Pre-match: We’re Back: US Soccer in the 2022 FIFA World Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by NietzscheIsDead, Mar 31, 2022.

1. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    The players are very aware of the toxic fan environment up to this point:

“I just don’t think it’s about age,” he added when asked whether their relative inexperience could prove a strength half a year down the line in Qatar. “I think we have a hungry team, a hungry bunch of guys who are playing at top-level clubs across the world and I think we can go in with confidence no matter what. No matter our age, we’re going to give it everything we’ve got. Hopefully the country will get behind us, support us, I know they will, and yeah, we’re just thrilled for the opportunity.”

Pulisic is aware. They’re all aware. It’s time to tone down the team selection and lineup selection screeching, people. These are our guys. It’s time to wave some flags and sing some songs.

Bajoro, zanderbz, Burr and 2 others repped this.
  2. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Iran finished qualifying with the most points in AFC, ahead of South Korea.

3. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iran finished top in Asian Qualifying. They actually have forwards playing in Europe that score goals too. Very solid defensively, don't concede many chances let alone goals. The US struggles against low blocks....

This is a very tough group for the US. If any one doesn't believe that England and Iran were happy to see the USA in their group, you're either lying to yourself or have way too high an opinion of the US's place in the Soccer World.

The fourth team:

Wales: Gareth Bale has scored UCL Final winning goals. Plus he's rested. Between their organized D and his ability to single handedly win a game with half a chance...not an easy opponent.

Ukraine: It's safe to say that they will be the World's Team should they make it.

Scotland: play a low block, which is never easy for the US to play against.

While not the hardest of groups, certainly not one of the easiest either. There's not going to be any easy games in this group, nor any sure fire wins.

nobody, majspike, gjackson2207 and 2 others repped this.
  4. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    It's the World Cup. All the teams are tough. They're supposed to be. It's the World Cup!

jnielsen, zanderbz, Burr and 6 others repped this.
  5. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly this.

6. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are putting words into his mouth. He said nothing about the fans being toxic here. These are just platitudes. He even said, "I know they will," which you didn't bold.

majspike, CU soccer and GreedyG repped this.
  7. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure teams are happy they are playing the USA instead of Germany or Netherlands but just look at Iran's roster. It is weak. If our forwards played in weak European leagues, we would also have forwards scoring goals in Europe.

8. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    This is the first time that the USMNT has ever had to add the word “hopefully” to that kind of statement. It has always been understood until now.

9. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    'for their cause'...you mean defending their country which is being invaded by another country and slowly having its cities destroyed.

no wales and scotland are not being treated unfair in this situation

10. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    How about we take a breath regarding the 'toxic' part about the fans. There's a handful of jackass fans who make it about them and not the team. But 90% support the team, no matter which individual players are part of the team. ********sticks online make up a tiny % of US fans. Most don't have the time to waste being idiots on online message boards or twitter. ;-)

Bajoro, GreedyG, zanderbz and 2 others repped this.
  11. NavyVet

NavyVet Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Mar 1, 2022
    Beverly Hills, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    German Iranian American here I wish both teams the best of luck. The last time Iran and USA played Lyon France 2-1 Iran.
    Should be another epic thriller, I was at this game and met most guys on the US and Iranian teams, both are great guys. This game will be physical but both teams will play clean. The winner should advance to the 2nd round, with England
    USA vs Iran round II

nobody, Bajoro, gomichigan24 and 2 others repped this.
  12. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure I'd say 'handful' but it is not a majority. Some places it is worse than others, but it always seems to be present. For many I thinkk they are just socks, while others just invest way too much energy in trolling.

13. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post. It’s great - you get to root for both teams!

jnielsen and NavyVet repped this.
  14. NavyVet

NavyVet Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Mar 1, 2022
    Beverly Hills, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have a neat picture and story to share. When I was in San Fransisco, I happened to bump into two legends one from Iran and one from USA. If I could find it iny photo album. I was about to take a picture with one of my heroes Ali Daei because he played at Bayern Munich(mom is from Iran dad is from Germany)
    So Mr. Lallas says, "Would it be ok if I could get in on this picture>" Ali Daei and I look at each other like, "Of course you can American Legend." It was nice of Daei to call Lallas an American Legend. It was a nice picture because it shows both worlds and cultures colliding, one player from the US and the other from Iran. Honestly, I am hoping for a TIE so I don't have to play favorites or one fan base doesn't get crushed over the other. There is a possibility of that to me both teams are pretty evenly stacked. England should be the group favorites but USA or Iran can tie or win, England is not invincible. This should be a fun group, it is the most interesting one , for me. So I have 3 teams to route for Iran USA and Germany good luck to all 3. To the England, Spain, and Japan fans, may the best teams win, in the name of good sports. I have Navy vet in my name, and Die Mannscahft on my avatar but have love for all 3 USA Iran and Germany horary for multi-culturalism, I can also speak English, German and Farsi. I am really looking forward to USA vs Iran, there is EXCELLENT sportsmanship, as you saw on that pic with the Iranian team greeting team USA with flowers, before the game. Actually, all 3 are classy teams and have a bunch of good guys, met some German footballers aes well that is why I love them all.
    '

jnielsen, nobody, majspike and 8 others repped this.
  15. NavyVet

NavyVet Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Mar 1, 2022
    Beverly Hills, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    All 3 jerseys are in my closet in the name of godo sports, GODO LUCK USA!
    DFB.jpg iran.jpg USA.jpg

16. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not wrong, but that speaks to the arrogance of English fans as much as anything. The USA is not an opponent to be feared, but also not a team that anyone should be itching to face. The athleticism and quality can be problematic for anyone. In my experience, English fans know f*** all about our team besides players they see in the Premier League. It's not like they've been at home breaking down film of McKennie, Weah, and Dest. They don't know what our team can do.

17. NavyVet

NavyVet Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Mar 1, 2022
    Beverly Hills, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #42 NavyVet, Apr 1, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
    Oh I can attest to the arrogance of English fans but haven't they learned their lessons from the LAST TIME? At in USA we learn from our lessons. In 98 Cobi Jones disrespected Iran a bit by saying, "We need to score a lot of goals."
    I can later on post the CBS article that Greg Berhalter the coach of the US Men's NT was very complimentary of Iran and England." Some English fans are smart though, a few commentators were saying, "Man they did not do England any favors." English fans won't see it that way because they like to snob their noses at teams like USA and. Without getting too biblical I am reminded of Proverbs 16:14 Pride comes before the fall.
    If England is too prideful, the fall will come. I know the team will not be underestimating Iran and USA, they know better. I mean anyone is beatiable and USA and Iran are fully capable teams. In 2018 Iran tied Portugal and usually play the good teams tough. USA is also no stranger to beating or tying big states.... just ask the English National team. England fans, you got to admit this, they are entertaining lol. oh and Daei and I were both cracking up, Lallas is historical. We could see why he is on TV.

18. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazing story. This, to me, is what the World Cup is all about.

It would be great if you could post that photo!

It’s going to be a tough group. I know everyone on this particular forum are die-hard USA fans. While some are not so fond of the current coach, I believe we’re all unified to support the team.

It’s great to be back at the World Cup!

jnielsen, zanderbz and RossD repped this.
  19. NavyVet

NavyVet Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Mar 1, 2022
    Beverly Hills, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #44 NavyVet, Apr 1, 2022
    I GOT TO find that photo that is what the World Cup is ALL ABOUT my man, people from different parts of the world coming together. Then, when they meet in life, in another random situation, there is nothing but love.

Now as for England their fans, well what can I say, you feel their presence haha. They better not be arrogant, i mean USA tied with England before and Iran in 2018 tied with Portugal, lost to Spain 1-0 and beat Morocco, not bad for the group of death .Don't get too cocky three Lions fans. Yes you won a World Cup, the one that you hosted and it was controversial. We got to have some fun with our English friends, across the pond, jolly good.
    Lallas shared a story about how when he was in the Bundesliga(daei was too with Bayern) there was this Greek guy he played against. In German there is a word for actor, schauspieler but it is an insult. In the Bundesliga if you get caught schauspieler, you get 8 games dediucted pay 25 % of the season.
    Lallas told us the story of the Greek guy acting and how the ref missed it. After the game, very respectfully, Lallas told the ref he was wrong and go review the tape. Later on he mentioned they were teammates in the MLS. I asked, "Mr. Lallas, what was his name." Him , "I don't know Socrates." lol @ Socrates. So Socrates got 8 games worth of pay deducted. If you come at the King, you best not miss. Daei and i were on the floor, cracking up.
    in 2018 when Iran beat Morocco and the Moroccan player scored a beautiful own goal Lallas, "Well, at least he can tell his grandchildren, he scored the game winning goal, in the big game. When England got eliminated after the Brix fiasco Lallas "Now that is what I call a Brixx" "lmao

gjackson2207 and The Clientele repped this.
  20. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love your perspective, my man. We need more of it on these boards!

We are only a few hours into World Cup planning and I’m already immensely enjoying it.

jnielsen and NavyVet repped this.
  21. NavyVet

NavyVet Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Mar 1, 2022
    Beverly Hills, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #46 NavyVet, Apr 1, 2022
    From AFC .com Iran 2-0 Lebanon, how they got to be a pot 3 team and face USA
    Me too my man, this is like my Christmas only it happens, once every four years. Imagine how excited you get every Christmas right. Now imagine if it happened only every four years? If you need any help with content or information on the Iranian team please let me know. I wrote a good article why Sardar Azmoun would bea good fit for Bayer Leverkusen. Let me know my friend cheers. I love your enthusiasm and love of the game. Oh and I'm the 6'f++ with good vertical so I was always the designated GK. In 94, I would watch the US team train all the time, they would practice right next to Castille Elementary. Anyways ood luck with team USA and let me know if I could help with content, highlights of games from team Iran Someone could get it to coach Greg Berkhelter. I am sure Dragan Skocic(if he still is the coach for the World Cup) would not mind sharing team game tape. The last time Iran saw the pitch
    goals Azmoun and Jahanbaksh

Direct link in case
    For the first time women were allowed in the stadium!
    They call it Azadi or Freedom Stadium, it finally is living up to it's name

Iran knock out Lebanon's slim hopes.
    (2) #AsianQualifiers - Group A | Islamic Republic of Iran 2 - 0 Lebanon - YouTube

Enjoy. As you can see they have good strikers and wingers but that CB Kanni had two assists he is very skilled.
    Now we know a bit more about Iran their 3 best are Azmoun, Jahanbaksh and Taremi but they have plenty of skilled players who play in Europe, this will NOT be easy for anyone. I don't know why England fans are being a bit cocky but should be entertaining .

if the name of the Goalkeeper ABEDZADEH sounds familiar that is because we played the dad in 98 Ahmad Abedzadeh, one of Iran's best goal keepers. That is his kid Ahmadreza Abedzadeh. Question to World Cup buffs has it ever happened that a father played against a team in the World Cup and the son who plays the same position, gets to play against the same team?

Casper Schmechel son Dad Peter, both GK for Denmark in the WC but I don't think they played against the same teams.

nobody, RossD and The Clientele repped this.
  22. The Clientele

The Clientele Member+

Portland Timbers
    Jun 25, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the generous offers to share. Unfortunately, it looks like the videos are not working, probably based on licensing.

All the same, welcome to the board. Will look forward to sharing perspectives over the next few months. I’m now off to walk the family dogs!

23. NavyVet

NavyVet Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Mar 1, 2022
    Beverly Hills, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #48 NavyVet, Apr 1, 2022
    I believe that is the case but let me give the link or steps. Subscribe to AFC Asian Football Conference on youtube because they are the ones who officially are licensed to carry all of Asia's World Cup Qualifiers. When I put in on my computer it shows up so you can go to your computer and still share the file. it's 50/50 sometimes it shows the highlights sometimes it doesn't.
    I shared the AFC link because that is the official one. I am sure there is one American on the team or coaching staff who knows about Big Soccer. At least they can follow the direct link and study Iran's game tapes from round II and round I-
    Let's try this out because it's from fans who edit with music, maybe then we can view. Come on man I was a Crypto in the Navy I better find something caveat lyrics might not be suitable for the youngsters, This guy is what the Persians call Dahati villager, I would have picked some traditional Persian music to go with the game highlights as someone who loves classical piano-music.

Something like this would have been cool
    Also Iran fans are hardcore but some of the FRIENDLIEST and WARMEST fans you will ever encounter.

Arash Iran Iran official Russia video

The Clientele and RossD repped this.
  24. Douglas Campbell

BVB
    United States
    Mar 2, 2018
    I fully expect Gio Reyna to force the Iranians to accept the nuclear deal.

CU soccer, The Clientele and RossD repped this.
  25. Douglas Campbell

BVB
    United States
    Mar 2, 2018
    I think Ukraine could be dangerous. Given the situation, their players could get super motivated. Their army is fighting and giving their all for their country. I would expect their players to do the same. Could be a tough out.

It's often not noticed, but the US's great 2002 performance came just after 9/11. I think for sure our team had a bit of extra motivation. We've sent far more talented teams in terms of where the players played to the World Cup.