WC Viewing in France

Discussion in 'France' started by footballer7883, Apr 18, 2006.

1. footballer7883

footballer7883 New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    Seattle
    I am going to be in Nice and Paris during the Group Stage and I was wondering where an American rooting for the US can watch games in a friendly environment in those two cities. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Merci.

2. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    define "friendly"

3. footballer7883

Feb 16, 2004
    Seattle
    By friendly I mean a place where I can watch the US games against Italy and the Czechs with a few of my friends without being chased out of the bar or wherever I am if I have a USMNT scarf or jersey on.

Rivalry/ trash talking etc. is great as long as I can watch and cheer without fear of violence or unwarranted harrassment. At least the US won't be playing France while I'm there.

4. Herm

Herm New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Bordeaux, France
    I think you won't have any problems to find a place to watch these matchs, especially in Paris. Soccer matchs are often retransmitted in café, bars or pub. You can ask the tourist office, they should know.

If you plan to come to Bordeaux, i could give you some pubs' adress with english speaking people but i don't know for Paris and Nice. But i'm sure you'll find.

5. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Unless you decide to wear a NF scarf and go to Belleville to watch the game, the chances of you being chased out of the bar is highly unlikely.

I've watched England games in Parisian bars before, with not one spot of bother. Any trouble will be down to some dickheads that have nothing to do with football.

6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    well, there's an american bar near the palais garnier called harry's; they may not be a bigscreen kind of place but it'll be a good start.

there's an english run brewpub in st.michel called the frog & rosbif....

can't help you for nice, the very word gives me hives.

in lyon the albion and the st. james are going to show all matches concerning anything remotely speaking english. the down under will to, but you'd have to associate with antipodeans, make sure to wear vinyl clothes.

anyway, for the italy match, the french will be rooting for the USA! there's something about italy losing that brings back fond memories... and trashtalking and harrassment is for losers, the french have class :cool:

7. footballer7883

Feb 16, 2004
    Seattle
    Thans guys! Sounds like I won't have too many problems. Can't wait till June!!

8. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia