Watch Party for 5/17: Wizards at DC United

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by KC Salty, May 12, 2003.

1. KC Salty

KC Salty Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saturday, May 17th.
    Wizards at DC United
    LIVE on Fox Sports World
    kickoff at 6:30 pm central time

Are people interested in getting together again to watch this? I ask because I know that several people have FSW.

I, for one, would like to continue to get a group together. The last watch party at Coach's was a huge success. All three high definition big screens were tuned into the Wizards game, and the manager tuned the smaller TVs on to the Crew v Rapids and the Fire v Earthquakes. Plus Coach's did in house advertising letting their clientele know that they would be televising soccer on Saturday. The place was packed with blue clad fans. The crowd exploded for the Wizards three goals and gave out a cheer when Glenn Davis and Marcelo Balboa gave the 'shout-out' to the Wizards fans at Coach's. It was like being at a bar that has the NFL Direct ticket on a Sunday in the fall. It was nice to be catered to in this way.

So do people want to go to Coach's again this week? I do. But here are some things to consider: The game is not going to be broadcast on HDNet, so our game will probably be on the smaller screens if we do go there. However, based on the way that they catered to us last week, I'd say it is a safe bet that they would turn up the sound so we could hear and see our game on the small screens while the high definition broadcast of the Crew v Earthquakes plays mute on the big screens. Furthermore, since people who have FSW have an option on where to watch, it is not as likely to be that crowded this Saturday.

I'm all for it. If people want to continue to gather to watch, I'll call Coach's and give them another heads up. Reply and let me know if you want to do this.

2. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    absolutely

3. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    While i think that they have been very accomodating, and the place is as nice as any sports bar, the food could be a lot better, and so could the prices. But if that's where everyone is going to be, I will show up. It's not that far of a drive for me since it's really close to state line.

4. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've just been driving to Kansas City too much, and I have family stuff to do in Lawrence that day. We'll be having a watch party at the SoccerDen (tm) for this one.

5. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like Beth and I got out of the babysitting gig, so we will be able to make it.

6. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    I'm in

Count me in. The last watch party was awesome. Who knew all those fans would turn out and to have some of the Wizards themselves was great. If it's at Coach's count me in. I could sure use another of those BPS chicken sandwiches. MMMMM.

Chris

7. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be a no show for this one! Staying at home to watch all the games.

8. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I really can't justify driving 1/2 hour to KC for bad food and expensive beer when I can pick up a 12 pack of High life and Chipotle and head to the Soccer Den (TM) to catch the game with thje rest of the Lawrence crowd.

9. KC Salty

KC Salty Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just wondering what you've been ordering as this is twice you've mentioned bad food. While I'll concede that Coach's menu won't win any blue ribbons, I would not construe it as bad either.

I've had a number of different items there, and they've all been satisfactory, and the Reuben was quite good.

10. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    The food

While I will agree the prices are a bit steep, I personally think the food is terrific, at least what I order is (BPS fried chicken sandwich). How about a thread to help out those trying to figure out what to eat there?

While there were only about 20 of us in the bar, it really was great being able to see it with that many people, course I couldn't see it at all at home. Darn Comcast.

Chris