WCQ: Nov 17. Belgium vs. Serbia Montenegro [RESULT]

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Kansassoccer, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Kansassoccer

Kansassoccer Red Card

Aug 6, 2004
    Laguana Beach
    Currently, the Standings in group 7 are
    Gp. Pts.
    Serbia 3 7
    Lituania 3 5
    Spain 3 5
    Bosnia 2 2
    Belgium 2 1
    San Marino 3 0
    Belgium has a pivotal game agaisnt Serbia and Montengro to see if they can get into a spot to at least challnege for a playoff, even though they do have a game in hand. Now I'm new to European qualifying but it does seem as though Belgium has a realistic chance to get to at least a playoff berth. Who do you guys think the starting eleven will contain with the loss of Deflandre and Goor and who takes the captains band?

2. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    Re: WCQ: Nov 17. Belgium vs. Serbia Montenegro

Go Go Belgium

3. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM

I believe we've already wasted our chances for qualification against Lithuania. Luckily Spain also drawed against them so the result is not too bad after all. If we can win against S-M we indeed have a fair chance for qualification. This is what I think will be the starting 11, in a 4-4-2:

Goal: Erwin Lemmens (Espanyol)

with De Vlieger out, Peersman (Anderlecht) underachieving and Proto (La Louviere) still too unexperienced, I believe Antheunis will choose fully for Lemmens this time (the first time).

Right back: This was Deflandre's position and his absence leaves a gap. IMO the best right back we have is Hans Cornelis (Club Brugge), but he has little experience and never even had a call up. His contestor for the right back at Club Brugge, Olivier Deschacht has more experience, but didn't have too much play time lately. Stijn Vreven (Vitesse) is a story that has ended so I think the only reasonable option would be to put Anthony Van den Borre (Anderlecht) in. Minor point is that the guy is only 17.

central defenders: Here we have a lot of luxury. We can choose between Vincent Kompany (Anderlecht), Timmy Simons (Club Brugge), Philippe Clement (Club Brugge), Daniel Van Buyten (Hamburg) and Joos Valgaeren (Celtic). I think we can forget Glen De Boeck (Anderlecht). Simons, Kompany and Clement can also play in the midfield. i think the best choice would be to start with Van Buyten- Simons in the back and Kompany on the midfield. However, Kompany hasn't played on the midfield at the highest level yet, but it was his position during his youth years. His style resembles that of Vieira so it would be a nice option.
    I think Antheunis won't choose for a backline that consists of Van Buyten Kompany anymore (former difficulties) but that probably means leaving one of them out. Simons should be in the back and he matches equally good with Van Buyten and Kompany. Clement (bad period) and Valgaeren (lost credit after an injury) are second choices.

Left back: Choice between Olivier Deschacht (Anderlecht), Jelle Van Damme (Southampton) and Peter Van der Heyden (Club Brugge). Olivier Deschacht is underachieving for the moment, Van Damme has only recently earned his spot on the Southampton team. Van der Heyden is going through a good period but doesn't seem to be loved by Antheunis.

Right midfielder: choice between Mbo Mpenza (Anderlecht), Roberto Bisconti (Nice), Gregory Dufer (Caen), Tom De Mul (Ajax) and Jonathan Walasiak (Standard). Bisconti is the more defensive one, so I believe he isn't a player for right mid, Dufer is not playing too much and neither is Walasiak, who has lost his spot to Karel Geraerts at Standard. Tom De Mul is the only winger we have but he is still young and maybe too offensive for this match. Mbo Mpenza is going crazy from the position changes he has to make each week in his club, but based on his experience, he is the best candidate for the job. Also Gaetan Englebert (Club Brugge) should be able to play on this position. He might just have the iron lungs we will need for this match.

Centre midfielders: choice between Simons (Club Brugge), Clement (Club Brugge), Bassegio (Anderlecht), Englebert (Club Brugge), Stefaan Tanghe (FC Utrecht) and Koen Daerden (RC Genk). Daerden is rather a player for the left mid position, Simons will probably be in defense, Bassegio is playing bad lately, Englebert could be a better option for right mid so the obvious choices would be Clement and Tanghe, who gets a lot of praise at Utrecht but is underestimated in Belgium. Let's hope Stanley Aboorah has his breakthrough at Ajax soon.

Left midfielder: Goor's position, choice between Daerden (RC Genk) and Huysegems (AZ). I believe Huysegems is playing more as a striker lately but he is also a player who can play LM. Whatever choice Antheunis will make, these two players won't disappoint him. They are young, hungry and talented.

Strikers: Emile Mpenza (Hamburg) isn't likely to return which is a pity because he filled a gap. Pieroni (Auxerre) isn't playing much, Sonck (Ajax) should be a fixed value but his head is full of doubts, Buffel isn't playing too much at Feyenoord, Huysegems is having a good season, but has little experience at international level, Mbo Mpenza is better as a RM, IMO. All this seems rather blurry and Antheunis should start worrying. A good choice would be to keep Kevin Vanden Bergh (RC Genk) as a supersub.

4. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--

I assume you guys are going to start Buffel and Sonck up front. Or because they aren't doing much in de Eredivisie will that cause them to sit?

5. Kansassoccer

Kansassoccer Red Card

Aug 6, 2004
    Laguana Beach

Tomo, I really haven't seen Bassegio play but isn't he one of Belgium's most talented players? Would they really put him on the bench even though he has been such a valuable contributor in the past? Also over the past couple years who has been the best striker for the national squad?

6. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey guys don't forget to put the [R] in the titles of the threads.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

That's a decent analysis. Joris Van Hout might be another for the central midfield position. I would put Huysegems and Buffel up front. Buffel doesn't get much playing time at Feyenoord, but he won't dissapoint.

8. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM

Bassegio is talented, but he can't bring it up to play every match at his best. I don't believe Antheunis will start him; he's not the man to turn the tables in rough times. Best striker for the national team in the last 5 years must have been Marc Wilmots. Also Emile Mpenza has been usefull; he will be returning for the match against S-M.

9. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM

Looking back now, I would put Huysegems and Emile Mpenza up front. They seem very complementary. I don't know how Van Hout is doing but I didn't like the guy at KV Mechelen and at Anderlecht. I believe Antheunis shares my opinion. I think I forget Dheedene for the left back.