Watching Party on June 27th?

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by GraceTX, May 1, 2008.

1. GraceTX

GraceTX Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Plano, TX
    I'm coming to Portland for a conference in June and thought I'd get a chance to see Ray Burse in action with the Timbers. Unfortunately, y'all only have away games while I'm in town. I know it's early to start thinking about it, but will there be a watching party that I could crash?

Also, any good places to go so I can watch the FC Dallas/Houston game on the 26th?

Thanks!

2. Eckstoss

Eckstoss BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 31, 2007
    Since we've only had home games so far this season, we haven't yet christened a spot to watch away games. When the game is only webcast, we usually go to Slabtown Pizza and watch on the big screen. However, this will be an FSC game, so options abound. This will probably be decided in the run up to the match but will probably come down to either the Horses Brass or the Triple Nickel. Stay tuned to soccercityusa.com in the game day chat forum to see where people are watching the FSC matches. For schedule info, check www.fixturedates.com.

3. GraceTX

GraceTX Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Thanks for the information. I'll be sure to check back to see if any watching parties have been established.

I'll be staying at the Waterfront Marriott so if these places are not downtown-ish, I hope you have good public transportation.

4. j66j66

j66j66 Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slabtown is and we do. :)

Horse Brass and Triple Nickel are a short ride away on the 15. Slabtown is under the 405 between the Pearl and Northwest.

there's already planning going on for Slabtown viewing on this thread.

5. Lendog

Lendog Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Mt. Hood
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slabtown is where it's at. check out Talktimbers.com board to get the info for sure.
    Also, if you take the max to the street car you can walk to slabtown without any problem. Or just post up on talktimbers, and someone will take you under their wing so you don't miss out. Just post up and let people know you are looking for some guidence.

--CHEERS

6. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since it's an FSC match, I don't know about Slabtown, but that would be the best for you. It's just a streetcar ride away. As everybody has said Public transit is awesome. The viewing parties are usually stacked with people, but I'd imagine some will opt to stay home (though not many) for these. I'll be out at this one. Make yourself known when it happens though, you'll get a good amount of free beverages I'd imagine.

7. GraceTX

GraceTX Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Do you think Slabtown will also carry the FC Dallas @ Houston game? I think it's on ESPN 2 so I'll also have to find a location for that as well. I don't know that my hotel carries that channel.

I'm glad that y'all have good public transportation. I'm not even sure if we're hiring a car so it's easier just to plan on taking the bus or streetcar to the venue.

8. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slabtown likely won't show Dallas vs. Houston. You'd want to hit Triple Nickle, Horse Brass, Bull Pen or Marathon Taverna for that one.

9. GraceTX

GraceTX Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Are these real places or are you just pulling my leg? It's not the Portland equivalent of sending someone hunting for jackelope, is it? :D

10. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All legit. Triple Nickel is a good bet because it always shows or will if asked.

11. Lendog

Lendog Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Mt. Hood
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Totalnerd

Totalnerd New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Triple Nickel is definitely amenable to the MLS viewing (and hopefully soon they'll expand their cable/satellite package to include FSC, GolTV etc.). Plus they have very cheap and strong drinks (TOO strong? I was late to work yesterday because of them).

Horse Brass only shows English football on weekend mornings. After the games Arthur puts the TV back in the closet (this is true).

Bullpen and Bitter End are very soccer/Timbers Army friendly (in fact if you're here, you owe it to yourself to see the Bullpen, which despite its baseball name is really the most footy-looking bar in town, and I include all the Brit-pubs in that), and both have FSC.

Marathon is good too, FSC and Setanta, tons of screens - but it's a real hobo dive so be warned (personally I love hobo dives, so I'm in there a lot).

Also if you had to, your hotel room will probably have ESPN2 - but if there's a choice between that and coming to the pub to watch a Timbers away match with us, I would choose the latter.

13. GraceTX

GraceTX Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Oh definitely! I'll definite try to check out the place y'all mentioned here. I'm only there for 3 days so I don't know how many I'll get to, but I'll do my best to try each one.

14. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah If you're bored and want to watch footie and get drunker than shit and smell like ass, Marathon is the place to go when nothing else is going on. I personally LOVE the place, a real shithole, just how I like it.

Though, for the Timbers match, Beulah or Slab, no question. BullPen next to PGE Park is somewhere to check out as it's a fun bar to see once as a footie fan. You'll be jealous. It's damn fun. Bring an extra scarf. Hope you enjoy your trip here, it's a great place.