Ways To Get Back At Aeg

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by daveamoose, Dec 15, 2005.

1. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Sharks came forward but what transpired will be left up to us to guess or until SSV spills the beans about negotiations or lack thereof.

2. swissard

swissard Member

Feb 5, 2003
    For all those that question the blame being placed on AEG, please remember they are in the entertainment biz, and have always been interested in a venue (stadium) more than a team. Why else were all their sales efforts contingent on a stadium deal. No need to concern yourself with performers when you control or own the stage. Perhaps they were just out AEGed by Spartan Shops in their game.

3. chowhog99

chowhog99 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pass the Tissues
    I have 3 tickets to sell to US vs. Norway in Home Depot Center (AEG stinking camp)

If only I didn't buy them in the first place. shucks.

4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still haven't cashed my refund check for the 2nd playoff game. I'm going to send it back and tell them where they can put their refund.

5. pwave

pwave Member

Jul 28, 2004
    ValleyOfHeartsDelite
    I have it on good authority that the financial arrangements in Houston are worse than they were in San Jose.

6. chowhog99

chowhog99 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pass the Tissues
    gotta guy guys. After drying my tears several times, I have to dash home & collect the dirty diapers and German Shepherd dung and package it off to get to Don Garber in time for Xmas.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES
    RIP 1996-2005
    We BELIEVED and they took it away.

7. SambaJ

SambaJ Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    Why would you sell your Nats tickets? To prove a point and get back at AEG? You're only depriving yourself, it seems to me.

8. Screech Powers

Screech Powers New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Highlands Ranch, CO.
    I hope that Houston fails miserably. And all you idiots that keep posting about attendance records, get a point that actually makes sense. Throw out all the bs double header attendance figures, and SJ was near the top of the table in attendance.

I think we have to just come to the realization that this league is not so much a competitive division 1 soccer league, as it is an attempt by some multi-billion dollar corporation trying to use soccer as an excuse to create an entertainment venue monopoly in major US cities.

I am gutted how this league is pissing on the passion and committment of the San Jose fans. F them! This is not a true sports league, it is an fing joke!

9. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
    What happened to Club America? Had CA bought the Earthquakes, you'd at least think, "Big business ... feh." This feels worse than that.

10. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I love it, the "haves" telling the "have nots" how they should feel. Swallow glass and die a lingering death please.

11. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    What's his address? my brother has some goats and chickens.... ;)

12. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    the Nats are playing at the HDC, owned by AEG...therefore, paying to go to the HDC benefits AEG...

watch it for free on TV and save the trip down to Smell-lay...

13. bluenblack

bluenblack New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    San Leandro, CA
    We won't know until tomorrow if someone in Houston actually bought the team. I am willing to bet that AEG is going to build a stadium there.

14. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU

I feel the same

15. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think so too. This is about venues and not soccer.

16. QuakerHead

QuakerHead New Member

Oct 22, 2001
    San Jose
    They will build a stadium there if they get sufficient support.

17. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just read that post, and I'm not sure I understand. It seemed to indicate that Johnny Moore prevented the Earthquakes from becoming Club America San Jose. But wouldn't that have been far better than relocating the team to Houston?

As for AEG, wouldn't they have been far better off if they would've sold the team back in January 2004? It turned out that they stood down due to loud shouting from SSV and empty promises from local authorities, and wound up losing millions of dollars in the process. I feel pretty sorry for them, it seems like they got royally screwed by SSV, the city government, and the university.

As for the SJ fans, I think they got screwed by some horrible luck. It seems almost unbelievable that no owner could be found out in Silicon Valley. AEG held on to the team for far longer than they should have, so I don't think you can really blame them.

Plus, for anyone who has already purchased tickets for the US game at HDC, you're not really hurting AEG by not going. They've (unfortunately) already got your money.

If you hate MLS right now, that's understandable, but if you're still a soccer fan, don't punish yourself by skipping one of your few chances to see live soccer next year.

18. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does seem like it, but I have to say that we get VERY FEW extra events at Crew Stadium each year. I think we average about ONE concert per year. Seriously.

Perhaps since it was so cheap it operates under different goals than places like HDC or PHP, but in Columbus, it doesn't feel like the stadium was built for other non-soccer purposes. Crew Stadium is very much a soccer-stadium first and foremost, with little consideration ever given to non-soccer events.

19. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Club America was never going to keep the team in San Jose.
    They didn't sell the team in 2004 because Club America was full of crap and never followed through. SSV did nothing to screw AEG. Local authorities never made any promises, empty or not. They stayed one more year to give SJ a last chance to save the team. If you feel sorry for Uncle Phil losing an amount of money that to him is equivalent to the amount I spent on lunch today, I guess that's your right.

From the day AEG took over the team, they operated it in a way that could have had no other result but today's.

They don't have the $15-20 parking, $8 beers, etc.

20. gilmoreaz

gilmoreaz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Peoria, Arizona
    My opinion from 750 miles away is this:

FACT: MLS demanded that the only way the Earthquakes stayed in SJ is if there was a SSS built.

RUMOR: AEG would then either retain ownership of the team, or sell it contingent on their ability to manage the publicly financed SSS as part of the sale. (Rumor sent my way by a credible source...)

If this is true, who in their right mind would purchase the Quakes and pass over the rights for the management of the SSS to AEG?

Now that they are gone, and AEG is out of the picture to manage the SSS, sit back and watch what happens. The Earthquakes will be back very soon...

If I am wrong here, or if this has been mentioned I apologize. It has been a Sh!tty day for this old school Quakes fan!

21. bluenblack

bluenblack New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    San Leandro, CA
    Ha! I think you pretty much got it right! I hope that we field a team in 2007.

22. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    So then you believe that teams can be profitable without an SSS? And do you also believe that a stadium not built for other functions can be profitable on soccer alone and that cities and investors will help build them? And if so what do you think is the real reason none of the non-SSS teams are in the black?

23. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    They were only supposed to be short term owners. They stepped in to prevent the team from being folded or moving. They were there just to stop the bleeding.

24. pwave

pwave Member

Jul 28, 2004
    ValleyOfHeartsDelite
    This has been my read of the situation as far back as the first threat to move the team. It has been supported by stadium actions in DC, Jersey and Chicago: DC is sold. Chicago is next. Metros will be sold once the stadium is finished.

25. pwave

pwave Member

Jul 28, 2004
    ValleyOfHeartsDelite
    One could boycott all businesses that advertise in the Examiner. Just make sure you let the business know why you are boycotting them.