Wcx

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by SgtSchultz, Mar 30, 2004.

1. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    A couple months ago on a different thread I mentioned a project my brother and I were working on named WCX. As Qualifying draws near, I think it is time to tell US supporters what we have been busy doing. My brother purchased a school bus and we are in the process of converting it to the World Cup Express. Right now, we are about 85% done. The interior has been transformed and we are waiting for the weather to warm up before proceeding with the outside paint job.

Our entire purpose is to drum up support for the Men's team. We view the bus as a roving billboard. We aim to bring the bus to as many qualifiers as possible. For many years dedicated fans have supported the team faithfully. The only problem has been the number of supporters. With the WCX, we hope to change that.

I have pictures but am having difficulty uploading them to bigsoccer. Is there anybody out there who can help me? I would really appreciate it.

Bill

2. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    To all who are interested in what we are doing, go to www.geocities.com/worldcupexpress2006

The pictures are a few months old and by next weekend if the weather permits the outside of the bus will be painted.

3. andygus

andygus Member

Dec 13, 2001
    No. Va.
    What a fantastic idea! This is awesome. Where are you guys located? I'd love to hitch a ride on that thing to a qualifier. Any chance it will make roadtrips for Central American qualifiers?

4. superlimey

superlimey Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Boulder, CO
    That is very, very cool, I'll look out for you guys in Colum"BUS" (groan).

5. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Well damn. Too bad you can't bring the thing to Germany.

6. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Right now, I am busy working with my brother trying to get the bus finished. By Friday, the outside of the bus should be painted. Unfortunately, I will not be able to travel with him to the game in Columbus. My work is sending me over to Germany for a year. As I tell everybody, I am heading to the fatherland to scout out places for Germany 2006. I'll keep everyone informed via our webpage. This has been a massive undertaking. I probably have brain damage from all the paint fumes I have inhaled the last few months not to mention all the beer I have been drinking. However, it has been all worth the time and effort. I think many of you will be surprised by the final product. This has truly been a labor of love.

The pictures of the webpage do not do justice to the final product. The outside speakers are loud and will play pro American music. For those in the politically correct crowd, I suggest stay away from us. We are tired of having a talented soccer team booed in their own country. This has to stop. Our guys will receive undying support from us. Anybody who joins us for our trips, will have to have great voices and be somewhat rabid in their support for the Red White and Blue. We don't want soccer moms in our bus. This is a grassroots effort and I dont want corporate entities telling us how to behave.

By the way, my brother and I like beer and we expect anybody who joins us to have the same feelings about the greatest drink in the world.

Bill

7. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Wow. Awesome.

I'd LOVE to ride on that thing for the hex.

Music? Springsteen. Lots and lots of Springsteen.

8. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    count me in.

9. superlimey

superlimey Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Boulder, CO
    I was thinking the same thing, what d'ya say Bill?
    I say paint a big "2-0" down each side and cruise that baby straight up into VIP parking at Azteca next year. I'm sure no harm would come to it. ;)

10. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc

at they gym today, a mexican confused me for a mexican and asked me if I was excited for the "showdown" tomorrow. I knew he would be disappointed when I told him that I was, but that I am not mexican and wouldn''t root for mexico if they were playing the taliban.

We talked for a bit and he told me how Mexico will dominate the US like they did last time, referring to the 4 nil thrashing of the U-23's. I quickly got him to agree that there was a hige difference not only between U-23's and the senior sides, but that nothing compares to the importance of a world cup match. So, after I brought up June 17, 2002, the poor guy was destroyed.

His face sunk and he appeared generally depressed. He told me how he was in Mexico at the time and how nobody could believe what they saw. He spoke of that day the way most people speak of September 11. I could not keep the smile off my face. It stretched from ear to ear - I'm talking painful smile here.

I would love to roll through Mexico, inflicting massive depression on their people. That is the way you humiliate and embarass someone, not by flying planes into buildings.

11. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
  12. Joe Gannon

Joe Gannon New Member

Jan 27, 2004
    New Market, Md.
    Yes, the bus is cmoplete. It is already involved in preseason festivities but will make its grand entrance on June 13th in Columbus.

Go US!!!

13. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    It looks incredible guys, fantastic job.

That Mexican picture has to be made into a banner for Azteca.

14. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NJB BUS is jealous.

15. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Built in 2 footer Graffix bong for the schmoking friendly types?

16. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Curious as to what this project cost you, all-in.

I'd like to talk to you guys about it.

17. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please, for the love of God, don't play Party Bus by the Venga Boys.

18. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Wow. That is awesome.

Wow.

19. Joe Gannon

Joe Gannon New Member

Jan 27, 2004
    New Market, Md.
    Here's the deal: WE purchased the bus for $3,800. $1,000 for inspection (it needed 2 new tires). $500 for taxes, tags, reg., etc. $200 for insurance (collision only). $600 for the tv, $400 for the indoor/outdoor stereo system. $400 for the recliners. The benches, kitchen, bathroom, walls, floors, cushions, paint,etc. are all home made from materials easily purchased at local stores. We also paid a mechanic to check everything out and to teach us how to maintain everything - you'd be amazed at how many filters this thing needs (7!!!) and how much oil it uses (5 gallons!!!)
    Total cost so far about $9,400. (Labor? a ton, but it was a labor of love).

We plan on building a small back deck for the grill and we have yet to install an awning for those inclement weather trips.

Last note if you're interested. I found out that most school systems have to unload their busses after 12 years - no matter the miles. The mechanic buddy of ours used to work on busses and told us the specific one to buy (International diesel with a 360DT Automatic Allison Transmission - never breaks down, never.) It had 150,000 miles and no rust and was in great shape. We then just un bolted all the seats (my students wanted them - I teach in a High School), ripped up all the flooring (ugly green) and just attached everything using angle irons and bolts. All busses have to massive I-beams running front to back and a bunch of smaller ones every foort or so running side to side. On the inside wall is a one inch lip that runs the length of the bus on both side. We used this to attach a lot of stuff to. What I'm trying to say is that if you are willing to put in the time, this is something that anybody with a little bit of ability can do.

20. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! That's awesome.

21. socrne1

socrne1 Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 12, 2003
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow that is incredible, and that picture of the Mexican cleaning that thing is even better. So how can we ride this magic bus? Do we all meet up in Dallas and take it down to Azteca? Feel free to come on out to Chicago this summer, we will cruise around all of the Polish neighborhoods.

22. Joe Gannon

Joe Gannon New Member

Jan 27, 2004
    New Market, Md.
    I'm not sure if we're going to make it to the Poland friendly in CHicago. We're still trying to get our schedules worked out. We will be there for both Columbus games and the 9/4 game in Boaston.

23. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    This is what I thought. For less than 10k, I'm thinking that The MDSC Ditkawagon woudln't be out of the realm of possibility.

Do you have design specs or plans still?

24. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    I think you have to be flexible in the design. When we started, we discussed what we wanted on the bus. Of course, we were not able to incorporate every wish. You make concessions whether it is caused by space or money. For example, we initially planned for a shower. Although this would have been a nice addition, it was not really necessary. Having a professional paint job would have cost too much. We decided for a simple design that could be accomplished by 2 simpletons. Although not professional in appearance, the bus does have a grass roots appeal. Personally, I prefer our exterior paint job. Is the bus perfect? No. There are a few design changes we will make in the future. However, I get great satisfaction knowing the bus will provide roving visual support for the Men's team. Even though my brother and I had to suffered much physically, I would do this all over again. What we really hope for in the future is to have a number of buses dedicated to the Men's team. Could you imagine 10 buses heading to a qualifier? This is all about ratcheting up the level of support.

25. Lendog

Lendog Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Mt. Hood
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I could see the pictures. But this wonderful government network won't let me on geocities.
    You can e-mail them to me at james.lenhart(at)salem.af.mil
    Being bored here in Kuwait and waiting for 2006 so I can get crazy with the rest of the U.S. fans!!!

--CHEERS

http://www.soccercityusa.com/bbs