We are the Timbers Army

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by j66j66, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi New Member

Apr 5, 2005
    I was pleased to hear this taunt too, even though some of our more-focused supporters had no idea who Nate McMillan was. It was fingernails on chalkboard for the Seattle fans....

The one guy in the beer garden bleachers roared a shout down at us...then flipped usthe bird...then smiled and raised his pint.

2. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003

These are the best types of chants. They show an understanding of local sports rivalries, and in this case, was very timely. I found it funny when I heard the TV replay. I couldn't hear it live at the match.

Seattle supporters gets lots of leeway when we do those kinds of cheers, but ANYTHING with swearing or that even appears "degrading" to women...well...the soccer moms hit the aisles to complain.

Example: "She Fell Over!"

A female soccer player in her 20's came down and told us that the chant was an insult to women soccer players everywhere, then walked off disgustedly.
    :rolleyes:

However, at the Sounders-US NATS UNDER 21 team match in April the soccer-mom crowd roared at two simple cheers:

"Does Not Play Well With Others!"

and

"It must be past your bedtime!"

3. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon

4. joe guy

joe guy New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Portland, OR
    A good thoughtful post.

As long as soccer is in it's growing stage, I think it would be useful to cooperate among various fans rather than cast silly aspersions about. We can get mean and nasty when all clubs or on solid footing, but until that day arrives, I think it would be wise to continue to promote soccer in both Canada and the US.

5. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would just like to comment on Timbers Army and the other USL club supporters.

The passion ya'll bring to the game surpasses many MLS clubs (mainly FC Dallas and KC). Many supporters' clubs in the MLS learned from Timbers Army and Emrald City Supporters, even in the NASL. Congratulations!

6. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmmm, well, this flag (and its variations) seems to be pretty popular among the bio-region types, the ones who are the most serious about Cascadian "reunification". I also think it is the best flag I've seen to represent a real Cascadian nation.

[​IMG]

Does that flag look familiar to any ECS'ers? :)

- Paul

7. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    He-he. No way, Bright!

Timbers Army would hate it because of the photo below.
    Emerald City Supporters would hate it because of the gosh-darn tree! ;)

[​IMG]

This offseason, when rivalry juices calm down just a bit...I'll float the idea of commisioning "Cascadia Cup" flag design for all three supporters groups. It will be one design, but can have the name of our cities to individualize them: The Timbers CC flag can have "PORTLAND" on it. The Whitecaps flag can have "BURNABY." The Sounders CC flag can have..."TUKWILA." :)

8. thepundit

thepundit Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tacoma, WA
    the Nate McMillan chant is classic, but i think an appropriate response would've been "Win-ning Rec-ord" given its logical application to.......all of the Seattle major league sports that Portland actually has....

may the Timers Army's delightfully negative influence spread throughout our developing soccer nation, and being a Sounders fan i like the symbolism in the union of the Timbers and Fire.

9. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Well, Portland should put this game away here in a few minutes. If that holds true, BRING ON SAN JOSE.

10. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Quite a nice result for Portland. They really fought hard and wanted this match! Too bad their "best" forward will be out v. San Jose. Byron Alvarez got 2 yellows/red tonight.

Best wishes against the Quakes!

11. crhs_fusballer

crhs_fusballer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Vancouver,WA
    Hey, awesome match and my first timbers game. I saw lots of scarves and was wondering where i could get the white and dark green one that says timbers army on it. Any help would be appreciated!

12. Lendog

Lendog Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Mt. Hood
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    You'd be surprised how easy it is to condition a 7-year-old to tune out the swearing, or learn to listen and not repeat, with a bit of education. Probably doesn't hurt that her Mom swears just as much as the TA.

Of course, she's a charmer. She gives the scarf off her neck to another one of the little ones up in Tukwila Saturday (possibly another kid of TA, but I can't testify to that), and since I had a replacement for her, she ends up giving one up in Kelowna to one of the Calgary newlyweds who accompanied us behind the north goal. If you're the first one to catch my daughter at one of the August matches coming up in Portland, you might get lucky... and I might have to put in for more.

In all reality, if it wasn't for the Army, I may have continued on being a vagabond stuck in Idaho but traveling wherever for MLS and whatnot. I most certainly live closer to Salt Lake City, but the only game I've gone to down there so far this year was the USA DH. Well, I am a Portland native, but more importantly, the Timbers Army provides a lot of reasons for me to enjoy the drive up. The drive back, eh...

14. steven nevets

steven nevets Member

May 7, 1999
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pix from thu. match v Wankcouver
    [​IMG][/quote]

15. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

In the game where Vancouver eliminated the Porkland from the Cascadia Cup.

16. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Very nice! You guys look great with such a big turn out all of the time. So, how do you coordinate the scarves being all on the "no pity" side, and right-side up?

That seems to, er....be an issue with us. :p

[​IMG]

Oh well, I guess we are getting a bit better...

[​IMG]

Keep up the impressive work, TA! The ECS (Seattle) admires all you have accomplished!

17. steven nevets

steven nevets Member

May 7, 1999
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    um The side NO PITY goes up when something bad happens to the other team. (inj, card, ect..) and we sing NO PITY IN THE ROSE CITY....

The TIMBERS ARMY side of the scarf goes up when we sing WISE MEN

Now we have a new scarf with the sunshine flag background (yellow & green). One side reads TIMBER JIM the other YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE.
    When we sing YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE that scarf goes up.
    -CHEERS

K-Man missed you in Kelowna...Oh shoot you guys don't do road trips. HA!

18. steven nevets

steven nevets Member

May 7, 1999
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also nice to see that the Shittle POD is on the verge of overtaking the Wankcouver Softciders in fan support for their club.
    -CHEERS

VIVA CASCADIA

19. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

No, I don't support the farming away of home games. There's no way I'd go up there and support what the Whitecaps did.

Thats the best you got? Here's a question for you. Does your team have enough money to finish the season? HA!

20. joe guy

joe guy New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Portland, OR
    With a Sunderland friendly this Saturday and a San Jose Open Cup match scheduled for August 3rd, hopefully the Timbers will have enough cash to play out the season.

This current lack of ownership is not only frustrating to the Timber following, but IMO not a good sign for USL Soccer. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if minor league baseball is doing their utmost in trying to sabotage a competitive and growing USL franchise.

21. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon

Damn straight. The PCL is holding up the sale of the team to our new ownership group because they are a bunch of baseball dickheads who are doing everything in their power to not allow the Timbers to be successful.

Even if we get 10K for the US Open Cup match the PCL dickheads are going to complain we did not get 12K. Never mind it is a bonus match - this is how those bean counters think.

Right now they are the sole reason the Timbers are unable to move any players to shore up for late season push. Dickheads indeed.

22. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell is all this crap?!! I just figured the Timbers were having an off season, didn't know anything about the ownership issue being a problem. Any extra info on the ownership problem would be greatly appreciated.

23. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    All I know is that a whole lot of noise was made about our new ownership group headed by this Iranian guy name Abe Alizadeah in early season. He even came and joined us in 107 for a meet and greet.

Now the sale has been held up over some stalling point or negotiation that we mortals are not privy to. The only thing we do know is that the PCL still owns the Beavers and Timbers.

PCL and AAA baseball guys are clueless about soccer or why the 1st Division is most certainly not AAA. Why? Cause the fans and the players care about the result of the games. Right now they are unwilling to release any more money for something they are about to sell.

Kind of like not wanting to fix the plumbing on a house you are trying to sell.

The thing is they have a repsonsibility to put the best product on the pitch possible and a responsibility to the fans and the team.

24. joe guy

joe guy New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Well I don't know about that. It seems to me that minor league baseball would rather have the field to themselves rather than compete with soccer every summer.

Sabotaging a soccer team isn't out of the realm of possibility, and from my paranoid viewpoint, it looks to me that is is happening right now in Portland Oregon.

25. donovanfan3456

donovanfan3456 New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    Ceara, Brazil
    Hello USL fans. I'm making a patch for the USL1 and 2
    for Electronic Art Fifa 2005 video game.
    So you can play with the USL if you want. I need help with you
    team with rosters. Match reports help, but they don't give all
    the info I need. And some info is hard to find on the internet
    This is what I need help with. I need the answers to these
    questions for all teams, even USL 2. I'm getting close to
    the end with the patch. I want to fine tune the lineups
    before release.

Who is the starting lineup (exact positions like chart below)?
    What formation is usually used?
    Who are the substitutes (limit 5)?
    Who are the reserves for each team?
    What is team -
    Captain?
    Penalty Kick taker?
    Free kick taker?
    Right Corner taker?
    Left Corenr taker?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I need exact positions Like

*****frutybob*******duckman******

seater**tom***sackboy********tommy

toadstool**evens***todds***franklin

***********anderson**************