WC Basketball Quarterfinals (R)

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SoccerScout, Sep 5, 2002.

1. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Thanks to NO TV other than US games, I have to follow everything through FIBA.com.

Current early scores:

Brazil 5 x 6 Argentina
    Spain 8 x 13 Germany

I predict a Yugo win over the US tonight.

2. Pepper

Pepper New Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Southeast Missouri
    There is tv for games other than the US. I'm watching Spain-Germany right now.

NBA TV.

3. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    NBA TV..what channel is that?

2nd Q

Brazil 16 x 18 Argentina
    Spain 18 x 25 Germany

4. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    HALFTIME

Brazil 29 x 29 Argentina

Brazil obviously doing much better than the US did against Argentina. Low scoring game.

Spain 31 x 40 Germany

Winners play each other in semifinals.

5. Pepper

Pepper New Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Southeast Missouri
    Channel 720 on Directv. Otherwise, I don't know.

6. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    go to www.clicktv.com and you can get tv listings for your cable network, and maybe NBA TV will be listed

7. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    3rd Q

Brazil 39 x 36 Argentina

Spain 42 x 42 germany

8. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Finals:

Argentina 78-67 Brazil
    Germany 70-62 Spain

9. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Nice to see that even in basketball, the US has to face a hostile crowd at home.

10. JuanRoman

JuanRoman New Member

Feb 13, 2002
    holy ************

well, it will be interesting to see what they have to say now... semi finals are:

yugoslavia vs new zealand
    argentina vs germany

looks like argentina and yugoslavia are favorites for the final ... wow

what sucks is that the nbc coverage will probably get a crap rating and the stadium will likely be emptier than before

vamos argentina

11. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    That's insane.

What the European teams have improved upon is their defense. It used to be that they just couldn't keep up with quality NBA players. In this game, Yugoslavia put the clamps on the US down the stretch. It's a far cry from the days of Drazen Petrovic.

12. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    the best part about the loss by the united states...

they will have to qualify for the olympics through the regional qualifications now. and you thought nba players didnt wanna play in the world championships? what makes you think they will want to play against cuba, barbados or trinidad & tobago?

hysterical. goes to show what nba players from the united states are really all about; themselves

13. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Re: holy ************

I dunno, seems to me like the Yugos and Argies bring more fans than the US.

14. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Exactly. If the NBA "stars" had any pride, or real love for their country they'd play these tournaments. The excuse that it's "too tiring" is absolute BS, as they play pickup games all year anyway. I've lost even more respect for Kobe, Iverson and the rest of the NBA's prima-donna pansies who care for nothing but themselves. Soccer superstars have more class and pride in their pinkies than these NBA thugz-n-gangsta wannabe's have in their entire bodies.

On another note, kudos and congrats to the Yugo's and Brazilians! It's nice to see the best athletes in their nations show the love for their country that our "superstars" only pay lip-service to.

I do commend the athletes that did care enough to represent our country! They played as well as they could really, and I for one am proud of their effort and thank them wholeheartedly!

15. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Germany vs Spain really was a Hitchcock yesterday. Secure lead at halftime, but then a 6-21 quarter - but great how the Germans fought back into the game. Also very nice of the Spaniards that they always fouled Marko Pesic at the end - he's not as secure as Nowitzki, but he's the one with the best nerves in the German team.

Now against Argentina and despite them being the favourites, there is still a good chance as Nowitzki & Co had a bad day in the group loss against them. The team wants a medal and now everything is possible.

16. Chachi King

Chachi King New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Blame Kobe Bryant, not Paul Pierce.

Shaq "im going to get surgery done during training camp not the beginning of the summer," not Ben Wallace.

And finally blame George W. Bush. Notice how under Bush II American basketball teams have been slipping up.

17. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Yeah, the NBA players only care about themselves...

I mean look at the makeup of this "Dream Team" :rolleyes:

How many of those players on the US squad would one consider "above average"?

Paul Pierce
    Eldon Brand

How about "Average"
    Michael Finley
    Reggie Miller (a bit old)
    Andre Miller

How about "Stiffs"
    Remainder of squad (including clueless Jermaine O'Neal)

18. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Dubya wasn't in office when the US "pros" nearly got beat by Lithuania at the Olympics.

19. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    These guys aren't that bad. They just can't play as a team. There are at least 50 American players at every position in the NBA. Can you really name 20 to 30 shooting guards better than Reggie Miller to make him simply average? Or the same number of point guards to make Andre Miller average? Every one of the guys on this team would be considered a top 15 player at his position and above average. How many players would play ahead of these guys, if available:

Payton, Kidd, Iverson (point)
    Allen, Bryant (shooting)
    O'Neal, Garnett, Rahim, Duncan (big men)
    T-Mac, Carter (swing players)

you could probably add a couple more names if you wanted, but players on the team are all above average to all-star caliber players who reflect the sad state of American hoops in general. other teams are taking advantage of our inadequacies.

20. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Again, I will state, there were no "winners" on this team. These guys are all great in meaningless NBA games but are shrinking violets with the game on the line. A team of Dominique Wilkins', if you will. Not one of these twelve players would've made a true US National team roster. Not even close. Jermaine O'Neal is a petulant, immature loser who had no business buying a ticket into the stadium letting alone representing our country.

21. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    I'll agree with for the most part Ian. Many of these guys are "soft" and undisciplined. J. O'Neal has got a lot of growing up to do. I doubt he ever does though. We could have benefitted from better point guard play with guys like Payton and Kidd over Miller and Davis.

Then again, most of this guys are the shrinking violet type you refer to, but who still in the league isn't? Most of these guys aren't the guys who demand the ball with the game on the line, but who is? How many "winners" do we have left in the league anyway? O'Neal, Bryant, Duncan, Jordan. Miller wasn't 100% and he has never won a title, but no one disputes the guy steps up when the game is on the line. Iverson does the same, but you'd be hard pressed to label the guy a winner. Have McGrady, Webber, Garnett or most of the other guys people have been screaming for ldone anything that places them in the "winner" category?

22. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    It's really harsh to compare this crop of Team USA to the previous generation. The teams you see in Barcelona came from the golden generation of the NBA. Just look at the caliber of the players, that generation has much more legends than the current generation. Expansion or not, even if the current league has only 24 teams, I would say the same thing.

Beyond that, we are talking about every great player in the golden generation eager to participate in the Barca Olympics, beginning with Bird, Magic, Jordan, Barkley, Malone ..., while not a top player in the non-golden generation want to participate in the current WC.

Put it this way, put the current Team USA vs the 1992 Dream Team, it will be a 25-point blow out.

23. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    That is being too kind.
    To be fair, if you could stop laughing at my request for a second, 1992 was special for many reasons.

These guys had a mission. Being the first is always easy because you can count on 100% focus, support, etc.

These guys were going to Barcelona in the summer which is quite the place to be.

These guys had sweet accomidations. The novelty was seeing these stars, which the current guys are not, together for the first and only time. Heck, they didn't even have to stay in the Olympic Village.

Regardless if I can make up more excuses for the current guys and I am not, it is the definition of unfair to ever compare the two teams.

24. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Damn that Dubya. He had to cut the taxes, so now kids can use the bit of extra money they got to go watch the Lakers instead of staying home playing hoops. The rich save enough on taxes to go to their luxury boxes and the poor save enough to sit in the cheap bleachers. Is that fair? The bottom line, is everybody is at Staples center and nobody is playing hoops. If only Al Gore was president, everybody would be paying taxes, playing hoops, and the dream team would beat Argentina. Damn!

25. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    And of course we wouldn't be back to Reagan-Bush deficit spending again and the inevitable future tax increases.