WCQ 2022 - Colombia vs Peru (January 28th)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Froboy69, Jan 17, 2022.

1. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    It's incredible to me that somehow, we still have a chance to make it. I would seriously consider changing out Rueda if he gets us thru but I just don't see this happening.

2. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Until Chara carelessly sent it into an overmatched area and gave the ball to Peru to head to the races...

3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The middle of the table teams have been very inconsistent, meaning that the threshold is lower this time. Even if we get points in Argentina, that will likely mean that we need to beat Bolivia and Venezuela.

Good luck doing that without scoring a goal.

4. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Honestly, if Rueda received a broken locker room to heal - he has done it more damage. Maybe the guys there are his boys and get along and he domesticated James to the point where he feels he has to roll over and let C4 rub his belly... But he's taken away all the futbol and decimated their confidence.

At this point, I think the only guy who hasn't experienced the taint is ironically the Buffalo. I don't think Morelos is that great, but I also haven't seen him play much in Scotland, and maybe he comes in desperate to prove himself and take advantage of the carnage around him. Same with Alzate, who is much more balanced as a player than most of our 8s and 6s and I think we could develop if we tried. Are they better no? But they don't carry the baggage and that might be more important right now. Let them play their positions.

Also - Diaz is now our best player, if we can't create anything let him play up top free and just try to get him into one on ones rather than asking him to iso from the wing all the way to goal by himself.

5. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The broadcast on Fubo didn't have this angle.

I hope fans don't mistreat Borja as they have Duvan and Valoyes. Only way out of this is to support these guys and allocate opportunities to the hot hand until someone breaks the duck and alleviates the stress. Borja came back to the NT with such nice confidence last Spring, I hate that he and the power bottom have fallen into same malaise.

Reality is that Falcao's miss earlier in the game was just as bad by his standard as Borja's here (and the one Borja missed vs. Paraguay) and Duvan's - it's happening to all of them, and when that happens you have a bigger pattern to consider.

I see people calling Guajiro a pecho frio on posts about his Liverpool move - like they would have handled playing the most pressure filled qualifier knowing they needed to pass a medical two days later on a career making deal that could set him for life any better - and like the guy didn't carry this team and paper over Rueda's Iso-ball tactics by scoring wondergoals out of nothing all Summer.

It's lame.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  6. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    One more thing - I watched the ESPN segment where he said this last night and was infuriated.

This generation of players showed up well at two WCs where they advanced from the group stage and left every thing on the field.

For Tino Asprilla - probably our most gifted player ever, who absolutely crapped his pants at USA94 to question these dudes as incapable of handling the pressure of the shirt is the height of hypocrisy and short sightedness. "A mi nunca me paso" he had the nerve to say. C'mon man. Someone literally died. And yeah, context matters - and it does here too.

7. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You guys see this?

8. colombianballa91

Jul 2, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Those people spent money to go to a game and saw a terrible product. They have every right to be upset & btw this crap happens everywhere..I understand James is frustrated but he seriously needs to grow up.

Froboy69, villus and Furnaccio repped this.
  9. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    wish he had that leadership/voice on the field. How was it that not ONE guy would step up and get in the ref's ear? Peru must have wasted at least 20 minutes of play, faking just about every injury. And no one said a peep.

10. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    James is emotional after giving his all for 97 minutes and then having cans thrown at him by his own countrymen. Most people here would react the same way. It's unfortunate that these days there is no room for catharsis as everything you say gets picked up as this did. If he'd said something like that to a microphone or on social I'd disagree - but screaming something in frustration to himself as he runs into the locker room is a tough thing to hold against a guy.

Fans have every right to express displeasure but throwing stuff at your own players is just embarrassing behavior. What if, god forbid, you randomly hurt one of them and they couldn't play the next game?

This whole tendency to throw projectiles on the pitch is wrong and just because it happens in lots of places and isn't exclusive to Colombia, doesn't make it right.

dapip and J-Mezzy repped this.
  11. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Bro, c'mon. Him and Falcao were all over the ref EVERY time a Peruvian player went down. To the point that the ref started having them stretchered off the field when they did it so they would miss a few minutes until being allowed back on to disincentivize it.

This was maybe the only area where I felt we HAD learned something vs the past couple matches...

12. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Huh, they were talking to the ref non stop every chance. It doesn't matter past a point anyways, you keep talking to the ref and he gets annoyed and give you less time added, fouls etc.

James has done dumb shit all the time, but he gave it everything he had last game, worked his ass off and was doing everything in his power to get Colombia a win.

ryu79 and J-Mezzy repped this.
  13. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I just didn't see it. It was a countless waste of the clock and I don't think they did enough. Nonetheless, James is not the solution for this team. I can understand if there were preplanned plays every time he grabbed the ball but there really wasn't. I didn't see anything extraordinary enough to warrant a starting spot. I'm not blaming yesterday's loss on him or any specific player. This is on Rueda and it's frustrating to watch.

14. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

James was among if not the best player yesterday

15. ColombianKilla

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No player is a solution when it is a coaching problem

Froboy69, villus, Furnaccio and 3 others repped this.
  16. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I made the trip specifically to watch this game

and we lost

yet I didn’t whistle

I’m no fair weathered fan

dapip and ryu79 repped this.
  17. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I hope you eat real well, see people you love and have a great time otherwise to compensate for the pain inflicted yesterday.

Furnaccio, dapip and J-Mezzy repped this.
  18. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

But seriously

yesterday’s team did not deserve to be booed. They played hard. Failed tactics and along poor luck led to the result, but I only understand booing poor effort. That was not the case yesterday

dapip repped this.
  19. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    We don't have Messi or Salah to call on, James not be at his peak but he's far and away the best we have and we are better with him on the field and it's not particularly close. He created 9 chances yesterday and was dictating play all game, something we haven't had except for Quintero and although Quintero helps James is just better.

20. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Yeah agree totally, the tactics weren't good and they didn't win but every player played with heart and gave their all, can't boo that effort even if they couldn't put the ball int he net.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  21. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #171 ryu79, Jan 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    And he still doesn't look funny match fit to me. If we were to make the WC by some miracle and had time to get him ready in camp we absolutely should.

I'd argue Lucho should become that player and that whoever is coaching us next should be setting up to create space and movement for him to work. He was so effective playing with James early under Quieroz in that 4 3 3...

J-Mezzy and dapip repped this.
  22. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  23. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Dude takes shit super super personal. Hopefully that fire drives him to get better next game.

Dude had some great vision and passes that Falcao just couldn't score. But James 1st touch, stamina, corners and free kicks were fking pathetic ! We should have subed James, Cuadrado, Mojica and Falcao at half time

For Asprilla to say shit to our 2nd or 3rd highest scorer ever (who is a MF) and a golden boot winner at a WC..... to call him a Pecho trio is hilarious. James has more goals than the 90s generation combined. Same for Falcao.

Furnaccio and J-Mezzy repped this.
  24. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Diaz was keyed on a lot that game, he was pushed further and further back to receive the ball and they defended with double coverage non stop, Rueda's tactics were obvious and predictable the whole time he's been here and the opposition adjusted while we stayed the same. Diaz is our best impact player right now, also Muriel was previously but Rueda has no idea how to use them, all that Diaz did in the Copa was basically down to his invidivual brilliance, there is almost barely any plan to get him on the ball in the right areas or for anyone else for that matter, Pekerman for all his faults was always thinking tactically and how to counteract and adapt within the chess game, Rueda is playing checkers, in the dark after drinking all night.

Furnaccio repped this.
  25. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    You guys threw away four years with that late goal. Just like that. Unbelivable.
    Even as a neutral I'm shocked.

J-Mezzy repped this.