(WC Qualifier) Germany vs. Faroe Islands (07/09/12) [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by ForeverRed, Sep 6, 2012.

1. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As a striker in this setup, you MUST be able to play with your back to goal. He can't do that. He needs to lay it off. He needs to be capable with both feet at minimum. Podolski can't do that. I can't understand why he is given time up front. Just for the sake of being in the squad I presume.

2. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Well, he has shown he can handle the position before. Perhaps if he were to get more than 15 minutes up front, he might be able to notch a goal or two.

3. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    This! Let's forget where a player is from originally. If they are here, they are here to help Die Mannschaft succeed...period.

4. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I am all for supporting podolski, after the 2010 WC i thought he was a fixture for the NT squad and supported him unconditionally. Since then he's scored like 2 or 3 goals, which is pathetic.

5. schwas

schwas Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit".......

The way you and few other here give your favourite players a pass while hammering others when they have a bad game or go through a bad period is laughable.

özil may have become a better plays for Madrid ( like I said i dont follow la liga) but he is not delivering top performances for the national team on regular bases like he used to........

nekkibasara, Matakos, Dage and 2 others repped this.
  6. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I thought he had a great game as well.

7. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Maybe because people have unrealistic and silly expectations of certain players.

Kais3r and Dhajj repped this.
  8. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think this may be the case. If Oezil does not play like Messi a few people seem disappointed simply because he has had some, dare I say it; "Messi" moments...

9. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Of course, thats the nature of the majority of football fans isn't it? Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

10. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    this what we are missing in the german thread.. a dumb ass real madrid fan..

[​IMG]

magic...

Minttunator, bayern15 and Dhajj repped this.
  11. Snakeater

Snakeater Member

Sep 21, 2005
    Oezil is brilliant, pure and simple. Anyone who doesn't see how he pulls the strings and has as an exquisite touch/feel for the ball as good as any other player on the planet, doesn't know skill.

Comments like "he hasn't replicated his form with the NT" or "he hasn't turned into our Iniesta yet" are rubbish. First off, sorry to break it to you, but the collective skill of the German national team is not the same as the Spanish Champions, not even close.

Secondly, what do you expect to see from Oezil each an every game? What are your expectations? Are you expecting to see a Maradona '86 each night out and have Oezil run through five or six players every ten minutes? Sorry but at the professional level that doesn't happen.

Messi is considered the best player on the planet. When you watch the highlight reels, he's done some ubelievable things in the last few years, scored amazing goals. But those are just 30 or 60 second highlights from a 90 minute game. He's not dominating like every minute. There's 22 guys out on the pitch, each fighting for the ball, it ain't easy.

Last, considering that they're playing the Feroe Islands. Do you really want Oezil to kill himself against a country that most of us couldn't find on a map? Having to play La Liga, the Champions League, League Cups, and help Germany qualify for the Rio de Janeiro. Oezil would be an idiot if he went to the wall in a game like this. Smart footballers know when to play hard (and you saw that from him against Italy).

The guy's a Fussball God, pure and simple. Enjoy him while he's playing for the National Team, because players like him don't come around very often.

the Snake

12. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    FR you are always the voice of reason around here :)

13. schwas

schwas Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was discussing his form since his move to Madrid, not this game.

Thats not the case. No one is expecting him to be Messi or Ronaldo, or be at his best every game but özil have had more than few poor games for the N.T lately to warrant this discussion.

14. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yea? Which ones? And what was the context? If you consider his performance against the Faroes poor then there is no sense in discussing any of this.

15. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    the problem isnt ozil,the problem is löw.

Obsidian repped this.
  16. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    the problem is the fans that are NEVER satisfied ...

SoccerFan4182 and Dhajj repped this.
  17. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Hey...we just want a trophy every decade or two...too much to ask?

Obsidian repped this.
  18. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It makes you look quite dumb when you assess Oezil and then admit you don't watch him for Madrid.

And your latter claim is simply wrong and in fact it's your lack of game comprehension that allows you to come up with these falsities.

Also, feel free to validate your point about player preference. The only one I've been consistently critical of is Podolski, who has been rubbish for nearly three years now. Given the importance that is placed on him by Loew, it's not hard to argue why it's so upsetting. For all the progress this team is making, there are explicit errors such as this that keep it from following through on eliminating said errors.

19. Obsidian

Obsidian Member

Apr 22, 2012
    near Munich
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    thank you for that post, seriously. You nailed it here. Can´t see why Özil gets blamed all the way since the EC.

20. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    but this is football... sometimes it sucks watching your team get eliminated after one or two terrible mistakes after playing beautiful football the entire tournament...
    whining and complaining about it wont just get you anywhere, but will ruin your love to football..
    some times you win, sometimes you lose.. sometimes you always lose... but there is one thing that you should never change and thats your loyalty to the team and believing in them that they will do it next tournament

21. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012

blind loyalty will bring you nowhere and the german standard should be to always win. anything else is just lowering your expectations to a level of a mediocre football nation and germany should always thrive to be the mercedes of football and not the lada. if the player material is not there because the football development in germany was missed,like from the mid 90s to mid 2000s then its much easier to accept your notion. thank god the dfb kicked in and we are seeing the fruits of their investements, but if the trainer aka mr low selects to play like a coward in the important games, instead of what makes the german team great,we fans must make noise,BECAUSE WE LOVE FUSSBALL.

Dhajj repped this.
  22. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I guess we agree to disagree :p

i am just happy that our boys play with all their heart and that new fantastic players are always coming to the squad. Playing beautiful football with speed and skills should never be gone unnoticed and the way Germany play is mostly because of loew and any new achievements (even if he wasnt the coach) will be credited to him for changing the way germany play the game.. I know a lot of you are so eager to win, but i still think our time will come and i think we are still in a VERY long transition... but our time will come, and we the fans going to forget everything loew has done..
    it just matter of time before we win the gold and those who are patients enough will see that day come

23. Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    bit of a paradox saying that oezil is amazing but people have unrealistic expectations, not gonna fight for anyone saying hes been poor cos thats their opinion but i'll say for myself his development has slowed and his moments of brilliance or man of the match performances are more sporadic than they were. the only thing on his side is although other talents are younger he is also still very young.

Raumdeuter repped this.
  24. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I watch Madrid every week, and yes - Ozil is not the same for the NT as he is for his club. But instead of Ronaldo on the left, he has podolski. Instead of Di Maria/Kaka on the right - he has Mueller and instead of benzema/higuain - he has gomez (brilliant but one dimensional) or klose (aging).

I would never for a second doubt Ozils brilliant, he's a genius, a maestro with the ball and his movement is unparalleled, even by David Silva. However, there are things he needs to improve, while his work ethic is very high, his fitness is not. While he has incredible vision, his ability to boss the ball of others, like Toni Kroos for example (who has made unbelievable development in that area) is kind of substandard. Again, just being objective - I have no doubt that at 24, he's still nowhere near his peak, but we need a top performing Ozil to win the WC for sure.

25. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Dude, the way he dismantled barcelona last season wasn't brilliant? That was pure genius. Best #10.