Watch list Defenders Orange team

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Oct 11, 2019.

1. wilson00

wilson00 Member+

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  2. Yeah, unlike Orange14 I always saw his potential as a top quality defender. The point however that saw him out of Feyenoord was his injury prone body. Injuries at all clubs came in the way of breaking through.
    It's kind of the same atm with Kik Pierie, of whom I'm a fan since he debuted at iirc 17 in the SC Heerenveen back line.

However the back line isnot the one we have to worry about insufficient replenishment of stocks.
    So this really doesnot matter.

3. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    Rumor in Inter circles is that ManUtd looking to pick up Dumfries.

4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    those were the only years he was healthy. I think he must be hurt again as I don't see that he has played for Excelsior.

5. He did play the last match and scored a beautiful goal.
    Sparta unfortunately chose the wood choppers football style to try to kick out menace Couhaib Driouech out of the match.

6. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Very unlucky OG by Botman.
    Not really his fault

7. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

8. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    vDijk just got robbed by a bullshit VAR call :mad:

9. Why arenot you watching Ajax?

10. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    Van Dijk is clutch, 7th trophy with Liverpool, worth every pound of transfer, one of the best defenders in EPL. Gravenberch with a boot and clutches, not looking good.

Brilliant Oranje repped this.
  11. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  12. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Beautiful winner from the Captain!! His first goal (that was disallowed) was also excellent, if not slightly more clinical, as he had his shirt pulled the whole time. 2 header goals in 2 consecutive matches!

13. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    If you watch the game, you will see how amazing Van Dijk was at both end, defensive and offensive. Liverpool was missing many starters compare to Chelsea, and Van Dijk is the difference. None of other current player is as good as a game changer like he is (although Frenkie comes close).

14. I watched the AZ - Ajax match and then the highlights of it.
    Voetbal International dedicated an article about the Ajax defending
    upload_2024-2-26_17-49-3.png
    Defending? Ajax just doing whatever.

I've watched Hato now in several matches and in this last one it again was glaring obvious. He's incapable to defend in a one on one situation. The way he allowed van Bommel score the first one is simply inexcusable and he ran into similar troubles in the match, but luckily for him not resulting in goals. These one on one confrontations are a major weakness and have nothing to do with the overall woefull state of defending by Ajax.

15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This is an unfair criticism of this particular play. It was first Gaaei's fault for conceding the ball to easily (and he did this later in the half that led to him being subbed off). then you need to look at the positions of both Rensch (most at fault IMO) and Sutalo who should have had that covered. Hato who was at LCB in a back three ends up being the last man standing and I venture to say that it is always going to be difficult to take on a pacy winger in a one v one situation. We'll see how Hato develops and certainly he needs some more strength and remember he is still 17 years old. Personally, I think he will be a better defender than J. Timber but that doesn't mean he makes the NT automatically.

The AZ CB, Goes, is also a good prospect but also needs to get stronger. Amazing how many good defenders are coming up in the Eredivisie..

16. I specifically mentioned his one on one actions. This as I stated are unconnected with the shit situations Hato gets into because of his team mates. He several times, I already mentioned it some time ago, displays inability to go into one on one situations that he can win.
    Obviously the run van Bommel could do was the result of collective failure up field, but it's his job to stop strikers coming on to him one on one and he completely lacks that capability. It was laughable how simply van Bommel could outmanouvre him to score the first goal. It was a personal failure, not of his team mates. It was his luck the other ones didnot end up in a goal, because now these mistakes don't get listed, which would have been the case if these ended up in goals by AZ too.
    He's young, so time enough to improve on it, as he has the talent, but for now he has to tread back a few lines and let others take his spot as first to consider for the Orange Squad.

17. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Ten Hag confirmed that Malacia is out for the season... :x3: will miss Euro this Summer as well. Poor kid - just couldn't get healthy. Guessing that we will see him back in Eredivisie before too long to reboot his career, especially if Ten Hag gets sacked at the end of the season...

Clash of the titans this weekend: Virgil van Dijk v. Nathan Ake :geek::geek: Still a lot of games to be played, but this one feels like a winner-takes-all matchup. Koeman is so lucky to have two top-shelf defenders playing at high-level. No reason to play three central defenders... Ditch 3-5-2/5-3-2, and revert to 4-3-3!

18. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Virgil Van Dijk played a heck of a game… an obvious choice for MOtM. So many blocks and clearances, and made Haaland looked like a Bas Dost twin. :p

Ake was so unfortunate with a lazy pass leading to Liverpool PK, but I thought the GK made an unnecessary tackle as Darwin wasn’t going anywhere… other than that, Ake had a very solid game as well!

Very fun match to watch!

richsavare repped this.
  19. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Totally agree on your quick analysis.
    My concern is Gakpo is not doing much coming on late as a substitute meanwhile Harvey Elliott starts at RW and later moves into his normal midfield position playing the full match.
    Personally I’m not totally convinced by Gakpo and I hope he does not walk straight into Koeman’s starting XI for Oranje based on his form and lack of minutes.

20. wilson00

wilson00 Member+

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Van der ven was exceptional as well for spur vs Villa and will soon give Ake a run for his money. Check out his recovery on Watkins around 0.37 onwards

21. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Looks like quite an eventful evening for Frimpong… :geek: First, he got beaten in the air while giving up a goal. Then he was running through on goal, got pulled and the opposing player got red carded as a result of that. Shortly after, his team was down 0-2. He scored Leverkusen’s first goal on a nice volley to set a dramatic turnaround in stoppage time. Final score 3-2. Leverkusen moved on to the next round.

22. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Botman out for 6 months

23. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023