We don't need another gyro: Freddy Adu's Greek Tragedy

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Reignking, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or ever.

2. Drippingmilk

Drippingmilk Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I like how you're already making justifications for something that hasn't happened yet.

3. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giving Adu the chance to compete for the spot behind Henry is not ridiculous. Giving Adu the spot behind Henry would be.

4. YeOldeCoach

YeOldeCoach Member

Mar 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thanks for the info. That's a bummer if he ends up sitting out the last year of his contract without playing against strong competition. I would think it would take him a while to get back to playing at the level he is capable of if he is not facing competitive play.

5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Giving up players and draft picks for a guy who is a defensive liability and who frequently kills attacks with over-dribbling and doesn't really fit in with the style and culture the coach and GM are building is ridiculous. Some team may take a flyer on Freddy, but I'll be shocked if Soler and Backe are the ones to do it, unless it's very affordable and at no additional expense in terms of trades/fees. Even then I don't see how it makes any sense for Freddy or Red Bull. And Freddy as back up to Henry? - if he gets on the field in MLS I would think it would be as AM or maybe a slow left mid in the Lindpere mold.

6. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't saying the spot on the depth chart behind Henry, I meant the position on the field behind Henry.

New York has the player depth for once that they can afford to take a flyer on a high profile guy like Freddy. Not saying they will, just saying.

7. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    If Freddy has improved since his RSL days, it would be good for American soccer if he's back in MLS. People talk about needing US stars to inspire kids with their play, and black kids in particular. Just to turn kids on to soccer that aren't into it.

Like it or not, Freddy is pretty much the only man for the job, at this point. If he can have an impact on the community in just one city, the future of US soccer is brighter.

8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats exactly right. And as SFS said, it would be that marketability that is the appeal. Fact is Adu will draw an increase in exposure and seats. Thats why ive never been in favor of him going to one of the more established sides like LA or RBNY and i hope he goes against that. Hopefully its a side like Colorado, New England, Kansas City, Toronto, Chivas USA, Houston...a side that could actually use him/needs the exposure

9. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Or he could go back to DC United where they could rebuild around him. Using a system that allows him to have less defensive work.

10. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what does Freddy exactly do all day?

11. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    No. He has another year on his Benfica contract AFTER this one. His contract runs through 2012. With that said - he's basically on a free now as Benfica would love for anyone to make his salary liabiliity go away

12. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    when, was he pushed?

- no one push him to make a the move to Benfica
    - no one push him to make the loan to Monaco
    - no one push him to make the loan to Bele
    - no one push him to make the loan to Aris

all the above moves were pushed by him, as far as we know.

13. Erlking

Erlking Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watches movies, talks to his boy Michael Essien, watches other people play soccer on TV

14. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddy.. what excatly do you do here?

[​IMG]

15. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well-well look. I already told you: I deal with the god d*mn fans of so the USSF don't have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

16. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And what about all the things that happened before that that led him on this path? Because a 14 year old is capable of making life changing decisions while examining all the consequences, right? The Freddy we see today is a direct result of everything that happened in his early "youth" career with MLS. And he was only 18 when he went to Benfica.

Ok, he's an adult now, and he's responsible for himself. But he's dealing with the aftermath of his early career.

17. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bang on the drum?

18. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's probably one of us.... ;)

19. backupbackup

backupbackup Member

May 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    he watches movies and juggles a ball

20. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Bang a gong....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWV6eMaoTiE"]YouTube - Get It On - T-Rex ft Sir Elton John HD[/ame]

21. Seanin

Seanin Member

Feb 14, 2003
    We all like to joke, but anyone who's been left on the shelf at work knows what a pernicious situation it is. Not alone is your employer saying they have no confidence in you, but you have no opportunity to show prospective employers what you can do. The longer it goes on, the less likely you can salvage your dignity, let alone your career.

22. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forget that Freddy is a pro at not being wanted by a team -- I'm sure he has his routine down.

23. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go to training, pick up the check. Repeat.

But, can't be a great feeling to be isolated from the team. And Aris wanting him to leave means they won't be encouraging him in any manner.

24. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    How easily people seem to forget, this is a stand-off. Aris wants Adu to take a big pay cut that he and his agent refuse to take. Of course Aris won't be encouraging him in any manner. Both sides have taken a hard line.

25. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Adu is aware how much this hard line will effect his future dealings with other clubs.