We got United in the Carling Cup

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Rick B, Nov 10, 2004.

1. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope the kids play. It will be great experience for them and I think they can take it to whatever team ManUre puts together. I agree the Cup should be taken seriously, in as much as a win over ManU means one less trophy opportunity for them. Hopefully they will get none and SRN will be canned!

2. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Reps for standing up for the old League Cup. I agree completely.

3. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can't see how we will start as favourites, from what I saw last night your second string is much more experienced than ours. Phil Neville, Djemba-Djemba, Saha, Kleberson, Brown, O'Shea, Fletcher, Fortune and Howard are all full internationals and one's a World Cup winner! Plus you're playing at home. If we could put one over on that team it would be sweet though. :D

4. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    thats what i was thinking.... they start first teamers for this competition.. we started Edu and Cesc.. let the kids take it to the manyoo first teamers~

5. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    But it is a distant 4th (5th if you count the uefa cup) on the list of trophies most fans/players/managers/etc. want to win. So, while we're still vying for the more important titles I'd like to see AW use reserves considering the current state of the first team and the nature of our next opponent.

I understand that this cup used to have far more prestige and that one day we may be excited to be in the quarterfinals of the tournament. That isn't the case today, so instead of being irritated at those of us who aren't thrilled about it perhaps you should take a more realistic view of Arsenal's current state of affairs.

I can't speak for anyone else but I sincerely wish that AW had used a reserve squad against manu in the FA Cup last year so the first team could've been ready to face chelsea in the CL. That doesn't mean I don't rate the FA Cup, it means I think we have to sacrifice ancillary ambitions to achieve the principal goals.

6. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003

fox, you know what they say bout hindsight.......

7. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Clanblue <-----*sighs, remembers the old days, shakes head and goes off to the other room mumbling under his breath about bloody foreign cups......

8. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Indeed. And its not like we even played badly in that game. Not our best by our long chalk, but well enough. Chelsea were the better team on the day. They won. Im not sure "opting out" of the FA cup would have changed that...

9. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

You can't say that here. Its politically incorrect...... :rolleyes:

10. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't know if I'm a dork or greedy or BOTH, but let's win the Carling Cup too.

11. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    That would be pretty sweet. EPL, CL, League Cup and FA Cup on the back of an unbeaten season. Charity Shield at the start of next season and that would be about as good as it can ever get :)