WC Official Argentina vs Mexico thread (r)

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by smd9, Jun 21, 2006.

1. ChivaCongelado

ChivaCongelado El Campeonísimo

Oct 25, 2004
    Brussels, Belgium
    Right after the game I called one of my best friends (Argentino como ustedes) to congratulate him, and I'll extend the same to you.

It was a great match, pity we had to meet.

Constructive criticism: you guys should stop depending so much on Riquelme, he's great, but it shows when he's neutralised.

2. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors

That is a great post, Vip! You are one of the very few people that I expect to read something intelligent from (even if we don't agree entirely) and I think I know why. Much like me, it seems like you record the games and go back and watch them a few times. Now, some may say that they don't have that kind of time on their hands but I believe if anyone is going to make all kinds of STRONG comments about the game and how people played, they should at least watch the game a 2nd time. I found what you had to say about Maxi interesting. For me, you score such an important, spectacular goal in extra time, you really don't need to do anything else and I call it a good game. But I really did not feel his presence much yesterday. Typically, he's one of those players that's a constant thorn in the opposition's side so you can't help but notice him. I get worried when I ask myself where he is. It could be that I just missed him yesterday. Now, I plan on watching the game again and I will look out for the points you made. Maybe I'll see it differently. I definitely respect how you back up your opinions with actual arguments and you seem to have a technically sound footballing mind. I'm curious as to what kind of experience you've had playing the game.

Going back and thinking about it, Heinze really had himself some pretty crucial lapses yesterday. For a player that I love so much, that was disappointing. Still that is no reason to crucify him cuz this man plays hard all the time and I have to give him the benefit of the doubt that he'll recover much better. Again, I ask that people who thought Scaloni played bad to give me some examples. He got undressed real bad towards the end of the match that led to a very dangerous situation. But at that point, the man must have been exhausted. Not an excuse but the team survived so I can live with that. Much like Burdisso did when he was thrown into the fire, this man I think put in a performance that he can't feel bad about. Nor should anyone else. To say that he didn't belong on that field is just sheer lunacy.

Again, Romy played a good game yesterday. The man distributed the ball beautifully and created golden chances. Had Valdanito made good on what you should have been a clear goal, we're talking about a whole different game. And the moron who calls his goal a high kick, I can't even dignify that with a response. Back to Romy. When you have that kind of a player on your team, it makes things so much easier on the defense and Pato. People don't understand why he plays at the pace he plays. He does because that gives him a chance to know everything that's going on on the field....thus his amazing vision...thus his great decision making. So you don't get a player that's taking unnecessary risks and leaving his defense open to many counters. Sorin can feel free to move up in attack. The RB knows he can push up a little and won't always be in a sprint back to defend. Ayala & Heinze can have time to get into proper position and dictate the defensive assignments. Pato doesn't have to be bombarded and can do his job and seldom have to make a spectacular save. That is not even talking about the way he giftwraps goal-scoring opportunities. By the way, on the disallowed goal, he was the one who found a very onside Aimar (though a lot of people have been saying it was Apache).

Vamos Albiceleste!!! You are a team in the true sense of the word and you make me proud.

3. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Take it easy on Heinze guys, think of hat is being asked of him!!:eek: He has been injured for a loooooong time, comes back to play a few games at a lower level, then jumps into the world cup meets a good Mexico team. I think it was a lot to ask, and maybe just maybe Milito should get the nod the next match over him. I do not however for one minute put any blame on Heinze, he is rusty at this level and yesterday it showed. Scaloni was ok, made a few mistakes but came into to the attack rather well, this is more than I could ever say about Colocinni. I think the first 45 minutes were tense and Mexico did indeed play better, in the second half and from then on I think our class showed. Great game all around though, but again a few mistakes that need to be addressed. Heinze arguably should have been given a red card, Marquez was a brute too:rolleyes: . What really pisses me off to this point is how many bad offside calls we have got in this tourney and that two clear goals, one against the Ivory coast and now one against Mexico have not been awarded:( .

4. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    also, crespo had a perfectly good goal disallowed against s'n'm.

the poster who said mascherano came into his own only once cuchu went off is spot on.

mascherano sat in front of the back four and suddenly became the orchestrator and destroyer extraordinaire.

the balance of this team will be improved when lucho comes back, altho cuchu is a more-than-able deputy, lucho also takes the toll off roman a bit more, because of his creative attributes.

for me, lucho is a better link between masche and romy.

having said that, cuchu created two chances for crespo last night, both in the first half, with good thru balls.

5. roro10

roro10 Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It hurts, but congratulations guys. It was a great game, but in the end you guys played better.

6. hoss23

hoss23 Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Any word on when Lucho will be back?

7. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román

He is ready

I think the line-up for the bext game will be like the initial against S&M, with Lucho-Masche-Maxi-Riquelme in the midfield.

8. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    saviola should seat out on the next game...give messi or cruz the chance
    Messi to drive them crazy
    or Cruz for the size...I am not sure what will be better to that kind of game, but saviola was (To ME) the missing link vs mexicans.

9. El Mandrake

El Mandrake Member

Mar 21, 2004
    en la popu
    you are right efern.....we need those teves' and messis' games out there el conejo era un poca invisible......pero aguante argentina

10. elciclon

elciclon New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    BOEDO
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    i think that saviola was not playing well cause he wasnt getting the ball, he didnt have any space on that side and was hard for him to do anything with it. the germany game will be completly different i think that if we play smart and dont get beaten physicaly,we can beat them. we cant put both cruz and crespo at the same time, look at what happend when you put two outside strikers. they're the same thing in order for them to play together you would have to change up the midfield.

11. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Saviola had a one-on-one against Sanchez and could not score. If its Messi or Tevez with that opportunity I don't see the same result.

If I were an argentine fan I would prefer to see Tevez and Messi start and
    Scoloni on a flight home. The Messi/Tevez tandem to me, as a Mexican fan, seemed alot more dangerous creating there own opportunities. Particularly Messi.

Those 3 subs your coach made were the difference and pressured the proper weaknesses in our defense.

12. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Not to mention that Saviola lost the ball on many occasion notably on counter-attacks where his dribbling failed him.

13. mariealus

mariealus New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    I flippin knew it!
    Argentina underperforms, still wins and everybody get's on their case! Now the press is confident Germany will win. I doubt Argentina will play that badly against Germany but, you never know. You know there would not be any homefield advantage if the right hinchas were there

BTW I really don't like Borgetti. Not because he isn't competent technically, but because he insists that he made that goal. no 1 fifa awarded it to Crespo, instant replays show that Hernan was the last to touch the ball, no matter if Borgetti's head touched it and no 2 why on EARTH would you want to take credit for a goal that would have cost your team the game? What a jerk. No class.

14. ElGaucho

ElGaucho New Member

Aug 19, 2001
    La Plata
    I think it's because he said before the game he wanted to score a goal...

guess he couldn't help but take credit... :D

in the end it was Crespo's last touch, and that's all that matters.

15. mariealus

mariealus New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    I guess you're right.
    I was hoping to see what the Mexican players other than him and Marquez thought of the game afterwards but I didn't see anything on Fox Sports.
    Borgetti was complaining that the ref was "clearly biased" towards us.
    I thought it was pretty good reffing considering some of the crap we've seen. He bases it mostly on the "Heinze" issue, which is debatable but if the ref had given Mexico the benefit of the doubt, it would be the other way round. We always want to see the good of our team and not the bad (I include myself here).

16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

Here is a good picture which shows Crespo clearly appears to get the last touch.

17. mariealus

mariealus New Member

Feb 24, 2006

I know! I had to show that to a couple of people who insist that "argentina would not have won if it weren't for that own goal"

That is wrong for two reason.
    1) it was not an own goal
    2) if argentina would not have gotten that goal, they might have changed up the pace and scored another. so it's not certain who would have won.

btw is it just me or is the whole "sucking your thumb" after a goal a bit unsportsmanlike?

18. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    I saw Borgetti on Televisa after the game and he said his head never touched the ball.

It's a non-issue.

Congrats btw.

19. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    it was an own goal, heinze deserved a red, the ref favoured us the whole game.

the ref wasn't responsible for the offside call.

no doubt if germany get the benefit of a big call on fri, many of you will post conspiracy theories regarding fifa and so on.

exactly what the mexicans are doing now.

if you are quick to shout from the rooftops when things go against you, recognise when things go for you as well.

the heinze decision, in all probability, kept us in the wc.

the heinze decision was wrong, plain and simple, it's not even up for debate, it was a more blatent red than 90% of the reds that have been given this wc.

shame some of you can't be honest about these things :cool:

20. smd9

smd9 Guest

hey post this in the Mexican forums asap:D The play doesn't look dangerous either Borgetti is ducked down very low. Nice pic ASF,good find.

21. hoss23

hoss23 Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Perhaps an own goal (I agree with FIFA on this one...it was Crespo's goal), but it was under heavy pressure from Crespo.

The ref was responsible for the incorrect offside that negated Messi's goal in stoppage time.

22. mariealus

mariealus New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    I did not see him speak at all. I was hoping to see some of the Mexican players reactions to the game. Anyhoo, I read it on yahoo I think? that plus fans (fans, myself included), are always biased towards their team, which is why I wanted to hear the player's pov.

23. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Borgetti's not going for a header, he's kissing Crespo's shin (boot), in honor of his superior finishing skills :cool:

24. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006

:D Borgetti must be indeed very jealous.

Finished watching the France-Spain game. Spain underperforming as usual :rolleyes:. I really doubt the players have any pride at all :rolleyes: . What a shameful display. Torres flopped in such a pathetic way, Puyol was nowhere near as commanding as with Barca, Villa was a non-factor....all in all it is the same old Spain that will never win anything.

Bunch of over-rated ************** with no pride.

25. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román

Needed to quote you. *rofl*