WCQ 2022 - Colombia vs Uruguay (Nov 11 2020)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Froboy69, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So with the aging squad and not so dominating results in the last few matches, Eduador's 4-2 trashing of the team makes Uruguay seem like a cakewalk.

However,

Undermining this team (or any team for that matter) in the qualifiers would be a big issue for us. I don't think I need to remind anyone just how the poor handling of our last match against Paraguay in the 2018 qualifiers was due to our cockiness. Uruguay is not Paraguay and they can do more damage to us if we assume that this will be an easy match.

Now locally it would be fresh off the start of the afternoon so blazing Barranquilla can benefit a home advantage for us to exploit. Considering how we handled Venezuela despite our inconsistency (in regards to our mentality) and this was at night, imagine what we could do during the day.

Now the list isn't out yet but I have heard today that Medina is already doing fieldwork and is seemingly close to being his normal self; we could really use him considering our situation with the RB position.

Any news on the other players that is relevant to this?

2. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    They beat us last time without Cavani and Suarez.... never a cake walk. this game is Barranquilla and them being babies trying to change the location and time of the game is super funny

hope for a 6-0 win or Rueda is still our best coach

hope to not have any funny business go down like it did with Chile since we will have a Argentina ref

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Uruguay is in a tough position.
    The pressure is on them to get some points because if they lose to us and lose to Brasil in this FIFA window they will be in deep trouble and a hole dug maybe too deep.

I think we can beat them. Maybe something like 2-1 in a very tough match. But if they score first we may be in trouble because they know how to close down shop defensively.
    If we score first they will feel more pressure and will push up only to allow our fantastic counter attacking players to get more space behind them. I think we could put up more than 2 goals if we score an early one and gain confidence.

It is going to be a fun one.

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Latest rumor is that Sebastian Villa may be called up.
    He has not played in a while and still has the stigma of his legal problems so it does not make much sense.
    But it may all just come down to CQ not trusting any other winger at this time.

5. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I hope that's just a bad bad rumor.

J-Mezzy and HomietheClown repped this.
  6. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Even when we have momentum, we don't perform well and/or get results in Uruguay, there I said it. This is never a 'fun' match to watch. Their playbook is so obvious and always works against us. Use physicality, aggression and mental toughness to battle thru the game. They are also very good at counter-attacking and still have a world class finisher with Suarez. I take the result v Ecuador with a grain of salt and would be ok with 1 point to take home. They will not be pushovers.

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It could be like many situations with players who are "blocked" that do not make the final list.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #8 HomietheClown, Nov 4, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    That is not always true.
    We kicked their arse in 2012. We kicked their arse in 2014. We kicked their arse in 2004.
    So it is not always the case.

But my gut feeling is it will be a street fight and we win a close one. The pressure is more on them than it is on us and we just have the better team with offensive players who are just on fire for the most part.

BTW the game is not in Uruguay. I misread your post initially.

9. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I thought we were playing in Montevideo! That's what I was referring to. At home, results have def been better although the 2-2 game in last WCQ epitomizes just how lethal they can be on counters. We were lucky to grab a point. Interestingtly enough, their defense which is usually a strong point looked vulnerable along with GK in both matches. Yes, we need all points at home.

10. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali

what did you end up using as your game feed during WCQ?

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes. Suarez absolutely abused Oscar Murillo last cycle and I also think Farid Diaz played poorly in that match at LB.
    Correct me if I am wrong but I do not think James played in that 2-2 match either so I take that one with a grain of salt too.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I Called up Dish and negotiated with them for a bunch of months off my bill and basically got the Venezuela game for free.

The Chile match I had to listen to on youtube radio feeds because I was at work. Then found a Chile replay on youtube the next day.

Furnaccio and kromekote repped this.
  13. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I don't recall James in the match but I remember the heavy downpour and of course Mina's hail mary goal.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Assuming all our firepower is healthy (God willing) I am probably the most confident going into this match than any other Uruguay match I have ever seen.

The form of Duvan , Muriel, James and Diaz just makes me super confident we can make their back line look as bad as when they played Ecuador.
    But I do know Uruguay will do some adjustments on their back line so it should be a hard fought match.

15. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I would add to it that having an in form Ospina is also a huge upgrade. With Mojica playing Champions and having played last round will also start to solidify that side. Now it's a matter of who he wants as a RB with Arias and Medina out. We are all wanting Munoz but I think this may prove to be a too offense-minded stance for CQ so I wouldnt be surprised if he goes to old reliable Tesillo.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #16 HomietheClown, Nov 6, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    Falcao is in doubt for these Qualifiers due to injury.
    Big opportunity for Santos Borre, Cordoba or Morelos to step up and and prove that they can be the main backup for Duvan.
    *Edit- Santos Borre may also not be available due to being in contact with someone with Corona.

17. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    How do you guys feel if Davison Sanchez plays right back?

18. MiLo4891

MiLo4891 Member

May 14, 2007
    FLL
    I think in a pinch sure but maybe play an actual right back would be better to allow Cuadrado to higher up where he's more useful and play Daniel Muñoz which last match played as a CB in a 3 man backline..

I think what will be bigger is should Luiz Díaz start on the left side and James on the right with Cuadrado trying to help create behind them.. That's probably going to be key

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Davinson to me is better at CB. We would weaken our CB pair starting another CB and he is just not good moving forward and recovering backward.
    Either Munoz or even Orejuela have to start at RB.

I love Diaz and his potential but there is no way I want to see him start instead of Muriel. (Not yet anyway. Maybe by the Copa America that may change.)

The chemistry between Mojica, Muriel and Duvan is way too valuable to break up.

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As mentioned by Pepino in the Cordoba thread he is now injured too.
    I do not know to what extent but he was immediately taken out.

We had an over abundance of #9s last FIFA match window and now we may have to call up just Duvan, Morelos and maybe Bacca.
    Crazy times.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Some in the media think that maybe Luis Javier Suarez or even Cucho will be given a chance now.

Suarez would make some sense because Queiroz mentioned him prior to the last set of qualifiers that he was keeping an eye on him. Not to mention Cucho does not play #9 but as we have seen in other situations CQ does not always callup like-for like in injury situations.

We shall find out tomorrow.

22. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    So the list comes out tomorrow? This is bizarrely late...

I think it's only a matter of time before Suarez is called, but I'd wait right now. He finally scored his first gol; let him continue gelling with the team.

While Cucho literally only scored one gol too, his mentality and energy has been great this season. Wouldn't mind if he's called.

HomietheClown repped this.
  23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It would be kinda funny if last set of qualifiers we had a bunch of #9s and almost no wingers and this time around had a bunch of wingers and just 1 pure target man (morelos to me is a #9 but not really a natural #9 within Queiroz's tactics.)

24. MiLo4891

MiLo4891 Member

May 14, 2007
    FLL
    I'd like to have Cucho get a call and play the waning minutes of a match...

But right Luis Díaz is too strong not to start at LW and it's likely James is the RW and without a doubt Duvan is the 9....

The key is to get Cuadrado as midfielder and not as a right back... That right back should be a strong defender so Cuadrado can go forward

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I just do not see Muriel being benched for Diaz. He played so well in Barranquilla the last time out and I expect him to play well against Uruguay too.

Cáceres will have problems no matter who it is though. Seems way past his prime and has problems tracking back against guys like Muriel or Diaz.