Wcq: Portugal vs Ireland (sept 1)

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by prodigal_mind, Aug 26, 2021.

1. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pep has faked him up playing him out wide had a good run of good games when their main man was out and pep played him through the middle

SCP_16 repped this.
  2. Caldo Verde

Caldo Verde Member

None
    Portugal
    Feb 3, 2018
    When you look at their squad and their results it's hard not to think of them that way. I mean they lost at home to ********ing Luxembourg.

But perhaps I shouldn't be so harsh, because Portugal also struggled to beat Luxembourg...

3. The Zeta Variant

The Zeta Variant Red Card

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    Happy for Ronaldo but a loss would have even better for us and would have likely
    Resulted in a coaching change .

ScpBoy77 repped this.
  4. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    You are dancing all around it but wont mention that your buddy Bruno has been complete trash for Portugal.

Bruno should never start again, Rafa should never start again, Jota should never start again.

5. Ninho29

Ninho29 Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You’re input on players is abysmal. Not sure if you’re a troll but you look pretty damn stupid yet again today after bashing our captain.

Vamos!!!

ScpBoy77 repped this.
  6. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    At the end of the day we still were horrendous. Took a 36 year old to yet again be clutch in the final minutes. CR7 wasn't the greatest today either, but consistently proves that he is clutch when needed

NewLaw83 repped this.
  7. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Spot on

Shows what great player do, had a quite game turns up to save the day, legend

NewLaw83 repped this.
  8. Açores57

Açores57 Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ronaldo isn't going to influence the game the way he used to, the guy just needs service and the goals will follow. The supporting cast is abysmal at getting him the ball into those positions. Everything is a cross at a standstill.

Don't know if it's personnel or tactics or both, but the team is completely clueless going forward.

9. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ronaldo is out of the next game with the yellow card he received for taking his shirt off

10. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It should not have to come down to Ronaldo. Not when we have the talent that we do. This falls on Santos. It's September and he still cannot get the best out of Bruno & Jota. This was the number one thing he needed to work on coming back into qualifying.

11. parkben1

parkben1 Member

Feb 18, 2006
    brooklyn
    We won’t have Ronaldo to bail us out against Azerbaijan. That yellow for taking off his jersey could end up biting us in the butt.

12. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    Exactly

13. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Santos is probably done. Lol!

Time for a line up rehaul. Renato needs to stay healthy, he's our lifeline.

14. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Weak mentality players bug me, at club level, they're ok, at nt level, they stink.

parkben1 repped this.
  15. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    we have nunes now too as backup thankfully

I think he would have been fired if we didn’t comeback. Almsot makes you wish we lost

16. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #141 prodigal_mind, Sep 1, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    [​IMG]

This you?

SCP_16 repped this.
  17. parkben1

parkben1 Member

Feb 18, 2006
    brooklyn
    Agree with you but if this squad can’t beat
    They could have used Sanches today. What’s your opinion on Nuno Mendes performance. None of his corners got into the box and he looked slow running down balls. I just hope this kid won’t struggle at PSG like Sanches struggled at Bayern.

18. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Bernardo was ok today. People being a bit overcritical.
    Strange that Bruno and Bernardo do not work well together.
    Mário and Guedes the subs (by Santos) provided two assists.
    I understand the critic of Santos but I also think people think we have a much better team than we actually do, this is not 1970 and we are not that Brasil side (for example).
    Never been a Fan of Ronaldo (he just annoys me) but as a footballer...
    Next game Saturday versus Qatar or Catar then Azerbaijan away.
    If we win we got Luxembourg at Home and then Ireland away and Serbia at Home.

Thanks Ronaldo

19. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    People expecting anything other than a performance lacking dynamic midfield play, a upbeat tempo, passing and movement in pockets of space between the lines, and organization, are delusional.

Until Santos is gone this will never change, we will continue to employ the same game play (pass it along the backline or midfield, push it outwide, rely on a give and go or individual piece of skill to drive to the byline and then cross or square it back). That or hopeless balls into the box. We made Ireland actually look decent today, and this is by far their worst squad in a long long time.

It's past the point of blaming the players too much for not being able to replicate their club form, the pivotal factor is on the bench, with his imprint on every sector of the pitch.

Ronaldo continues to save his job, and us. Impossible how he keeps doing it at his age.

Açores57 and jec1 repped this.
  20. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    NewLaw83 and JoseEmidio repped this.
  21. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal has had abysmal coaching but never a coach that could implement a good tactical plan, a team like this should be easy to expel crappy teams.

Who's worse? Queiroz or Santos (got us a euro title, but our D won it.)Lol!

22. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Love the Commentary (cannot understand a thing though)

23. parkben1

parkben1 Member

Feb 18, 2006
    brooklyn
    We are lucky to be able to watch such a great team play. I remember listening to my shortwave radio and listening to Portugal lose games like this one back in the late 1970s and the 1980s. I’m sad that my father was not alive to witness all the success that Portugal had the last 25 years. The last game we watched together was Portugal losing 1-0 to Italy in the 1994 World Cup Qualifier.

Paposeco, NewLaw83, IslandBoy and 2 others repped this.
  24. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    I’m not sure there’s any point in analysing these games while Santos is there but if I am making some sort of analysis it would be that even the ‘us against the world’ mentality which was the only thing Santos had in his locker is no longer getting through to the playing group. The signs are very concerning in my opinion and I hate to say it but I wish we had lost this morning.

not sure where the team goes from here

25. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yes, many people missed out including Eusébio, my nephew only know us qualifing for Tournaments All The Time...

NewLaw83 repped this.