WCQ: January 27th, 2022 - Home vs El Salvador (Columbus, OH)

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by wixson7, Oct 10, 2021.

1. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ------------
    I was there, it was epic. The day before was warm and clear and my brother and I drove all around looking at stadiums and downtown etc. Morning of game we knew weather was coming, but I am not sure anybody expected that kind of snow. What the field crew did before and during the game was amazing to let the game finish. Will be really interesting to see what weather shows up in Columbus and Minny. Fingers crossed. AND not just for the weather, but Covid issues as well.:unsure:

Chesco United repped this.
  2. mnsportsgeek

mnsportsgeek Member

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Jan 12, 2022
    USSoccer.com lists start time as 7pm est.

marianelah repped this.
  3. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had kept seeing 330pm PT, 630 ET...so I wonder how this works with basketball on TV and the hockey game down the street at the same time :eek:

4. mnsportsgeek

mnsportsgeek Member

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Jan 12, 2022
    Guessing one of the games gets bumped to ESPN2. If it’s soccer then the Twitter vultures will surely complain about being on channel 203 instead of 202.

5. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member+

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #55 Eddie Stiel, Jan 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    Yes, I saw that listing on Monday. MLS changed its site accordingly. The ESPN sites still show 9 PM ET. They are probably slow to adjust. The US Soccer Account Manager is still TBD.

The US Soccer schedule page also switched the network from ESPN to ESPN2. The TV slot was almost definitely the reason for the change/delay in announcing a game time.

The hockey game down the street is basically irrelevant because it is not on a ESPN network. Of course, it will impact parking, hotel availability, restaurant/bar capacity.....

I like this start time (same as the Costa Rica match in October) because it allows me to get back to the airport and follow my cheap ass method of sleeping there and getting on an early AM return flight home. Just in case, I have a hotel reservation with free cancellation and have been researching switching to a later flight.

PabloSanDiego and wixson7 repped this.
  6. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Death, taxes, and you sleeping at airports. :)

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what currently I see on my U-Verse guide:

Women's NCAA basketball (UConn) on ESPN at 7.
    Men's NCAA basketball (Ohio State) on ESPN at 7.
    USA Soccer on ESPN at 9pm. Oddly enough, it's a 2.5 hour time slot. Kickoff could be at 9:15 or 9:20 and still have 5-10 minutes for basketball to run over. (People will still complain, not realizing that it's a standard thing for all TV networks. This also means that when soccer games run over, they're not going to local news at the third minute of extra time. They stick with it until after the seventh round of kicks.)

UniMas has USA soccer at 7pm.
    Universo has Mexico soccer at 7pm.

ESPNU has college basketball (unknown teams) at 7pm.

It's entirely possible that we see this at 7pm ET:
    UConn women on ESPN/ESPNU.
    OSU basketball on ESPN/ESPNU
    USA Soccer on ESPN2.

As far as the hockey game? It doesn't matter to US fans in attendance. Parking spots are for sale now. Get there early while hockey fans are still at work and someone needs to tell me what the issue is because I'm not sure.

Unless a bunch of soccer fans decide to miss the day of fun and arrive after 5pm.

8. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member+

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    ESPN Press Room has updated the game's timeslot to 6:30 PM to 9 PM ET on ESPN2.

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

More time to pregame tho.

10. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So pregame 630-7 and game 7-9

11. mnsportsgeek

mnsportsgeek Member

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Jan 12, 2022
    Ya that lines up with Ussoccer.com. 30 minute pregame built in to the broadcast.

12. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And word of warning to anyone traveling in from “Northern” areas. Columbus is one of the most over-reactive, panic-stricken cities if there is even the slightest chance of flurries.

13. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wixson7, Kryptonite and Hamburgler03 repped this.
  14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also:

Bring a mask, as there's a health order for all public indoor places such as bars/restaurants/stadium restrooms, etc.

15. mnsportsgeek

mnsportsgeek Member

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Jan 12, 2022
    Looks like that polar vortex is holding off according to the 10 day forecast. About 20 degrees in Columbus. Hopefully it holds off 5 extra days to get through the St. Paul game too.

wixson7 repped this.
  16. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Washington, DC
    My son and I ended up with tickets for the El Salvador game, so we have two extras if anyone needs tickets. The weather looks like we won’t have a deep freeze. Looking forward to seeing the new stadium in Columbus and a pro US crowd.

17. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know where the "March to the Match" will start , the time and route? American Outlaws site is not too clear on that and coming from out of state want to know. Follow the same route as the Crew games etc?
    Thanks to anyone who can clarify. I am staying at the Marriott downtown and don't want to do any excessive walking in the cold !:laugh:

18. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the march always starts at the pre-match location, in this case Brothers Bar & Grill at 477 Park St. The march start time is usually specifically on the AO event page but I don't see it there. It does say "The march will start about one hour prior to Kickoff." but from my experience they start a bit earlier than that. If you're at the pre-match get together the info on the start time and gathering point spreads around, it's impossible to miss it.

As for the route, I've never seen that posted but if you put the locations into Google Maps it looks like there's a couple of possibilities to start, but the end part looks pretty clear.

Do you plan to skip the pre-match and try to join the march en route?

19. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014
    0DFE8ED6-6611-4E9C-95F5-9CA6D2906E07.jpeg

Sounds like due south past the hockey arena (and the Sammers bar). And then west to the stadium. Should be some confused hockey fans out there :)

PabloSanDiego repped this.
  20. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice posting that, didn't think to look at the local chapter. 5PM start (2 hours prior to kickoff) makes way more sense, that's more in line with what I'm used to.

Looking at where AO's event web site says 1 hour that's on every game, they really need to remove that from the template. The only time it would be that close might be those times we had the tailgater in the parking lot and had like a 10 minute walk, but even then I think they start earlier than an hour prior. The Columbus march will be a lot bigger too so it has to earlier just to get everyone into the stadium on time and of course time to grab a beer or two before kickoff.

TBH I don't give it that much thought as I'm at the pre-match bar or tailgater well before the march starts.

21. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for responding. I see the other posts below also. I don't have a car planned for and judge on weather.
    My flight this morning was canceled, so I
    have to hope tomorrow's as booked will go.. I had actually thought of doing hockey game the night before and simply get to soccer stuff early on game day.
    I have done alot of 2 sports events before.

22. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Safe travels to all coming into Columbus over the next few days. Had some snow yesterday. Tomorrow is supposed to be very cold. Gameday though generally is looking ok.

canammj repped this.
  23. Revs09

Revs09 Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Can kids attend the sams club pregame at whistle and keg? Any recommendations for a pregame meal thats family friendly?

blech and wixson7 repped this.
  24. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    That whole area is very kid friendly. Pregame at both locations and the match in, all will be great for kids.

25. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member+

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's not too bad here in Columbus. I am wearing a bunch of layers and walked fairly comfortably from downtown to the Northside Library Branch, about two miles.