Watch list Defenders Orange team

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Oct 11, 2019.

1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    He wasted some serious years there. But he had TAA ahead of him (a world beater and local darling) and at Wolverhampton they screwed him by buying Semedo, another Mendes client. That was not expected.

Some tough luck. Especially at Wolverhampton simply not a fair chance. At the age of 16 he had a very good debut for Liverpool back then.

2. Yeah, but the fact remains the ones who stayed to make flying hours in the Eredivisie went on huge transfers abroad and an Orange Squad spot.
    If you, your parents (being basically still kids) and your agent can't process the info for over a decade now available, it's your (crew) stupid decision. You wasted precious formative soccer years you most likely than not never will be able to catch up.
    My mantra still holds, going abroad before 20 and without at least two years Eredivisie is heading for the bin.

Orange14 repped this.
  3. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Reportedly Sven Botman to Newcastle is a done deal. This would be a great move for him. High-quality opponents in EPL, and a better exposure overall. I have no doubt he will make a run and push for a spot in Oranje W.C squad... his main competition is aging Bruno Martins Indi o_O:p

richsavare and Oranje Agony repped this.
  4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Martins Indi is the same age as van Dijk. Is he an aging defender?

5. Bruno kept Messi at bay in 2014.

6. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    No, that was Nigel de Jong with Vlaar as cover. Vlaar was outstanding that game.

The main marking job was on De Jong. Except when Messi went completely to the sidelines.

7. Oranje Agony

Oranje Agony Member

Nov 22, 2016
    SF Bay Area
    As long as Botman gets regular starts there, then I'm all for it.

Has he ever been capped by the senior Netherlands team? (His Wikipedia stats are through Dec 2021.)

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  8. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Who the hell wants to play in Newcastle though??!! :eek:

Shit weather.
    Shit food.
    Shit nightlife.
    Shit everything.

The only good thing about that town is the beer

9. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Nope... he has not been capped in Senior Oranje. IIRC he was included in the provisional selection at some point last year, but didn't make the cut.

The U21 conveyor belt "released" a bunch of young players recently to the Senior team... Koopmeiners, Malacia, Gakpo, Lang, Teze, Scherpen, etc. I think Boltman should have been part of that batch - but for whatever reason, seems like he was always "needed" for Jong Oranje. The three or four matches that I watched him at U21 level, he was surely a man among boys.

Boltman, Bakker and Geertruida are uncapped players, who to me would be a great addition to Oranje from Defender standpoint... at least to be tested and keep the options plenty. Also still also have Frimpong in the fold, when he's back from injury. And then there's Rensch (capped once in Oranje), who should be benefitting from a lot from Mazaroui leaving Ajax.

Oranje Agony repped this.
  10. I've sent a picture of your boat to my nephew's wife from Newcastle.:devilish:

11. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    My yacht comes armed with torpedoes ;)

12. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    I also hope Botman can succeed. Young players should learn from VVD's path, going to small club where you can play regularly first, then you have a chance to gain experiences and get better, rather than going to big club (Chelsea, ManCity, MU, Liverpool, Spurs, PSG,...) being loaned out and bounce around from 1 club to another and then have to come back to Eredivisie. There are too many like the latter.

Oranje Agony repped this.
  13. Oranje Agony

Oranje Agony Member

Nov 22, 2016
    SF Bay Area
    I'd think the (presumed) large increase in Botman's paycheck should ease the pain.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  14. She got knives:
    Eliza Clark: 'I'm from Newcastle and working class. To publishers, I'm diverse'
    Chloë Ashby
    The author of Boy Parts is keen to stress that she is not underprivileged – and nor is she anything like her sadistic young antiheroine

[​IMG]

15. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Reading some reports today that M. Utd is hijacking Tyrell Malacia's move to Lyon. Bidding war - that's cool!! Hopefully Feyenoord is able to squeeze more juices out of the transfer fee. It'd be interesting to see how Malacia would in EPL... seems too lightweight to me. Great prospect though.

16. Two Dutch coaches fighting for Malacia.

17. Oranje Agony

Oranje Agony Member

Nov 22, 2016
    SF Bay Area
    Seems hard to see Lyon outbidding Man U. I prefer the outcome which is best for Malacia, rather than best for Feyenoord. (If those two things are different.)

18. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Wijndal to Ajax? Malacia to M.U? Wow… the LB position in Oranje is suddenly looking really bright (if those two players succeed in their respective new clubs, that is). Blind Jr. can finally retire…;)

Oranje Agony and gabrielguilarte repped this.
  19. :rolleyes: Don't count on that. I read somewhere (I can't recall if it was quoting the coach) that with Wijndal options now are available to move him into the midfield, which gives LvG/Blind combo the excuse to do the same in the Orange Squad at the cost of ...let's guess ... Koopmeiners?

20. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Malacia to Man Utd confirmed. Best wishes for him! I see him as a solid second or third option at the moment (behind Shaw, possibly Telles as well) - but hopefully his connection with Ten Haag and familiarity with the Dutch system will earn him plenty of minutes. Definitely need to hit the ground and running with the place in the W.C. squad at stake! Otherwise, I think Wijndal can give him a run for his money!!

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm sorry but this was the worst choice for Malacia even with EtH. The EPL is just not right for his skill set. I don't see him beating out Luke Shaw who is bigger stronger and just as fast.

22. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    The odds are certainly against Malacia. The last six Dutchmen (two of them were LB's) wearing M.U jersey have been underwhelming, to put it mildly... Buttner, Blind, Memphis, Fosu-Mensah, Chong and Van de Beek.

Time to break the curse!!!

23. Well, the difference this time is he has a Dutch coach, who's familiar with building a team of players that connect with each other, different from the years before when ManU wasnot a football club, but a brand with a collection of players with star status to be marketed to the plastic imbecil fans in Asia and the USA (You excluded Deadtiger:D).
    The only thing coaches needed to do for the management was to get into the CL, so 3d place (4th already is a problem) was necesary. That became problematic as you can ignore football necesities only for a limited time.

24. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Last time I looked van Gaal was Dutch and he brought in Blind and Memphis.;)

25. He was practicing for the Orange job and didnot have the free hand EtH has now.