We got robbed a goal

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by UpTheMetro, Nov 3, 2003.

1. UpTheMetro

UpTheMetro Member

Jun 3, 1999
    New York
    I can't believe so few people are mentioning this. When the ball was cleared off the line by the Revs in the 2nd half, the ball was clearly over the line. Even though the camera angel wasn't great, I watched the replay about 5 times on my friends 57 inch tv and even my friend (a non-metro fan) agreed that it was a goal. Even watching a small sized television in which you couldn't see it directly cross the line you could still see the Revs player kicked the ball forward (not straight up) and it still went off the crossbar, which would not have been possible if the ball wasn't at least half a foot into the goal.

2. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    doesn't matter, its not going to change anything now.

3. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Give it up. You still would have lost.

4. Gar7

Gar7 New Member

Feb 7, 2001
    Southington, CT
    Wrong! Could have changed the whole match. Even if Metro still lose, they would have had a goal at least.

5. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You obviously have no clue as to how the playoffs work. It's a total goals format - who wins or loses the first game matters not at all.

6. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    It would be easier to make up a one goal deficit.
    A lot easier -- even for us!

7. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

I agree with you.

8. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

Tell me you don't realize this is an aggregate goal situation and going on the road down 2-1 is a lot different than 2-0.

Put this play together with Magee's point blank open net miss and you'll realize why Metro fans are talking about what might have been.

But that's soccer.

9. g bugout

g bugout Member

Jan 27, 2002
    nyc
    Don't get me started on this. I was screaming at the linesman for about 5 minutes, I *#*#*#*# you not. Yelling "IT WAS A GOAL!"

My throat is still hoarse.

I let him know he ripped us off, and yelled at him to watch the replay at night on tv.

He kept his eyes on the game but was shaking his head "No." at me.

Usually I might look a bit frightening, but it was difficult to take me seriously wearing my MPF derby on top of my stocking cap & sunglasses on the derby brim.

And I agree with the above stated sentiment that the game would have changed at that point.

We were definitely robbed.

10. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we played much better and deserved to win, it was bad luck all around, but we played well had lots of chances to score,

11. comrade

comrade New Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Was it?

Could it have been so clear to a ref who didn't have the luxury of five slo-mo replays on a 57-inch TV?

12. Wabbit67

Wabbit67 Member

May 19, 2002
    Avon-by-the-Sea, NJ
    Re: Re: We got robbed a goal

I don't know if it could have been clear to the ref but it should have been clear to the linesman. I sit in 108, row 1 and I saw the first time that ball was clearly under the bar, in the net. The linesman was right in front of me. He choked and did not have the guts to make the call. I also am still hoarse from screaming at him.

Look, we can't blame officiating for the result. If we had finished better, we should have had some goals. Still, the officials took away one that went in, and they failed to call several penalties: Clarke in the first half, hand ball right before Pope's shot, and hand ball in closing minutes (? couldn't see that clearly, basing this on crowd reaction). Our team cannot afford to have officals denying us goals and scoring chances. Officials can't take all the blame, but they should lose the right to call any more playoff games.

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    as a Rev fan let me say you might be right.It could well have been a goal. Probably was.But in a bang-bang situation sometimes the refs miss these.I am still steamed about the handball against Germany in WC 2002.The point is if you put in IN the net, the refs never miss.

14. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998

Congrats. 9471 posts and not one is relevant. BS record?

15. pepe_pupu

pepe_pupu New Member

Feb 4, 2003
    Arizona
    I agree it was a goal... but what do you expect with the referee that we had. I think he did a pretty poor job the other day overall.

16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr. 57-inch TV does realize that the entire ball has to be completely over the line, doesn't he? I saw the same TV replays you did, and while part of the ball was indeed "in" the net, you could see that when Noonan cleared it, the whole ball was not beyond the line.

The orignial shot was heading straight in, and Noonan got a foot on it and directed it upwards, and it hit the crossbar, bouncing away fron the goal. If the ball was completely in the net, the ball would have either bounced back down/inward, cleared the bar entirely, or barely grazed the bar. It would definitely not have hit the bar and bounced outward at the angle that it did. Maybe that's what the linesman was looking at when he made his call.

Hey, it happens. We had a goal disallowed earlier when the ball landed at least a foot inside the net on a Wolde Harris bicycle kick that surely would have been Goal of the Year. But I agree, overall the ref was pretty horrible for both teams.

Tom

17. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N
    For the third home game in a row, we clearly saw a second half hand ball in the box that was ignored by the ref and linesman(sorry assn't refs).
    It's like some kind of bad referee ritual.

However, the ref was bad throughout the game and even though some calls get me screaming, I would still rather have the human touch rather than the instant replay stuff they have in football.

The level of reffing in MLS is suspect. Good reffing is harder than it looks. The good ones make it look easy, don't miss much, don't interfere with the game, they give a stern look and a grin to let the player know on an early minor infraction rather then flipping a card. You can even see the scales turn on a call to make up for a previous one to kinda/sorta even it out.

Brian Hall is not bad. That's about it in MLS that I see.

18. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The WHOLE ball has to be in the net, not a 1/4 inch of it. You shouldn't be bitching about this call, you should be bitching about how Magee missed a wide open net.

19. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    Did the officiating in that match suck? Yes. But it was awful both ways. Marshall Leonard probably should have gotten a second yellow, and Digi should be out for whatever playoffs Metros have left. If players on both sides can get yellows for extremely minor infractions, there is no way that should have been considered an equivalent infraction.
    Was that a goal? Maybe. Was it clearly a goal? No way.

20. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Taped it and I was watching the angle that had Noonan's back side.

#1 the Goal Line that was chalked in Yellow wasn't heavy enough to help the situation. So Thanks to the Meadowlands as usuall to see Metro fail.

#2 Now back to the non-goal in question. Noonan's Right foot was on the line, his left foot inside the goal line. When Pope nailed his shot. on Slow Motion Noonan's Right foot went inside the goal line the ball was completly over the goal line and then Noonan deflected it in an angle that nailed the inside of the crossbar.

So yes it was a goal that the officials didn't allow. It crossed the entire plain of the goal line. Noonan's right foot that stood on the goal line when the ball was going into the net. Noonan moved his right foot off the line and inside the net allowing the ball to deflect in an angle that nailed the Cross Bar and out. That was a legit goal and the aggregate should have been at least 1-1 at that period of time.

21. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Where was the camera positioned? Was it even with the goal line? It didn't look like it clearly crossed the line in the views that I saw. The entire ball has to be behind the back of the line, and I didn't see that. Still, if the ball is up in the air and in the middle of the goal, that's a tough call to make. For the linesman, he'd have to see space between the back of the post and the front of the ball. The center ref, from out in the field, would never be able to see the ball clearly cross the line.

22. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You couldn't tell in real time if it was in, and you couldn't tell from the slo-mo replay on the screens at the stadium if it was in. You cannot fault the refs for this.

Now, you can fault Magee for missing a wide open net from five yards out....

23. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Or Mathis, for not getting a shot off when he got the ball in the clear in the box...

24. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I watched the play in real-time and on replay several times.... damned if I could tell you whether or not the ball was completely across the line. Hell, on Wolde's bicycle kick for the Revs this year you could clearly see the ball hit the turf inside the goal, can't say the same here.

Could have made a big difference in terms of aggregate.

The Magpie

25. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't seen the play, but a reminder that yes, the entire ball must be completely over the line and the posts and crossbar are extensions of the line. So even is the ball is partially hitting the net AND on the bar, it is not a goal.