Watching Fox News makes you stupid

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    A poll came out a few weeks ago showing that a good percentage of Democrats believe that Saddam Hussein had something to do with 9/11. A few percentage pts. below Republicans. Let's not continue the generalization that Democrat = enlightened & Republican = naive fool. We all know that there are sizable groups of easily led dingbats on both sides.

2. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    I agree with you completely. I like reading the Economist, becuase they don't distort things. I hate Fox, becuase they sometimes don't give you the whole story if it doesn't fit their agenda. That's not news, that's propaganda.

3. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This is the second most-used forum on BigSoccer. I don't have time to go through every single post on every thread. The other thread fell off the front page out of disuse. Now that Dave has requested they be merged, I'm off to do so. You can climb down from your "The Moderator's a liberal!" cross now.

You can claim to distrust polls all you want, but that would be sticking your head in the sand and ignoring facts. Polls are very reliable indicators of the way a total population feels about an issue. The truth is, the populace of almost every country in the world was overwelmingly against this war, including the populaces of such "coalition" members as England, Spain, and Italy.

But of course they did. Why do just assume they didn't?

http://www.pipa.org/OnlineReports/Iraq/Media_10_02_03_Report.pdf

Congratulations. All your guesses are wrong. See how cool I am when I actually look things up instead of guessing?

Perceived Al Qaeda/Hussein relationship: 57%
    WMDs have been found: 22%
    Majority of people in world favored the war: 25%

Here's the exact wording of the last question:

"Thinking about how all the people in the world feel about the US having gone to war with Iraq, do you think: The majority of people favor the US having
    gone to war?"

If this question tricked conservatives into giving the wrong answer, then they must be stupider than I thought.

4. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ding, ding, ding, Bingo!! There are plenty of conservative news organizations that do a good job of reporting the news. WSJ, The Economist, MacNeil/Lehrer News hour (Public broadcasting, but fairly conservative)...

The reason that people who follow FOX news don't get things right isn't because FOX is conservative, that's an insult to conservatives. I think it's just hard for FOX viewers to filter out the truth in the midst of the latest high speed chase, followed by a couple of conservative and liberal blowhards, neither of whom are right, followed by an expose on botox.

5. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Thanks for providing the link to the actual study. That is much more useful than the summaries in the original links.

I don't have any problems with a liberal moderator and, I do not expect the moderator to follow every thread, but I was suprised that you started a new thread because you had actually posted in the old one.

I wanted to clear up that my guessing wasn't that bad. I'm still going throught the report but I'm not sure why you selected :

Perceived Al Qaeda/Hussein relationship: 57%
    WMDs have been found: 22%
    Majority of people in world favored the war: 25%

considering all of the different percentages reported.

In my post I was responding to what had been posted that being:

* Saddam Hussein has been directly linked with the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

* Weapons of mass destruction have already been found in Iraq.

* World opinion favored the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq.

On 9/11:

The 57% breaks down as 22% who thought Iraq was directly involved in 9/11 , and 35% who thought that Iraq had given support to Al-queida.

on world opinion
    I would assume you consider people who thought the views of people in other countries was balanced would be an "error" because they did not believe the opinion "favored" so you have to add that 31% to the 25% you mention to get 56%.

so the breakdowns would be

* Saddam Hussein has been directly linked with the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks. 22%

* Weapons of mass destruction have already been found in Iraq. 22%

* World opinion favored the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq. 56%

Which means my guessing wasn't that bad.

6. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Of course, BenReilly is right about this whole thing. While I'm no fan of Fox News in general, I read something about this recently that makes a valid point - the "untruths" themselves were slanted to generate these results.

It brought up a few positions where the results might indeed go the other way. Such as:

* President Bush claimed Iraq was an "imminent" threat.

* President Bush claimed Iraq tried to buy uranium from Niger in the SOTU.

I don't remember all of them, but those two right there would deliver a decidedly different result, even on this very board.

7. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    The difference between your two questions and the three listed at the top of this thread is, of course, that your questions rely on semantics (i.e. did Bush ever use the word "imminent?" I don't know. Did he strongly state that we had to act quickly before we were attacked? Yes) while the other questions rely on provable, unambiguous data (For example, when Bush said "We've found the weapons of mass destruction.")

8. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I see your point. Yet it still doesn't keep the media from repeating both of those lies I mentioned, even today.

9. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Again I think you're using semantics.

Did Bush ever use the word imminent? Not that I can find. Did he ever use terminology that could be implied as imminent? Certainly.

FWIW, I've never seen the word imminent in quotes in a media source that I can remember, so if we're going to use semantics, the media never said that Bush used the word "imminent."

Re: the Niger claim. It was pretty clever of his staff writers to pin that one on the British intelligence so he could cry foul when people claimed he said it. Of course, if he didn't believe it, he probably shouldn't have included it in his State of the Union address (yes, I know he said African and not Niger in the State of the Union address, but since nobody has offered any alternative venue, I think it's a fair assumption that Niger was what was intended in the speech).

10. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I've seen it as recently as this month in an AP dispatch. I don't think it's been in quotes, but when it's repeated as often as it is, then it is problematic.

I think the Bush team emphasized again and again that we had waited over a decade, and Saddam's time was running out. I'm not clear how that translated into "imminent".

I'll agree that there was plenty of spin and sell by the Bush administration in making the case for war (which I think the administration should have to answer for), but let's not get carried away.

There were a couple of other African countries mentioned. Perhaps the Congo and one other, but I'll be honest and say that I really don't remember at the moment, and I'm too lazy to dig it up.

11. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Kinda like saying Al Gore found Love Canal and invented the internet?

I agree when it comes to the imminent claim, Blair's government has a lot more to answer for than does Bush's.

Fair enough

I respect that approach :D

12. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I will have to admit that reading this complete study there is a lot of interesting tidbits. I still think the whole thing is a little to political to use it as an indicator of media performance. I will have to admit that I very seldom watch fox news so I probably should not have implied that fox was a target just because it is conservative. And I would agree that people who listen to NPR while liberal, would also tend to be more educated and would not be likely to answer factual type question incorrect.

An interesting part of the report to me was this part:

"Higher exposure to news compounds the
    effect of political positions on the frequency
    of misperceptions. Taking the average level
    of the three key misperceptions—evidence
    that al-Qaeda links have been found, WMD
    have been found, world public opinion
    approves of the war—those who say they
    will vote for Bush and have higher levels of
    exposure to news are more likely to
    misperceive. Among Bush supporters who
    say they follow the news “not at all,” on
    average, 40% misperceive. This rises to an
    average of 54% misperceiving among those
    who follow the news very closely.
    The opposite dynamic occurs for those who
    say that they will vote for a Democratic
    nominee. Among Democratic supporters
    who do not pay attention at all, an average
    of 22% misperceive. At higher levels of
    attention, misperceptions drop, so that
    among those who follow the news very
    closely only an average of 11% misperceive."

It is suprising to me that the Bush supporters who "misperceive" increased with people who follow the news closely.

It seems like those are probably more hard core supporters, and they tried to read things into the questions that they wanted to. Like I said, I could easily have found myself answering the third question wrong.

It would have been interesting to have conducted a survey like this with questions that Democrats would have had a strong political prefernce to answer incorrectly in the wake of the Lewinski affair when there was a natural tendency to want to support their president.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found that surprising too, at first. But when I thought about it more, it made aLOT of sense.

What would distinguish someone who followed the news "closely" from someone who doesn't? I would think the latter would watch maybe a half hour or so of TV news on most days. But people who would say they follow the news closely would go beyond that. What could that mean? I submit there are 3 things.

1. Reading a daily newspaper.
    2. Spending alot of time watching one of the 24 hour news channels.
    3. Reading websites.

Of those 3, only the first would really improve one's score on this, *IF* (big if) you presume that a Bush supporter would watch FoxNews and not CNN, and would read right leaning websites instead of neutral or left leaning websites.

Given that we KNOW they scored worse, we need an explanation for what is initially counterintuitive. So I think my explanation is a good one.

Conversely, looking at the liberals, we once again learn that the SCLM ain't liberal. If it were, liberals would get as much or more truth from being casual consumers of news, as they do from being news junkies.

14. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    You may be right, but the problem with this study in general, is that it is of such a limited scope, you really need to be careful what conclusions you can draw from it.

15. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    go to google or yahoo or lycos, etc. and do a search for bias and polls and you will very quickly find out that you can poll almost any subject and get every possible result. First you use a limited number of respondents, then you have to choose where you do it and the biggest part is what questions and how you ask them and how you interprete the answers. You change the variables and you change the results. It's actually quite easy.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot," Al Franken cites a similar study regarding those who listen to talk radio, with the added tidbit that while they scored the WORST, the thought they knew the MOST.

So this study didn't exactly come out of left field.

17. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much do you really know about statistical modeling? Everything you state is technically true, but a well-designed study will a) take all of this into account, and b) take steps to eliminate these effects, so that the sample accurately models the population.

You can't simply discount a study or poll's results simply because you don't like the results - you must examine the study design and find a flaw in order to disregard the results.

Trust me on this; I do scientific studies every day of my working life.

18. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I call Bullsh!t. Where is this study that talk radio listeners score worse than non-talk radio listeners. Everything I hear is the opposite. Of course, the studies I've heard of might've been factoring out the NPR-listening losers who drag down the score.

19. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Ian,

What are your thoughts on Rush going to jail? The law is the law, and he broke it.

20. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Are you judge and jury now? He hasn't even been indicted yet. Let's wait for that to happen before making Rush to judgment, pun intended.

21. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Rush is a hypocritcal bastard. I hope he remains addicted the rest of his miserable life, and that his hearing loss is the least of his medical problems caused by his abuse of "hillbilly herion."

22. Sonicspride

Sonicspride New Member

Jul 20, 2003
  23. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Your right but the point I am making is that you can't just take any poll and say "look at the results it must right." All these people are taking this info as if God had spoken. I think anyone with intelligence has to question something like this, since it is so biased, just as I would say the same thing if it was the other way around.

24. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is it biased? Show me. Hint: it's not biased because it has a result that you don't like.

Find an error in the methodology, and we'll talk.