WCQ 2022 - Colombia vs Argentina (June 8th 2021)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by HomietheClown, Jun 4, 2021.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It was nice to beat up on Peru but this game will be a better measuring stick (duh).
    Let's see how it goes down.
    I am very excited to see such a beautiful game.
    Add in the fact there will be some people in the stands and it gets my blood pumping even more.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Obviously no Munoz for this game due to the strange red he got just seconds into his debut in Yellow.

We do get a reinforcement in Lerma though so he could play RB if (God forbid) something happens to Medina.

It will be interesting to see also if Cardona will be integrated into this game as a Sub.

3. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Big step up in competition here but we can beat them. Christ, we did it under Quieroz!

I'd go with:

------------------- Ospina ----------------------
    Medina - Mina - Sanchez - Moreno
    C4 ------ Barrios - Cuellar ----- Diaz
    ------------ Muriel - Duvan ------------------

But would really challenge Diaz in practice the next few days. He needs to be able to control the damn ball first time or the Argentines will eat him alive - he just didn't have the confidence to dribble anyone last night. If he continues to struggle, I'd start Cardona there though I know that's a very different shape (if need be Muriel can add width on left wing as he does on Atalanta). Lucho can be so effective when he feels comfortable taking on his marker so I hope he can sharpen form for Tuesday.

kromekote repped this.
  4. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I say 1-1. But tempted to say Argie win

5. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ha! You are admirably consistent but I like the enthusiasm on the tie, D!

6. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Colombia 6-0 Argentina

fk Messi and these diving bitches

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    My hot take is a Crzd special.

I think we are more likely to see Lerma than Barrios.
    He seems to control the ball better in the offensive end, helps attack more and can put shots on goal with his feet and head.
    He also played well last time we beat Argentina, assisting Duvan.

BUT in that same game Barrios did play like a defensive star with a lot of hustle and grit so... ... who knows.

I would like to see Yairo start but not sure it will happen. We may be stuck with Tesillo until somebody better magically shows up later on in the qualifying cycle.

8. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I like this lineup a lot, we have to press and harass them and then utilize the counter. Barrios and Cuellar can sit deep and shield the areas that Messi is gonna want to drift in and out of and when we recover the ball we utilize our attacking 4 on the break like we did in Copa America. The Peru game was pretty chill and Argentina had to battle for a point so hopefully playing in Barrinquila will exhaust Argentina and we can get a result.

I'm not gonna worry too much either way, its early and hopefully we play well and we get the bounces our way, getting the 3 points against Peru and clawing back some of the GD is key and we can build on it with a good performance.

ryu79 repped this.
  9. krass

krass Member+

Aug 18, 2008
  10. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Best talent in the league. He can do anything: score from range, score in the area, dribble out of tight spaces, burst past defenders, spot holes in the defense, dink the ball over the top, and cause constant danger with dead balls. Most of all, the kid has balls.

I highly doubt he'll get any minutes against Argentina, but this call up will give him the necessary bump to make a good move this summer. If the stars align, and he makes a Marlos Moreno type of debut, we might see him in one of the top European leagues next season.

kromekote, sidspaceman and krass repped this.
  11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Ironically I think Rueda will use him exactly the same way he used Marlos at Nacional.

True, more than likely he might not play against Argentina but you never know. With 5 Subs and with him having attributes that are different than anyone in camp right now he has a chance if he impresses the next couple days in training.

kromekote, sidspaceman and krass repped this.
  12. krass

krass Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    He has everything to become the next Colombian star. He may get some minutes vs Argentina depending on how the game is developing. I really wanna see him on the field on Tuesday at least as a sub closing the game.

sidspaceman and Azucarero repped this.
  13. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    If the game is tight, which I predict it will be, where we are not creating many chances, he could be an ideal sub.

Without James and Quintero, and with Cardona very out of form, Campaz is the biggest game changer on the bench. Muriel, Diaz, and Cuadrado will more than likely start.

I just don't get why he wasn't called earlier...

ryu79 and krass repped this.
  14. krass

krass Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Under Rueda's wing and playing next to our big players he should get enough confidence to develop his game. And imagine the first time you play for your NT Messi is on the field as well, that must be motivation enough.

Azucarero repped this.
  15. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Hope his debut is longer than Munoz :)

was he called for Munoz? Did he get sent home or is still training with the team?

16. Cruzifero

Cruzifero Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Nu Jeru
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Anyone know why we've been playing our home games at night? That completely defeats the purpose of playing in Barranquilla.

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #17 HomietheClown, Jun 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    Good question.
    Could just be a television thing having the big teams playing at night.

Some have pointed out around here that the extreme heat during the day seems to affect our players just as much as it does the other teams anyway so might as well play it during evening hours. Barranquilla in June is like walking on the surface of the sun even at night I hear.

18. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    idk can't be worse than playing in Miami

19. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Cartagena was Satans @sshole.... seriously hottest place I have ever been too

Bogota might have been the coldest because the altitude all the rain. Still got sun burned there.... so hate that place. 1st and only time that has ever happened to me

20. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    My bet on the Polla at the office was a 2-0 win by Colombia. I don't know why but I have good hopes for this game.

Three and Three repped this.
  21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is being reported that Morelos has tested negative for Covid and is rejoining the camp.

Not sure he will be available for tomorrow but he could be.
    At the very least will be available by Sunday.

22. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Early 2-0 lead for Colombia, and Argentina scarring the f' out of us the rest of the 70 mins.

Thats my prediction. But we'll win.

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I do not care if we win with an autogol or VAR intervention.
    Just win.

It has been way too long since we have beaten those guys in Barranquilla.

crzdcolombian repped this.
  24. krass

krass Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    In Caracol, they said Lerma for Cuellar and Cardona for Muriel as the only two changes in the starting 11 for tomorrow

HomietheClown repped this.
  25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Interesting
    I think we can move the ball better in midfield in attack with a lineup like that. And Muriel did look so gassed and drained (from the opening minute he was sweating profusely).

Caracol has been wrong before on their reporting of probable lineups though.