WCQ: Oct 10th at Panama - (Panama City)

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by wixson7, Jun 21, 2021.

1. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Great report! Thanks.

2. KurtisW

KurtisW New Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 7, 2021
    Just came back here and saw this. I really appreciate the offer. I had ended up getting one on the Panama site. Was great meeting a lot of you all

wixson7 repped this.
  3. OlympiquedeMarseille

Apr 18, 2012
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #28 OlympiquedeMarseille, Feb 23, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
    What specific section were you in?
    What section were you in back on 2017?
    Apparently FEPAFUT isn't communicating with the CSA regarding their request for a small "away" section.
    So the small number of Canadian fans may have to figure things out on our own.

Any other suggestions or recommendations?

Walk from the El Crisol Metro?
    Walk from Villa Lucre?

Any changes for away fans since the USA game in October that Canadians should be aware of?

Edit:
    It looks like they have a designated "away" section that they are not selling.
    https://fepafut.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/VENTA-DE-BOLETOS-WEB-1-1024x471.png
    Was that the section the fans were in?

4. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014

We were in the lower level section directly under the one labeled “Visitante” on that map. It was the northeast corner, along the sideline (bottom right on your map, in the light blue “Preferential Inferior Este”). It’s a general admission section but the police marked off the area all the way at the end to the right on your map. In 2017, we were in the section above (“Visitante”). I think some parts of the stadium were closed off in limiting the capacity due to Covid, so maybe that’s why we were put in the lower level.

If you end up having to buy tickets on your own, you should be fine anywhere in the stadium. I’d probably avoid the south side (where their ultras sit), though I suppose that could be an interesting experience.

You’ll need proof of vaccination to enter the stadium grounds. There was some confusion that my US CDC vaccination card didn’t have my passport number on it, but I was able to explain that and move through. I’d guess Canada has a more robust system, but make sure you bring your passport and any relevant vaccination documents you can (and photos of them as backups).

For getting to the stadium, I definitely recommend Uber or taxi. Both very cheap options (even in CAD :) ) and you can get out and walk when traffic backs up near the stadium. Haven’t tried the Metro but that looks like a long walk.
    After the game, the traffic was horrific, so I’d recommend waiting it out for an hour or two and then getting an Uber. We went to a bar near the stadium, which had music and I think a guy playing drums. Not sure what it’s called, but it’s directly next to “Taki Pollos” on the Main Street running north of the stadium. We went there before the game too.

Good luck!

OlympiquedeMarseille and wixson7 repped this.
  5. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member+

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I went in 2005 and 2017 and exclusively took public transit. Rush hour traffic is really bad in Panama City so the public bus took close to 2 hours from midtown Panama City (Calidonia) to the stadium in 2017 and I walked the last quarter to half mile. After the game, it was fine once the initial traffic logjam cleared, 20 minutes back to my hotel.

It looks like the Metro is complete to the airport now, which should be a big improvement. If I went again, I think I would try the walk from the Metro to the stadium, less than a mile.

soccer_23 and OlympiquedeMarseille repped this.