Just Win Baby

12. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how you could look "good" averaging less than a goal a game, unless you're referring to the Denilson kind of 'good'.

..................GP.....W.....L.....T.....PTS.....GF.....GA.....+/-
    Chivas USA.....32......4....22.....6......18......31.....67......-36

13. Red_&_White

Red_&_White New Member

Sep 23, 2007
    West Covina
    Stick to choppin' up Pigs and Cows, Friend.

we may have not gotten players to satisfy your palette but we didnt lose any of our best players. last i checked we did good last season. if it werent for injuries i am confident that we would have made a deep run in the playoffs.

i know we didnt get any "stars" i guess you want Latin "stars" but trust in Preki. im very confident. games are won on the field not on paper.

14. Squilch

Squilch Member

Jan 10, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Back on the original topic, I think it would be a nice move to scoop up Gomez on the cheap - meaning that everyone knows DC needs to get rid of him, so although he might cost a lot in salary, we can probably be had for a draft pick.

To me, that would make up for the Guevara debacle. We wanted a proven MLS playmaker, and we gave up a DP for it. If you're telling me we could win the West one year, save money on that DP, then get Gomez the next with more depth at forward, midfield and D (as we now have given this off-season's moves) then I'd say 'game on.'

DC has made some sweet moves this year, but nobody in the west would want to play us...

Squilch

15. MARCH_

MARCH_ Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    News on Gomez Goal TV reported Colorado Rapids are close to closing on a 2 year deal with Gomez and DC United!