WC 2010 Drafted League Signup

Discussion in 'Games & Fantasy' started by DoctorJones24, Jun 1, 2010.

1. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    This worked out well in 06, so let's give it another go. With the 32 rosters now finalized, I'd imagine we could have up to 10-12 managers in a league, with the top 8 making it out of group play, and then knockouts from there. I'll check to see how we did it last time.

Post here to reserve a spot.

2. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hey everyone - dont think I can join this as I'm in South Africa for two weeks and wont be able to manage my team.

On the other hand, with a friend of mine we are running a World Cup prediction pool with a $10 buy in. You predict the matches and scores, not picking a team of players as fantasy leagues would. Its good fun and we had 50+ players last time and would like to top it this year.

PM me for details with your email address so I can send all the details if you're interested

3. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    In like Flint.

4. tarvinodos

tarvinodos Member+

Jul 17, 2008
    Long Beach, CA
    Of Course I am in.

5. Ingromius

Ingromius Member

Feb 3, 2000
    NW London
    I think a drafted league is sadly not possible for me this summer as I'll be in Italy and away from easy internet access for much of the tournament. It was great fun 4 years ago though, I highly recommend it...

6. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Count me in.

7. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    I'm still evaluating my time for this. I assume there will be an initial draft next week, and then another one in the later rounds when there is contraction of teams? Are there also additional drafts tied to the second and third rounds of the group phase (i.e., what happens when some substitute for South Africa scores a hattrick in the opener...) or will it be a free-for-all at the entire group phase?

Last question (for now), has it been decided what game is going to be used for this?

8. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    I finally got through the old competition threads to see how we did it last time. We pretty much made it up as it went along in 06, but it turned into one of the best drafted leagues we'd had up to that point, so I say let's go with the template set then.

Here it is:

Group Stage: pretty open on number of teams we could have. We had 11 last time, but with 32 rosters full of players available, we could really be welcoming. Drafting would get cumbersome if we get much bigger than 14-16, however.

Second Round: we eliminate teams down to the top 10 in the standing. Those 10 do a short draft of players from eliminated squads. The draft order is the reverse of the standings at that point.

Quarters: two teams eliminated, giving us 8 for the quarters. We debated this one, as I wanted to get down to 6, but the majority won out, and in hindsight, it was definitely fun to keep more managers around for longer. So our rosters will be tight at this point.

Semis and Final: two more teams gone, giving us a 4 team final spread over the semis and then the final and 3rd place game.

Here's the main competition thread for those interested in seeing how it worked last time (or for some fun reminiscing).
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=360406

Here's the separate thread for the final four:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377593

I think the staged eliminations really made it a lot of fun last time. The redrafts also were pretty quick, often only a couple rounds long, and kept people hopeful and interested.

As for blech's question about gamesite, I'm going to try to find the one most like our EPL one, which is based on the old CYKI format. Similar to the Champs League one run by UEFA as well.

Managers so far - I'll set the initial size at 14, but we can expand if needed/desired

1) Doctorjones24
    2) frasermc
    3) kopteinkc
    4) tarvindos
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)
    9)
    10)
    11)
    12)
    13)
    14)

9. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Site to use: offer your opinion.

Last time, we used a site that gave us each 12 man rosters. 1 goalie and then 11 field players (so we'd each have 1 sub per matchday). This worked out well for a couple reasons:
    - Made drafts and redrafts quick.
    - Kept the available players pretty well distributed up through the four team final round. (Nobody could stockpile Brazilians or Germans on their bench, for instance).

With that said, I'm not seeing any gamesite that offers that exact same format this time around. The contenders:

Fifa/McDonalds: 23 man rosters (totally unworkable for drafting purposes, IMO, but everyone should join Michel's open league!)

Metro: 15 man rosters (2 goalies and 13 field players)

Skysports: 11 man rosters, no salaries, 30 total transfers per team for the tourney

I would lean towards Skysports. Since we've chosen to keep as many managers around for as long as possible, this makes the most sense. Also, with all the redrafts, we should all be able to field full squads most/all of the time.

10. tarvinodos

tarvinodos Member+

Jul 17, 2008
    Long Beach, CA
    Skysports then

11. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Skysports.

p.s. Is there a link for joining Michel's FIFA based one?

12. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Join the Bafana Bafana 2010

http://en.mcdonalds.fantasy.fifa.com/

League code is: 62502-14862

13. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Just talked to Hal, and the Aviators are in, so that's:

1) Doctorjones24
    2) frasermc
    3) kopteinkc
    4) tarvindos
    5) Hal
    6)
    7)
    8)
    9)
    10)
    11)
    12)
    13)
    14)

14. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    Just give me the link to Sky Sports hosting site and the league code and I'm in.

15. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    After further review, I'm not loving the Skysports game. The scoring is weird: points for Skysport Man of Match, and points get doubled in knockout rounds. No captain.

We used Metro last time, and though they've bumped up the roster sizes, that might be the one to stick with.

Let try and decide by tomorrow so we can get the draft underway this weekend.

16. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    Being a known flip-flopper, who decides based on polls, I now switch my vote to Metro. LOL

17. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    If we go with Metro, I'd like to propose a rule that we can all only "protect" 11 of our players during that final transfer window. We don't want the 4 way final to have one team with only 3 players available, while two of the others get lucky and have their benches full of legal players.

18. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    So no Powell brothers or Michel or Clan yet, huh? We might have a small division this year...

See if you guys can recruit anyone by tonight, so we can start the draft tomorrow.

19. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    I still don't know where to sign in?

I'll be out from 7AM to 12:30 PM tomorrow.

20. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Well, Metro has gone and totally revised their game too. In addition to adding 3 bench slots, they've completely invented a new scoring system. I'm not sure that Skysports' scoring system is any more complicated. Here they are:

Skysports:

All Players, First Round Scoring:
    Anytime Appearance+1 (Awarded for being involved in the match.)
    Goal+4
    Assist+3
    Man of the Match+3 (Awarded to the Skysports.com Man of the Match. This may differ from the televised Man of the Match.)
    Yellow card-1
    Red card-2 (Includes -1 for a yellow card.)

Goalkeepers/Defenders Only:
    Defensive Game Played+1 (Awarded for playing 45 mins or more, in addition to the Anytime Appearance point.)
    Goalkeeper/Defender Clean Sheet +4 (Must play 75 mins, inc. 1 pt for 45 min appearance.)
    Goalkeeper/Defender Goal Against -1

All those scores are worth double points during the knockout stages!

http://worldfantasyfootball.skysports.com/Article.aspx?id=503

And here's a summary of Metro's...seems more like Yahoo's old scoring system!
    Scoring Points

Only players in your ‘current XI’ score points, with your captain scoring double points. Points are provided live during every game via our 'live scores' tab, found above. Our new points system is provided by FSB Points, using OPTA live stats as the basis and offers our most comprehensive performance measurement yet. FSB Points are awarded to (and taken away from) players for their attacking play, defensive play, appearance on the pitch, and fouls. Penalty shoot-outs DO NOT count for scoring purposes. All players will score points for the following actions:

Attacking Points:

• Goal Scored by a Goal keeper: 50
    • Goal Scored by Defender: 40
    • Goal Scored by a Midfielder and Striker: 25
    • Hat trick bonus: 25
    • Assist: 10
    • Penalty miss: -10
    • Own Goal: -25
    • Shot on target: 5
    • Completed passes in the final third: 1
    Defensive Points:

• Tackle won: 2
    • Blocked shot: 2
    • Clearance: 2
    • Interception: 2
    • Save: 2
    • Penalty Save: 25
    Clean Sheet (per 10 minutes)

• Goalkeeper: 2
    • Defender: 1
    I.E. For a 90 minute clean sheet, Defenders will score 9 points. If a goalkeeper concedes his first goal in the 32ndminute, he’ll score 6 pts.
    Conceded Goal

• Goalkeeper: -10
    • Defender: -5
    Appearance Points:

• Named in the starting eleven: 15
    • Brought on as sub: 5
    • Bonus per 10 minutes played: 1
    Fouls:

• Handball: -5
    • Yellow card: -10
    • 2nd Yellow card (and red card): -15
    • Straight red card: -25
    Knockout StagePoints Details All Players:Anytime Appearance+2Awarded for being involved in the match.Goal+8 Assist+6 Man of the Match+6Awarded to the Skysports.com Man of the Match. This may differ from the televised Man of the Match.Yellow card-2 Red card-4Includes -2 for a yellow card.Goalkeepers/Defenders Only:Defensive Game Played+2Awarded for playing 45 mins or more, in addition to the Anytime Appearance point.Goalkeeper/Defender Clean Sheet +8Must play 75 mins, inc. 2 pt for 45 min appearance.Goalkeeper/Defender Goal Against -2

21. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    i'm so tempted, but i'm going to pass. all of the games seem more complicated than before, particularly when you get into how the rounds work and then potentially moving players in and out of lineups. i'll probably still play a non-drafted game, but otherwise am just looking forward to enjoying watching the games.

best of luck to each of you with it.

22. 1800-WorldCup

1800-WorldCup Read Nomadic Gatherings - TravelNotes.org/magun

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sorry Jay,

I did see this thread before but didn't post until I knew if I could commit to the draft.

FIFA only released their teams yesterday and I spent a couple of hours last night trying to pick my team of 23 - within budget.

I spent a couple more hours this morning finalising my research and fine-tuning the squad.

Now I'm done with that, I was looking around at where to submit another team; what options are available and I see Soccernet also do a pick 15 game.

http://worldfantasy.soccernet.espn.go.com/app/start.jsp

I'm in; IF we can get this going today and tomorrow. It's 17.33pm here now and I'll be watching the Switzerland vs Italy match in about two and a half hours (on tv) so will be around all night.

Any game is fine by me, just not a draft on FIFA. Our open league there now has almost 500 peeps.

:)

23. 1800-WorldCup

1800-WorldCup Read Nomadic Gatherings - TravelNotes.org/magun

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I notice you were talking about scoring systems in the other two games.

Soccernet Scoring

Player is lined up in starting eleven 2
    Player appears as sub during the game 1
    Key contribution (Assist) 2
    Yellow card -1
    Red Card -3
    Penalty miss -3
    Own goal -2

Goalkeeper
    Clean Sheet 4
    Goal conceded -1
    Goal scored 10
    Penalty save 3
    Every 3 shots saved by a goalkeeper 1

Defender
    Clean Sheet 4
    Goal conceded -1
    Goal scored 8

Midfielder
    Clean Sheet 1
    Goal scored 6

Striker
    Goal scored 4

http://worldfantasy.soccernet.espn.go.com/app/start.jsp

(Just edited the formatting)

24. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Nice catch, Michel. That soccernet one looks like the closest to what we're used to, so let's do that one.

Here's where we're at with members. The nice thing about the soccernet game is that there's a salary, so even with only 6 managers, we still will have to spread out our picks amongst some cheaper teams.

1) Doctorjones24
    2) frasermc
    3) kopteinkc
    4) tarvindos
    5) Hal
    6) 1-800.WorldCup
    7)
    8)
    9)
    10)

I'll set up the division and email everyone the link/password--I'm pretty sure Hal has all your addresses.

25. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    I'm back from golf.

Will check email for game site addy and password.