WCQ 2022 - Colombia vs. Venezuela (Oct 9 2020)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by ryu79, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Yeah, taking the peddle off the gas in the 2nd was the right move.

Even still, I'm worried about depth against Chile. We literally have to play the exact same team. Only guy I might replace is Lerma, but the Chile match is perfect for his style. He shouldn't have played 90 today.

Morelos out wide was, as expected, no good. Fabra is not in his best physical shape either. If we're not winning by minute 65, when Muriel and James are likely to need a sub, we're kinda f'd...

villus repped this.
  2. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We'll be okay dude. Even tho we had our attacking players play into the second half, they realistically didn't really push themselves as much as they did in the first half; physically Muriel and James aren't going to need a sub even if they play strongly by minute 65.

3. lvbeto

lvbeto Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    about the only thing I can complain about (minor nit picking) is sometimes our defenders do some weak passes among themselves. Its like they are nervous, they don't want to make mistakes. A pressing team, like Chile, expect them to attack in these situations.

4. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    1314728845480689664 is not a valid tweet id

4 to 6 months

villus and HomietheClown repped this.
  5. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Wish him the best. Come back stronger than ever Arias!

sidspaceman, J-Mezzy and HomietheClown repped this.
  6. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Thinking on this further, with Medina and Mojica on the field and their inclinations we effectively play a 3-4-3 when we are in possession as often requested here and then drop back into 4-4-2 when defending. That can work for us when you have Barrios, Lerma and Mojica with the athleticism to play both ways.

--------------- Vargas------------
    ----Medina---Mina----Sanchez
    C4-------Barrios---Lerma---Mojica
    ----James----Zapata---Muriel

This would explain why CQ didn't call more wide midfielders and is theoretically a very efficient use of where we have talent.

crzdcolombian repped this.
  7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Could be partially the reason.

But I think the main reason is still that he just does not trust most of the offensive guys in Colombia.
    And a guy like Roger is not playing much in Mexico, Villa has major legal issues, etc.

Diaz would be on this team 100% if it were not for pandemic protocol issues.

Azucarero repped this.
  8. corazonazul

corazonazul Member

Jun 29, 2007
    canada
    Buenas muchachos, alguien sabe donde puedo descargar el partido ?

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    If you go to YouTube and search "Colombia 3-0 Venezuela Partido Completo en HD - Eliminatorias Qatar 2022" you will find something pretty good. It is not the whole entire game but it is close.

corazonazul repped this.
  10. corazonazul

corazonazul Member

Jun 29, 2007
    canada
    Que chimba, gracias. Antes era más fácil descargar partidos

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Beware it freezed up in a few moments. Like the first goal.

12. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No he escuchado a alguien decir "que chimba" en anos. GRACIAS.

pepinointer, dapip and HomietheClown repped this.
  13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    [emoji47]

Hold the n a little and the ñ will pop up...

Or alt-164 in a pc...

Doogs and HomietheClown repped this.
  14. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    This actually makes sense and could be why he initially didn't call Arias, if he had planned to do something like this. This formation in possession really looked like a 3-4-1-2 with James sitting behind the strikers. It's actually the formation that Atalanta play and one that obviously fits Zapata and Muriel and Mojica/Cuadrado perfectly. Not sure why he then started Arias though, might have not liked how it was going in training.

James basically looked to play there and link the midfield, I think if we can train on it this is a good idea, still think we'd want more wide forwards as an option to switch if needed but it makes sense.

15. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Teehee. I always find that funny...sorry.

dapip repped this.
  16. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Exactly. Arguably then Lucumi might be a better fit for a three man backfield, but it's clear CQ has a soft spot for Medina.

I like the idea of fitting the team to play to their strengths and building the game plan off of match ups. Rewatched the match last night and found that James looked more dangerous and found more space on the right where he plays for Everton (but as you say he has freedom to find the open spots in the opponent's zone).

The other thing I noticed is that Mojica and Lerma's lungs can be a huge asset. Lerma was able to press so high on Friday and then get back at into position with shocking ease. He was also smart with the tactical foul in the opponent's end preventing build up and not allowing them to get a rhythm. This could be useful against the chaotic Chilean approach.

Mojica won constantly on his flank and also defended well. If he can refine his cross this is a player grouping that can work for us. We need width for James and C4 to have to room to operate.

17. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I think the back 4 is solid for this type of formation, especially considering that Medina has played CB at times and can still operate well wide.