We need offense! Bring in Chris Rolfe!!

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Ronaldo's Idol, May 23, 2006.

1. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    *ducks*

Ok the coast is clear.

I figured, during this mandatory sky is falling episode, I could slip in another Rolfe thread (I'm trying to reach my quote people!).

Seriously though, don't ya think Mr. Rolfe could've made some magic happen moreso than Mr. Wolff?

When we're playing a bunkering defense that is looking to counter, we need to take care of the ball, AND we need some creativity on offense.

Rolfe is capable of some magic. He could certainly get by his mark with some trick, and fire an accurate shot on goal and score on a solo attempt. He is much more likely than Wolff to do this.

If our offense was toothless, it certainly would have more bite with Rolfe.

I know the book has pretty much closed on Rolfe for this WC, but that doesn't stop me from starting threads now does it? And not only that, I start them in the "Holy" and protected News and Analysis forum, because while the sky is falling, all bets are off.

Anyone else wish Rolfe was in this game?

2. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    No Wolff has proven the past 20 games that he is one of the top world class strikers in the world. I commonly discuss the likes of Henry, Adriano, Crespo, RVN, Sheva, Ronaldinho, and Wolff when debating who is the best.

Rolfe is still a rookie and should watch Wolff carefully.

3. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're kidding right?!?! Where's your smilie?

Wolff has done absolutely NOTHING in his last 20 games for the USMNT. He's not even one of the top two strikers in Kansas City!!!

4. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    That was my point.

He sucks and has not done anything in twenty straight games. I think he has pics of BA......................................................

5. Soccerprep

Soccerprep Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Lafayette, LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i second that, and i am certian (or at least i hope) he is kidding

6. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    HAHA Thank you for humor on a crappy night

7. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    Actually, I don't like Wolff, but he is one of the top two in KC.

Who, beside EJ, is better? Sealy? Arnaud?

8. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    Damn, the mods are onto me!!!

This thread only got to grace the Holy land of N & A for like 10 minutes.

Nice job mods, you're really on top of it today!

9. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: We need offense! Bring in Taylor Twellman!!

<------------------------------------------

:eek:

10. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -&gt; UIUC
    "Don't blame me. *I* voted for Kodos."

11. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston
    Re: We need offense! Bring in Taylor Twellman!!

Word, LOL

12. after_the_fall

after_the_fall New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    I 100% agree with you. Im not sure what Josh Wolff has done for the BS hardliners, but they loooove the Josh Wolff. I just dont get it.

13. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    I think Wolff is disliked on BS.

I think BA is only one left who adores him. He might be good in practice.

14. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, you're right, FOURTH best on KC. ;)

Actually, I was thinking EJ and Arnaud...

15. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Chris Rolfe is not on the roster, unless someone gets injured.

Are you suggested that someone needs to get hurt?

At least it's not another Adu thread...

Edit: (FWIW, did any pushing Rolfe on us actually watch him play this weekend? He looked awful, and Wynalda frequently called him out on it.)

16. EEUU

EEUU Member

Mar 4, 2000
    Massapequa, NY USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it weren't for the injury he had, I would say Eskandarian. He's got tenacity, nose for goal, creates chances for himself and he's the best American finisher in MLS. Rolfe is too green at this point.

I don't think Bruce is going to throw Wolff out there as a 3rd forward in Germany. Hopefully (fingers crossed) BA knows exactly where and when to use Wolff's veteran leadership out there, because he doesn't make us a dangerous offensive team in the least. I think Wolff will ride the pine, or come in late in a game to preserve a lead ala Cobi in 2002, if BA doesn't use his subs defensively.

17. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

Yes, if someone was injured (Reyna might be) then I think Rolfe should be the replacement (especially since there are no alternates who could fill Reyna's role).

And Rolfe had a rough game this weekend, no doubt. But Wynalda, for some reason I don't understand, continually picked on him even though Rolfe didn't really make any significant mistakes. Rolfe had an average game.

Wynalda continually criticized him for apparently not being close enough to Jaqua to support him. That's fine, and might be true, but that says nothing about Rolfe's play outside of when Jaqua had the ball. When Rolfe had the ball he looked pretty good IMO.

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yes, he did. His footskills are sparkling. However, Chris had no juice; he just wasn't doing the necessary work to get open and get involved.

Jaqua, by the way, was terrible. I can't believe that people are fantasizing about him being a national team player. If they think the Morocco gang's technique was poor, they should watch Nate sometime. Hoo boy.

19. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Don't you get it? On BS, anyone who hasn't played significant minutes for the USMNT is awesome. After they play a few games, then they suck.

20. after_the_fall

after_the_fall New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    point of fact its probably the other way around. Josh Wolff and Brian Ching were the epitome of suck on the national team. Once they got callups, theyve been god's gift to the national team.

21. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

He was suffering from blisters on his feet before the game. In other words, it was painful to run. The kid belongs on the national team.

22. tbgh

tbgh New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    I also believe that Rolfe would have been a better selection than Wolff, but his form has really dipped for whatever reason and I wouldn't be comfortable with him as a striker either.

23. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Blisters

24. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ

Hopefully his blisters will heal by 2010.

Yeah that sounded glib, now didn't it? :p

25. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    I heard Rolfe was fatique, but didn't know about the blisters.

Anyways, Cunningham or Esky would have been fine by me too. Cunningham is a strong player and Esky is on one hell of tear this year. We need confident players. Ching being pushed down every play is him just going back to his old ways for the Nats. Wolff well is Wolff. He so good he doesn't even have to try out there, because he can lose the ball, never score or make a good "significant" pass and still be considered for a starting role. McBride, lets get him some service and see what happens, he has an excuse because he feeds off of service and he's successful at it. EJ needs live up to the hype already, Germany is a few weeks away. He's the speed forward, how about using that speed. I'll worry after Friday if this continues.