Wc, U17 Germany-usa

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by bltleo, Aug 30, 2007.

1. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    fire me as a coach...i´m good motivator:)

2. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've yet to see a team play "good" soccer at this level so why are you guys bitching and moaning? At least we made it to the round of 16, where is Mexico?

Even Brasil looked lame, wtf do you want from teenagers? Germany always have some of the best youth teams and their academies, was it really a surprise to you that we lost or got "dominated" Germany's game is to be physical and play good positionally. I didn't see the game but I bet it wasn't very exciting, even from the German perspective.

I think we are improving and hopefully with the MLS teams starting youth clubs we can turn the corner, we'll see...my heart goes out to these kids who busted their asses off today to the apathetic elite of BS intelligensia who will never be happy with what the US does...:rolleyes:

3. sportscribe

sportscribe Member

Jul 2, 2007
    This team is absolutely incapable of scoring through open play; they have to rely on set pieces and throw-ins!

The team is quite poor and not even CLOSE to the level of Argentina, Spain, Ghana, Nigeria, England etc

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Brazil, Mexico, and Holland played wonderfully in the '05 tournament. Holland's 1-2-1-2 goal against us was a thing of beauty.

There are very nice teams at this level, to date we just have not been one of them.

5. robinho23

robinho23 New Member

Mar 23, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey y not "Firing's all around;)! While were at it, why don't we fire that jerk of a trainer who is cool to wear his hat the right way when he comes on the field...."Yeah! I agree"

6. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I think everyone got their hopes up after the Freddy Adu U-17 era. I wouldn't worry about it. Very few U-17 squads end up making the senior team. If you look at our pasts squads, only 2-3 players go on to make the senior team.

7. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey! At least the good thing about our Youth National Team is that we know we're better than this. At least we don't have the kind of team that makes us, the fans, say "Well, there we go again." everytime they play. So, the fact that we're absolutely capable of being a great National team is something that most others in the world would kill for!

8. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    please, that is just way below the belt, even for this board....

Like someone said previously, we WERE playing a MANager down all tourney...
    Clueless son of a gun...

9. WKU_Philthy

WKU_Philthy New Member

May 3, 2006
    If i'm not mistakened Harkes has an academy somewhere right? Why would he leave his academy for another (IMG)? Thats not going to happen! We need to lure Eddie Stewart away from Holland! Or tell Beckham while he is injured he has to help out the U-17's (since it looks like he will be injured a lot/not playing). That money can be put to some good use!

10. stevewhit0

stevewhit0 New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    It is more about the frustration of losing 3 out of 4 matches. No shame in getting beat by one of the best countries, but the way we played leaves a lot to be desired from our youth development.

11. robinho23

robinho23 New Member

Mar 23, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harkes is an assisant to Bruce Arena at NY red bull right now....but he use to coach a little for the dc united super y teams 2-3 years ago.

12. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're right about Harkes. However, he is currently the Asst. Coach of the New York Red Bulls and if he aspires to be a full manager, he may be tempted to take over either the U-17's or U-20's. It wouldn't be a bad first Managerial post. On the other hand, Earnie Stewart does sound like an interesting choice.

13. sportscribe

sportscribe Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Umm, Nigeria, England, Germany, Ghana, Argentina and Spain have all been playing "good" football. What in the hell are you talking about?

And keep consoling yourself with excuses thinking "we will be good one day" and "we are getting better". If anything this is a step backwards, and a bad look for the American youth system that spends so much money in these academies. It's not the result that matters- it's the way it happened. The team wasn't competetive at all. They were absolutely dominated. It's people like you who are content with the status quo that hinder the progression of the US by accepting poor results and wasted money.

My heart too goes out to the kids for being deceived that they were better than they actually were. This will undoubtedly demoralize some of them. These are 'kids' who are all on the verge of being professionals and they don't need to be coddled by soccer moms such as yourself. Really I could care less if we win or not, as long as we can look competitive doing so...

:)

14. WKU_Philthy

WKU_Philthy New Member

May 3, 2006
    Yup...they supposedly trained every week day for a good part of the day for two years! I honestly don't see any difference between any of those guys and players here at Javanon at that age level. Not saying Javanon is better, but the US team isn't dominating better!

The U-17's is there to identify potential and then mold it while at the same time giving it experience! It is a good idea just not that right coaches! Think about it this way.....most of the top hgihschool prospects in basketball do at somepoint go in to the NBA (the highest level in the world). All of those players on the US FIBA team were good in highschool and younger. You can asess talent at this age we just haven't found the ability to.

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Those are Sepp Herberger's quotes:
    "Der Ball ist rund“,
    "Das Spiel dauert neunzig Minuten“.

Herberger coached Germany from the 1936 until 1963, with a 6 years break from 1942-49 when the Germans had other things to do.

He was a Parteigenosse but is more remembered as a Casey Stengel'ish type, a World Cup'1954 winner.

16. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all know how good the players are, we just don't have good coaches. All I know is that we have the Talent and it's not blossoming to its full potential.....someone is to blame there and it's not the players themselves.

17. Deaf65

Deaf65 New Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Fairport, NY
    LOL, if you can teach them technical skills and tacitical awareness plus good managing skills in terms of player selection, substitutions, and formations then you have that damn job! Yes, I am that frustrated! I envy your German youth system because that is what USA need to look at in order to emulate them!

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    OK, those who watched the game, I have it on TIVO ... who acquitted themselves well today?

We must have had at least a couple of bright spots, guys who seemed as if they had the quality to play on the German squad. Let's talk some good news.

19. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    All I can think of are Lambo and Williams.

20. stevewhit0

stevewhit0 New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    Lambo was really the only one who rated well today IMHO. Williams was dangerous with his long throws, really the only major threat we had in the match.

21. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really disappointed that we didn't get to see NIMO play his game in this tournament.

22. Deaf65

Deaf65 New Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Fairport, NY
    Earnie is his name, not Eddie. I agree that he have a chance to be a good manager for USMNT at any level because of his long career in Holland.

23. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sukuta-Pasu !!!!:)
    just remember this name

I saw this guy to play many times in Leverkusen...he is talent..
    remember his name.

regards from BAyer Leverkusen fans!

24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've never seen Williams play badly. I've seen him struggle with his distribution at times, but every other aspect of his game has always been good to excellent. He is very consistent for a youth player. I like him as a prospect.

25. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toni Kroos. For us? No one except maybe Lambo. Williams was okay but he's likely going to need rotator cuff surgery, and will definitely need to pitch some simulated games before he can go on a rehab stint in double-A. He should be good for some bullpen work by next August.