We don't talk enough about Helmet

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Ellison, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Ellison

Ellison Member

Jan 11, 2000
    New Jersey
    I mean after all they were innovators and one of the best bands ever, even if you didn't know it.

Here's my Top 10:

10) Pure
    9) Make Room
    8) Turned Out
    7) FBLA II
    6) Wilma's Rainbow
    5) In The Meantime
    4) Your Head
    3) Milquetoast
    2) Unsung
    1) Sinatra

2. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Well, I should be going to see Tomahawk and Tool on Thursday. Tomahawk, if you didn't know, features Helmet's John Stanier on drums, along with Mike Patton (Faith No More/Mr. Bungle), Duane Denison (Jesus Lizard) and the bassist from the Melvins, whose name I can never remember. When you think about it, those four bands are all very important to the current wave of hard rock/heavy metal/nu metal, which I'm sure they didn't mean, and would be horribly embarrassed if you mentioned it to them.

Later,
    COZ

3. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If more heavy metal was like "Unsung", I'd listen to a heck of a lot more heavy metal.

4. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe this to be true as well. Somehow though, what Helmet was doing was beyond metal, it was certainly on a higher plane. If I remember correctly, I once read an interview with Page Hamilton of Helmet saying how he thought most heavy music sucked and that besides Faith No More, the Rollins Band and a few others that he almost exclusively listened to jazz.

5. whirlwind

whirlwind New Member

Apr 4, 2000
    Plymouth, MI, USA
    "Heh heh...these guys are cool..." -Butthead

"Yeah, but they don't dress like they're cool." - Beavis

6. Ellison

Ellison Member

Jan 11, 2000
    New Jersey
    I read somewhere that Page Hamilton was playing with a band called gandhi ... they recently played in the NY/NJ area, anyone go? Could gandhi have been Helmet?

Also, rumors are that once everyone is done with their other projects that Helmet will get back together. Supposedly, they played a show last Halloween together. The band booked to play the party did not show up, so Helmet re-formed and filled in. (damn if that's true I wish I was there.)

Anyone heard anything else?

7. Ellison

Ellison Member

Jan 11, 2000
    New Jersey
    Gandhi is completely different band ...

Page Hamilton -guitar, vocals
    Christian Bongers - bass
    Matt Flynn - drums
    (currently being replaced by Mike Conlin due to tour commitments with the B-52's).

8. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    They way I understand it, if Helmet reunited "officially", they'd have to pony up some music or money to Interscope immediately to honor that huge contract they signed prior to "In The Meantime".

I'd love to see Helmet live again. "Unsung" & "Milquetoast" are classic.

9. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Wow, I get my wish...Helmet plays the greatest little rock club in the world, Maxwell's in Hoboken, on Sept 25.

also:
    NYC/Bowery Sept 27
    Philly/North Star Sept 28

New album is out Sept 14.

10. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    While I haven't heard much of their stuff, "Biscuits for Smut" is a great song.

For a Helmet novice, what's the best album to start with?

11. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    I'd suggest that Meantime is the best proper album, but if you get the "hits" album Unsung: The Best of Helmet 1991-1997, you've really got it all.

12. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I saw Helmet live twice. Once opening for Faith No More and once sandwiched between Sausage and The Rollins Band. What a great band.........that I rarely listen to anymore. I only own Meantime.

13. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first song I ever heard be them was the "Gigantor" theme from the Cartoon Networks albumn Saturday Mornings Cartoon's Greatest Hits, haven't heard much else from them and completely forgot about them until this thread. Currently downloading some songs of Kazaa.

14. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    looks like they're playing in Lawrence, KS on a weekend. That's a bit of a drive (~3 hours) but I haven't seen them since they toured with the Melvins in '98 or '99

15. Ellison

Ellison Member

Jan 11, 2000
    New Jersey
    damn, didn't the servers crash or something, this post is still here ...

best band ever ... imo of course.

i'd start with betty, it's a little experimental though

strap it on and meantime are more raw

if you are really really new to helmet, get the greatest hits first.

16. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    It looks like the first bunch of shows (mostly in the Northeast) are being cancelled or postponed because Hamilton broke his collarbone biking.

The tour will now start in October.

17. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Helmet is my favorite heavy band of all time. When they broke up around 1997, it was the first time I was generally disappointed a band wouldn't make any more music.

For the new fans, get Meantime. It's just unbelievable, it still sounds relevant more than 10 years after its release, and it sounds much, much heavier and tighter than the hundred or so bands it inspired. If you dig that CD, then pick up Betty ("I Know" is one of my favorite Helmet songs.)

And the title could not be more true: nobody ever talks enough about Helmet :)

18. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, they were headlining that show with Rollins & Sausage, but it's a small matter. I remember because those skinheads nearly kicked Nathan's butt during the Rollins show and that was still during the day.

Of course, nowhere even close to Florida on the tour.