WC 14 Official Ronaldo Watch 24/7 Thread

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by ---Z---, May 31, 2014.

1. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    he seems healthy he played against Greece.

2. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    really not looking good for Ronaldo and Portugal

Paulo Bento: «Mais do que lamentar temos de criar soluções»
    SELECIONADOR NÃO AVANÇA COM DATAS PARA O REGRESSO DE RONALDO E COLOCA O FOCO NAS ALTERNATIVAS
    Quinta-Feira, 5 junho de 2014 | 22:23
    Fotos: CARLOS BARROSO

[​IMG] ComentáriosVisto: 2164

[​IMG]

Paulo Bento voltou a não avançar com qualquer data para o regresso de Cristiano Ronaldo. Numa conferência de imprensa onde as dúvidas em torno da condição física do capitão foram o tom dominante - o que gerou mesmo algum desconforto junto do selecionador, tal o fluxo de questões sobre o tema -, o timoneiro da equipa das quinas lembrou que, para já, é preciso encontrar, sim, alternativas.

"Quando estiverem em condições de poder competir, logo anunciaremos. Até lá, mais do que lamentar as suas ausências ou quando poderão estar a 100 por cento, temos de criar soluções para competir da melhor maneira, como fizemos diante da Grécia", disse Bento, recordando igualmente os casos de Pepe e Raul Meireles, que falharão o jogo com o México: "[Ronaldo] Não é o único caso clínico. Temos mais jogadores com problemas físicos e a minha expectativa e opinião não mudou nada em relação à passada sexta-feira."

Ainda sobre Ronaldo, o selecionador acrescentou: "Não sei quando o poderemos utilizar. Foi o que disse na sexta-feira: quando houver algo a alterar ao que disse, iremos comunicar. Vale aquilo que nós comunicamos..."

O selecionador voltou a dar como exemplo o particular com a Grécia: "Todas as ausências limitam o nosso trabalho. Queremos ter todos disponíveis mas não tem sido possível e o que temos de procurar são soluções para tentar contrariar essas adversidades e potenciar os que temos disponíveis, procurando alternativas dentro do nosso figurino ou num diferente, como fizemos diante da Grécia."

Apesar das ausências, Paulo Bento confia num bom desempenho no Mundial: "Há que encontrar soluções num conjunto que agora enfrenta adversidades. Se possível com os 23 disponíveis. Se não, com os que estão disponíveis. Independentemente das adversidades, temos de competir e tenho a crença que o faremos."

3. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Look, if Ronaldo can't go we're royally ********ed.

Either Vieirinha replaces him in the XI or we shift to 4-4-2 with Nani and Postiga upfront, or 2 forwards with Nani in a free role, or nani and a forward with either Rafa/Meireles dropping into midfield.

--------------------------Patricio-----------------------------------
    -----------Pepe-----------------------Bruno Alves-------------------
    Periera---------------------------------------------------Coentrao
    --------------------William Carvalho----------------------------------
    -------Meireles-----------------------------Veloso----------------------
    -------------------------Moutinho--------------------------------------------
    -----------------Nani-----------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------Postiga------------------------------------------------------

I'd personally go with 2 forwards..because both of them could apply a lot of pressure from the front, drop meireles and push nani back.

4. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    CR7 has accomplished plenty but his overall mentality still leaves much to be desired. I understand trying to remain committed to his club and what not but when you have niggling injuries and chose to keep pushing your body to its limits, right before a f*cking World Cup (a career-defining one for him, at that) I can't help but think you are serious dumbass. If he can't play this WC then he can go f*ck off into obscurity for the rest of his career for all I care. I tolerated his selfishness up until now, but if its going to directly impact Portugal and its chances in tournaments then he can go back to sucking off Real Madrid's dick. The lack of foresight and wisdom he has for a 29 year old man is, frankly, astonishing. The moment he decided to play against Vallodilid I knew we were dealing with an idiot. It's no wonder he didn't even last 10 minutes.

Rant over.

nbstriker8 repped this.
  5. gutter_trash

gutter_trash Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Montreal
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    tendonitis hurts like a bitch, that pain is big.

I lashed out against internet morons on other boards who were complaining about CR7's performance in the CL Final. The guy was playing hurt and will probably returning on June 16th not at 100%.

We all want him to be 100% at WC, he will play but not at full strength. Expect him to spend weeks in recovery post-WC and miss out some early games of next season at RM

6. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    This makes no sense. Selfishness would have been protecting himself for the personal glory of the World Cup instead of trying his hardest for the club that pays his millions. He's a professional - he did what he could for Real Madrid while trying to protect himself (by not playing several of the last crucial games of the league).

7. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
  8. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    It's a blog not CNN Anderson 360.

9. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    My post last night was alcohol-fueled but I maintain my general opinion. But you are naive if you think everything CR7 does is not fueled by his own self-interest. That is my issue. You think it's purely about professionalism? Really? I appreciate professionalism, I do. But there's a certain level of responsibility and thought that needs to come into certain choices. Like against Valladolid. Why would he try and play against them when he wasn't fit? He came off 7 minutes in. The REAL kicker is him trying to play against Espanyol, when Real Madrid already lost the league, purely so he wouldn't have to share the Golden Boot with Luis Suarez. Sorry, that's not professionalism. That's him being a child.

He has his responsibilities and professional duties for Real Madrid but playing against a team where there is virtually nothing on the line, except for personal gain, when you have been unfit and injured is simple, pure idiocy. Of the highest form. As captain and best player of his country he has a responsibility. Just because he isn't paid, does not mean it is any less important than his Real Madrid role.

He did not get a season ending injury like Falcao. His injuries are from putting continuous stress on pre-existing smaller injuries. He was irresponsible and it may cost his country the ability to go far in a competition that comes once every 4 years. Period.

10. *CRistiano9*

*CRistiano9* Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Give a youngster his spot, let's face it we are very unlikely to win the World Cup with or without Ronaldo

He is been selfish, a younger player would really benefit from playing instead of him. Ronaldo has had his time playing in every international tournament since he debuted in 2003.

All this Ronaldo talk is overshadowing Portugal's preparations which is more important than 1 player. It's tedious because it's not the first time either it's about Ronaldo, like in 2008 it was transfer drama about him moving to Madrid.

I think his ego likes it.

nuno10slb4live repped this.
  11. *CRistiano9*

*CRistiano9* Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Agree

Love Ronaldo but want our Portugal back where it was about the TEAM rather than one individual.

12. *CRistiano9*

*CRistiano9* Member

Feb 26, 2010
    agree man!

and he is 30 years old soon, his body will deteriorate, that's just logical for any player (a physical freak or not) so he will pick up more and more injuries because of his stupidity and if history is anything to go by Portugal are the ones who he has less priority for.. but as long as Ronaldo gets to be the star on and off the field that's all that matters, right?

13. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ronaldo loves the game, he wants to play every game possible... he is a competitor and anytime he feels he can play he will... this is how he is. Many Portuguese players once they get their Russian or Turkish paychecks, they have reached and fulfilled their goal and hit their plateau/decline. Ronaldo despite winning everything he has won always strives to do better. He is a true Champion.

Even when Ronaldo plays ping pong, or has a race against his GF in the swimming pool he hates to lose (this he said himself I believe).

he is currently training hard, doing exercises trying to get to full fitness for the WC. Make no mistake. he wants more than anybody to destroy Germany, USA, and Ghana, and whoever comes afterwards. CR7 hates losing.

is it for personal gain and self-interest? that is exactly what haters say. he wants to win WC, because it will guarentee the ballon dor again and fulfill his ego. Ronaldo donated 1,000,000 to charity? he did it as a publicity stunt. He cried when Portugal lost in Euro 2004, he doesnt care about Portugal losing. he only cares that he lost and this affects his legacy. it was a publicity stunt so that young girls think hes cute and sensitive and buy his merchandise.

14. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    yeah I want Portugal back to when we could never qualify for WCs too, boy It was fun how I had to wait until I was 15 to see Portugal play in a first WC in my lifetime despite idolizing those players as a kid. then we lost to the USA and Korea.

than Ronaldo came thankfully.

Vocalz and dipluso repped this.
  15. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ohh, the memories back then...

16. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    That game was a disgrace. Everyone is quick to say Korea had the refs in their pockets...... Did those people watch this game? Portugal sucked and had poor discipline. All they had to do was play the game and they would of smoked the Koreans but the hooker banging sessions were too much for those losers to handle.

17. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Also, a pretty worrying trend with our country:
    Z may actually have a point (serious).We seem to prosper as a world power ONLY when we have an arguable 'best player in the world' in our squad. 66 with Eusebio, the Figo Era, and the CR7 era. It seems like they need a leader to succeed or else they simply underperform. Hopefully Marcos Lopes can carry the torch.

18. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007
    ---Z--- repped this.
  19. Laaura

Laaura Member+

Apr 2, 2009
    Manchester
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  20. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Pepe is still not ready, trained on his own.
    I assume he's out for the friendly against Ireland.

21. D.I.P.

D.I.P. Member

Jul 8, 2008
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Don't expect to see CR7 vs Ireland either... Meireles MIGHT play a half though.

22. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007
    I agree, Ronaldo and Pepe definitely won't play on Tuesday. Meireles is a possibility

23. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portuguese football has improved tactically. I still think if we have a solid team in the future post-CR7, but no one who could be an obvious ballon dor candidate we could still perform well. provided someone can score goals of course.

talent was never lacking with Portugal. technically Portugal was always amazing, but they were often tactically naiive and weak at defending, and were weak mentally. this has changed. Ever see footage of guys like Chalana, Antonio Oliveira, etc play with the ball? they were magicians.

24. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Great point. I think Portugal have finally found their 'style'. We're defensively very good and hit hard on the counter. We're like Italy but more technical. That is where our strengths lie.