Watch list Midfielders Orange team

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Couldn’t have put it better myself. This is why I wanted so bad for Stengs to get selected and be an option at 10, but he messed it up for himself. Now we’re stuck with only one solid option there in Klaassen.

He is great with Ajax, but unfortunately this hasn’t translated well to the NT yet. This is why Ihattaren’s situation is so darn disappointing.

I think FdB did say that players who haven’t been selected can still get in. With that being said, I still hold out some hope that Stengs has been shaken up by his exclusion and puts on a clinic from now on. I think he has great potential at AM. He’s just too lazy.

2. You're a ManUnited fan, so no love for any Liverpudlian players.

3. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Gino is playing in a different system in Oranje. He is not required to making plays, orchestrating attacks or making jaw-dropping passes (that Frenkie's job) - so in that sense, he does not need to be the classical no. 10 for Oranje. What's required of Gino is to pressurize the defense without the ball, play simple passing combinations (holding the ball and not losing possession), and more importantly, make forward runs to the box as a support striker.

4. Wasted words on certain posters in here, who take the trouble to go to the Barca thread to diss Gino, as he could be moving to Barca.
    How pathetic is your hate for Gino that you do that?

5. Koeman is aiming at emulating the highly successful Orange combo Gino-Memphis at Barca. The same configuration FdB took apart.

richsavare and BaritoPutra repped this.
  6. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    FdB shifted Memphis to the left (to accommodate Luuk) - that's a huge mistake! As you said, unsurprisingly, the Gino and Memphis combo fell apart.

It is interesting that, by my highly unscientific observation, under FdB, both Gino and Memphis have been the most criticized (and hated) players by posters.

Wonder why... :thumbsdown::whistling:

7. Yeah, but certain posters were hate mongering Gino, even when he was delivering in that combo, including the necesary contribution in that set up by de Roon.

8. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Ah, yes, the classic “if you don’t like him as a player it must be because you’re a hater”. Are you 12? Grow up.

You being a Feyenoord fanboy surely has no bearing on you ridiculous reactions.

9. Lumping together a bunch of players with (the) high(est) club ratings isnot the same as creating a strong team dynamic.

10. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Same role. Maybe number things get lost in translation but going from the tradition 442 were you had an Attacking mid and a defending mid. In the 433 and it's variants the striker that use to be the 10, the one that could create his own goals, has dropped into the midfield. So now you have the 10 the attacking mid, the 6 the defensive mid and the 8 the box to box mid. He is a little bit of 6 and 10 and helps in both midfielders do their job. That is Gino, he is an 8.

11. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    My midfield 3 would be Frenkie, Gini, and Gravenberch.
    I would like to see Frenkie playing farther up the field looking to make that killer pass to Memphis or hopefully Weghorst.

12. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Neither is lumping together players from your favorite club and snarking at anyone having a different opinion on them.

13. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Regardless of the numbering system, the whole point I am trying to drive is the fact that Gino has never been, and would not ever be, a creator or orchestrator in Oranje - in spite of his position being the tip of midfield (furthest front). And honestly, that's really a good thing! Because Oranje needs the ball to be with Frenkie de Jong a lot on any attacking scheme. In Oranje, Wijnaldum thrives the best as a link-up player, a runner and a support striker.

In fact, I would argue that the very moment Gino is constantly hoarding possessions, dwelling on the ball more than ten seconds, and spraying cute passes left and right.... Oranje is in deep, deep $hit! That can only mean that Frenkie has been taken out of the game and/or FdB is smoking and high on something that I don't want to know :cautious:

Deadtigers repped this.
  14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Let's keep the discussion civil! Any one using insulting language will receive penalty points with no exceptions. It's OK to disagree but don't get personal.

Thanks, your friendly MOD.

15. Well, in this set up with both Frenkie and Gravenberch I'm not sure of Gino being the player to be the first hurdle for the opponents attack. In that case I would consider another player. although not thought about it to be able to name one.
    Gravenberch defensive alertness is somewhat lacking atm.

16. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    I can understand keeping it civil. Last time I remember you also saying something about doing something about obvious baiting. Does he get a warning too? Did you see the post I quoted? I have no problem getting reproached as long as it’s consistent and fair.

Otherwise you might as well not leave it at just a warning and just ban me. I’ll gladly stop posting in here if that’s the standard.

17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    @Jpows - I periodically have to give a warning to folks. We have a new person posting today who elicited some comments. I did warn someone the previous time via PM. I don't mind arguments, just don't get personal.

18. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I hate you all equally :)

Deadtigers repped this.
  19. But some are more equal than others.:):D:p

20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You guys really want me to resign my position. Without a MOD, this forum disappears!

21. Noooo, we love you.

22. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    It won't surprise me a bit if Gravenberch is making a noise this Euro. He's going to start on the bench for sure, but will be pushing for a place in the first XI sooner than some people might anticipate... leaping over the likes of Klaassen or V.d. Beek, De Roon, etc. First and foremost, needs to get him mentally prepared and engaged. I think being around and motivated by the influential Oranje Big Boys (Frenkie, Memphis, De Ligt, Wijnaldum, Blind, etc.) will accelerate his maturity and readiness.

Frenkie and Ryan are the future of Oranje midfield for the next decade!!

richsavare, gabrielguilarte and Orange14 repped this.
  23. DutchHuskie

DutchHuskie Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    May 6, 2020
    Very important player for both Liverpool and Oranje. Excels in various roles and systems. Definitely worthy of praise. Midfield 3 of him Frenkie and Gravenberch is very good.

24. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    consistency is a big problem especially in every second game. creativity is limited. not a true attacking midfielder who can pull strings when its needed the most but instead fades away. I honestly think we will have to wait for xavi simons , if and when he arrives on the NT Stage.

Jpows repped this.
  25. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Gino can be a solid 8 but you need a very good 6. Plus he is not that creative.

Look at this pass by Artiski say 2:40

Side comment: this was one of the most beautiful passes I have seen all season. If it was Messi, people would be losing it.

This pass is a well weighted through ball to the attacker in full stride, splitting 3 defenders. Gino can't make that pass. A Schneijder or VDW make that pass 8 out of 10.

Who in the current midfield can make that pass at that level.

Jpows repped this.