We Really Screwed the Puig: The 2021 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by inswinger, Dec 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Given Barca are flat broke how were they going to sign Romero, with magic beans? :D

BocaFan repped this.
  2. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Missed the game vs Girona, but from the highlights both Gavi and Collado looked to have had a great game. The latter seems to be very skilled on the ball, which is great for playing under high pressure. Gavi seems more Xavi-esque, and only 16!

We have so much in-house talent, especially in midfield. We really don’t need to get another midfielder for the foreseeable future imo. Except maybe if we need a busquets-esque player, which is the only thing we don’t have bar maybe Ilaix. Busquets is just such a unique player.

Still worried about our defense. I Hope we can still make some astute sales and signings there before the window closes. Having to depend on Pique and Lenglet again this season is very unsettling.

3. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    What pressure though??? I mean this is a friendly game vs Segunda team btw. Though Gavi looks impressive. Things are natural to him.
    We still need a strong midfielder.

4. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    #329 Jpows, Jul 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    What in the world are you talking about? Who was talking about that type of pressure? I was simply talking about playing well in tight spaces, when the opposition pressures you for the ball and you have the skill or technique to get yourself out of said pressure. Try watching some of his highlights, maybe you’ll understand.

Other than that I don’t think we need a “strong” midfielder at all. Busquets was never a “strong” midfielder and yet he’s been one of the best players ever at his position next to Xavi and Iniesta who were equally not “strong” midfielders. We just need the “right” midfielder. If by chance he’s strong too then sure, but it’s not a necessity.

5. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Wacth the game and his highlight later then i think he is way inferior to Trincao who was benched last season. Collado will have same fate.
    Iniesta, Xavi and Busquest are on different level. Can not compare that trio to current midfield. There is no Iniesta and Xavi in this team. Well, there is Pedri but he is still 18. De Jong is never Xavi/Iniesta type, he is not even a Busquest replacement. One of reason why Pedri and Busquest play so well in Euro is Koke.

Strong midfielder is what we need. Some one to do box to box.

6. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Jesus. You sure know how to paraphrase someone and twist it into an exaggerated claim. Learn to just read what is written without trying to add stuff to it that wasn’t said or implied. You’ll have better discussions instead of me having to correct you the whole time about what I said, it’s really tedious.

I never said anything about Trincao nor did I make any comparisons to him, neither did I compare anyone to the trio of Busquets, Iniesta and Xavi.

For the last time, all I said was that we have some talented midfielders in our ranks. How far they will reach career-wise is still unknown regardless of your opinion on them cause at the end of the day that’s all it is, an opinion. That includes the reason why you THINK Pedri and Busquets played so well for Spain.

Furthermore, I was just making the point that having a “strong” midfielder isn’t a necessity. Just because according to you it is needed doesn’t mean that it’s a fact all across the board. As I have already mentioned we have proven that the best midfield in the world didn’t need this supposed strong midfielder per se. We just need to right one, the one that fits our style and brand of football.

7. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    What is the "right midfielder" to you??? Another Xavi and Iniesta??? Guess they are available. Iniesta - Xavi -Busquest trio had alien technical ability. None can reach that level.

We have quality midfielders like Pedri, De Jong, Busquest but compare that trio to Spain's trio (with Koke), tell me which do better. You need someone to tie midfield together. That is what Koke did.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, the only way we can bring in a midfielder is through a "trade" with Griezmann or Dembele. And we still have to receive a nice surplus of cash on top of whatever midfielder we receive, given the financial situation. So I don't know how good that midfielder will be. Certainly not gonna be anyone better than Saul-level.

It's time to start lowering the wage bill or else Messi doesn't get into the squad. Plain and simple. And that implies re-opening the door for Barca B players to get promoted.

9. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Lmao. You’re so fixated on this “Iniesta-Xavi-Busquets” trio that you cannot see how foolish your arguments are.

For the umpteenth time, I never said anything about anyone reaching any level whatsoever. Learn. To. Read.

As far as comparisons go, Spain was lucky to get as far as they did. They could have just as easily went home at an earlier stage. So let’s not act like they were this wonder team in the Euro’s. They weren’t.

The fact that you think we need a player of the likes of Koke says enough about how far our ambitions have fallen. Sad.

With that being said, I’d take de Jong and Pedri over most, if not every, midfielder tandems currently.

10. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Pjanić loan to Juve is supposedly a done deal

11. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    Don't forget Seydou.

Keita never did get the credit he deserved, but he played a crucial role in that team.

Total appearances during the Liga+UCL winning 2010-11 season:

Keita—56
    Xavi—50
    Iniesta—50
    Busquets—46

[​IMG]

Cosmin10 and unclesox repped this.
  12. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    I agree. I didn’t forget him though, I just rate Busquets higher together with the Xavi-Iniesta tandem. Credit to him though for sure.

13. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Funny that same Verrati ate Barca midfield alive in Camp Nou, yet was dominated by the Spain's trio with a "meh" Koke.

You said Barca don't need a strong midfielder but only came up with Xavi-Iniesta-Busquest trio. Tell me after that trio, which is Barca best trio before or after in midfield. Not under Rijkaard or Lucho. The last time Barca won UCL, it is Rakitic btw.

I pick Koke over De Jong to pair with Busquest and Pedri everyday. It is already proved in Euro. As good as De Jong, his strongest abilities are dribbing, carrying and his stamina. Those abilities aren't what Pedri and Busquest need to play with.

So if you want Barca style midfield now, you will need a player like Koke to play with Pedri and Busquest.

14. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I don’t like him at all but we’re being linked with that German midfielder whose more muscle than talent so some of you will be happier

15. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    #340 Jpows, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    There you go again, plucking random names out of thin air like I’ve said anything about that player in particular. Verratti? Who are you going to pull out of your magical nutty hat next? Lmao.

For the record, it’s not that evident to “simply” compare players in a particular tournament, in a particular group of players, in a particular system, and draw conclusions. You have no idea how a fit Verratti would have been in that same midfield as Spain. IMO he would have been a perfect addition to our midfield in that Busquets role. Much better than anyone you can come up with right now. Technically gifted, agile, vision, tackling ability. You name it. Not particularly “strong”, and yet, great for us. ;)

Aside from that, unsurprisingly, it somehow “escaped” you that Verratti almost didn’t make the Italian selection due to injury. He shouldn’t have even made it. So he wasn’t 100% at any point in the tournament.

Nothing is “proved” at the Euros. Clubs have often made the mistake of signing players based on a single tournament and ended up regretting it. James is a case in point for RM. Koke lmao. As good as de Jong? Goodness you’re delusional. Rakitic? Good Lord. It’s getting sadder with every post.

I’m done with this discussion. 100% agree to disagree. Good day.

16. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Goretzka?

17. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    You just hate Koke or any kind of midfielder like him. (Funny that Xavi once considered Koke is his heir :whistling:)
    So you mean Verrati (who is great through out the whole tournament)+ Ballon dor contender Jorginho are domniated by an old Busquest, 18 years old Pedri and a meh Koke but the same Verrati (without a Ballon dor contender) ate De Jong plus Pedri and Busquest alive in Camp Nou:eek:??? Do you know that match is the only match Italy is inferior to their opponent in Euro???

Never said Verrati is not fit Barca. You split nonsense. Verrati would fit perfectly but he is a different case and is not available so forget him.

It doesn't matter in Euro and in club season, Pedri - Busquest - Koke trio is better than Pedri - Busquest - De Jong trio. Not because Koke is better than De Jong but he fits way more. Same reason why Thiago is on the bench while Koke is starter:).

And you think Koke is just a single tournament player:ROFLMAO:???

18. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Running out of steroid.

19. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    When did I say I hate Koke? Not rating a player as highly as you do equates to “hating”? Are you 12? Grow up.

I simply don’t rate Koke the way you do and I sure as hell am not going to use one tournament as the criteria for judging him or any other player as that’s just silly. So cry me a river.

As far as Xavi goes, he’s not the first nor will he be the last player to overrate a certain player at a certain point in his career. Koke is NOWHERE NEAR Xavi’s level. Ask anyone, anywhere. I’ll wait…

Koke didn’t “eat” anyone alive anywhere. You’re delusional, which seems to be a recurring theme as things stand. You also seem to have a knack for exaggerating things.

I also never said that you said that Verratti wasn’t a good fit for Barca. Though you keep insisting on putting words in my mouth. At this point you’re arguing with yourself and it’s pathetic.

Thankfully we seem to have a board with a brain so I can’t see Koke coming to Barca. Haven’t even heard rumors about it so idk why you want to put emphasis on Verratti not being available when Koke isn’t either.

Lastly, I think it’s pretty clear that I’m no hater but you are certainly a fanboy. Never though Koke would merit having fanboys. Lmao.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Busquets is in much better form now than 4-6 months ago so that comparison isn't really fair on FdJ. Plus I don't recall PSG dominating the midfield that much. Certainly not in the second leg at least. Barca had all the possession that game - not unlike Italy v Spain.

21. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Yep

22. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Not really my cup of tea tbh. I wonder who else we are going to sign though. I think I read somewhere that Laporta said at least two more signings?

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    lol 2 more signings? Does that mean he plans on selling Messi? Don't see how we can afford 2 more signings, unless he back-loads their salaries like he did with Messi's contract.

24. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Everyone has apparently agreed a 50% pay cut APART from Alba , Umtiti and Pjanic

25. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    I don’t know what he’s planning. I just know he said it. Here’s the link. He said it during an interview too so it’s legit. Seems like some contract restructuring will be taking place as well.

https://www.google.nl/amp/s/www.bar...-three-or-four-more-new-signings-at-barcelona