PBP: WCQ: Finland vs. Germany [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Projekt4, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Since no one else steps forward to open this thread...this one will be on Wednesday, 10th September in Helsinki. Kick-off at 7.35pm German local time.

I predict a 2-0 win for Germany. A 1-1 sounds quite plausible, though.

2. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: WCQ: Finland vs. Germany

not that its gonna be easy but everything than a win would be a disappointment.

Im curious if Löw will still start Klose and Fritz.

Trochowski on the other hand seems to have established himself in the first eleven.
    I still see Marin there in the long run but in the current form at least i dont need to worry about Trochowski.

3. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

And after a year Marin starts to totally outplay Trochowski, will Loew have the guts to start Marin or just pick his favorites like he has done the past 6 months? I'm curios to see this unravel.

4. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

He will pick fritz's brother.

5. hackespitze123

Jul 24, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Both Marin and Trochowski can play on the right also, although the latter is more effective on the left. I'd like to see Marin tested on the right, I can see him doing well there also.

It's all about having options. Trochowski is a very talented player, and it's good to see that he finally lives up to his potential. It's only positive for Germany to have numerous quality players to choose from.

6. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

i didnt see anything special from trochowski against liechtenstein. He was solid

7. hackespitze123

Jul 24, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

His assist for the first goal was very good, his understanding and interplay with Podolski and Lahm was excellent. It was as if they had been playing together for ages. He had a couple of excellent runs and passes.

Liechtenstein are not the benchmark, but VDV's abscence at HSV has definitely given him a boost. Nobody doubted his great talent, just his attitude and ambition. It looks like he finally got on the right track.

8. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I'll take your word

On the stream I was watching I couldnt tell if it was trochowski or hitzlsperger who assisted the first goal :D

9. hackespitze123

Jul 24, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  10. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

It was a good performance by him no doubt, but I doubt good teams will give him that much space. He seems like a good alternative, but not a world beater, which is what I get Schweinsteiger can do as he's shown and Marin once he matures a bit more. Trochowski from what he has shown very recently, could have well been useful with his current form in Euro... I thought his interplay was ok but not as good as it can be. Any winger will look good with Lahm unless you are an idiot, because he is very intelligent and good passer. I think it can get much better with more game time with each other, however I also want Marin to play more so he can get integrated into the team more.

11. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think he will. Klose is the captain in Ballack and Frings's absence and one of the veterans on the team. And Fritz will start also because given the last opponent there really was no chance of him screwing up.

As far as Trochowski is concerned, it seems like he is putting all the expectations out of his head and just working hard to establish a place on the NT which is exactly the right attitude to have.

12. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm pretty sure we'll see the exact same team again, except perhaps with Hinkel instead of Fritz.

Jansen and Gomez should be the obvious solutions to the Fritz/Klose problem, but both are in dreadful form at the moment.

13. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Personally I would like to see Helmes replace Klose. He is in the best form of any German striker at the moment. The types of off-the-ball runs that he makes would be devastating when combined with Marin’s passing style. Helmes likes to ghost in behind a defender and beat the offside trap, which if you watch BMG play is exactly the type of play that Rob Friend makes (only Helmes is much better). A player like that would simply thrive with Marin in midfield, because he is always looking to make those dangerous diagonal balls into the space behind the defense.

14. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Are you really talking about Friend, and not Neuville? Sorry, your description doesn't fit at all.

15. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just an observation from watchin BMG three matches this season. Neuville has been injured so I used Friend as a recent example instead.

16. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I keep saying it, but helmes will be the best german striker in 2 years if not earlier. He has got the comfortableness in a DFB shirt that gomez still doesn't have

17. hackespitze123

Jul 24, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ABK, anyone but Klose (in this form). Unfortunately, Löw does not see it that way, and has guaranteed him a starting place against Finland...

http://www.bild.de/BILD/sport/fussb...loew/stammplatz-garantie-fuer-miro-klose.html

I seriously hope that this won't backfire, and cost us valuable points in the qualification. Our group is not exactly one of the easiest, and Finland away won't be a walk in the park. Quite a risk by Löw, because with Klose in this form, we effectively play with 10 men. Hopefully, he'll find some form soon, it's about time.

18. Wastl

Wastl New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Hamburg, Germany
    If by confortable you mean not being able to hit the goal from three feet away, than yes, I agree ;)

He looks better than Gomez in Germany games, but his output is worse.

I really can't see Helmes being Germany's best forward anytime soon. Podolski is better and I don't expect that to change. Klose before his slump was easily the best forward we had, and should he regain his form Helmes won't be near him. Same is true for Gomez as well. If any of the forwards has the ability to top Klose and Podolski, it's Gomez.

Depending on whether Klose gains his form, I'd put Helmes either as third or fourth best forward in the future, not counting any up-coming prospects.

19. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What is Loew thinking? I hope we see either Gomez or Helmes for at least 30 minutes in the match.

I wouldn't be surprised if Helmes is top scorer in the Bundesliga this season.

I'm sure squidward likes Helmes (more than Gomez) for the same reason as me. Helmes has vison; IE he sees gaps where runs need to be made and makes them with excellent timing. He relies on intelligence and anticipation to get into dangerous scoring situations. I hope Loew gives him a real chance leading up to the euros, because he has the potential to be great.

Gomez relies 100% on physical superiority to get past defenders. Once he begins to lose his speed advantage he will become an average striker again.

20. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    it's a bit of a punt but i think he has more talent than the others you mentioned and looks at home in the shirt. One goal and he will be on his way and he seems to fit the team unlike gomez who sometimes looks like he is "forced"

21. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yeah, helmes seems fluid and just seems more at ease and looks better on the ball too. Just wait till he scores one goal and i think he will be on his way.

22. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I am crying for Trochowski, Marin and Schweini start at the same time. Doubt that will happen but i am crying for it. As an experiment or whatever.

Tochowski, Marin n Schweini in the midfield.........i think will be the most creative, mobile, agile n energetic midfield combo we have. Either Hitz or Rolfes as the DM.........it doesnt make a huge differnce to me.

with such a creative midfield..........a responsive forward like Helmes can be very effective with a right tactic. obviously we have Gomez too( if in form)..........but he is so much better at Stuttgart than for the NT.

My ideal lineup for this game:

Enke---Westermann, Tasci, Metzelder, Lahm---Marin, Schweini, Rolfes, Trochowski----Helmes, Podolski

23. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    gotta agree with that.

the two koeln boys up front together might work well already

24. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004